Which Cabinet for Mesa Boogie Nomad 100

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ImGrand, May 27, 2020.

1. ImGrand

ImGrand TDPRI Member

Hello,

So I‘ve bought a Mesa Boogie Nomad 100 Head, now I’m looking for a cabinet for it. For what do I have to look in case of ohm and wattage of a cabinet ?

The Nomad has 100 watts, one 8 Ohm and two 4 Ohm outputs

And which cabinets would fit for it (2x12) ?

and are there maybe also some suggestions of good cabinets

I found a few that might be interesting also because I don’t want to spend that much money at the moment for a cabinet

Harley Benton G212 200 watts 8 Ohm

Harley Benton G212 Vintage 120 watts 8 Ohm

Palmer CAB 212 V30 OB 120 watts 8 Ohm

Marshall MR1936 150 watts 8 Ohm

or should I maybe look for a used one ?

Thanks in Advance

2. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

3. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

Check the Mesa Boogie Nomad manual (available on Mesa Boogie site) for correct amp -> cabinet impedance matching. Basically for a single cabinet you can run the 8 ohm output -> 8 ohm cab, or 4 ohm output -> 4 ohm cab. You could also run each 4 ohm output to 2 x 8 ohm cabs for a dual cabinet impedance-matched connection. Mesa also advises it is acceptable to mismatch where the cab impedance is 2x the amp output (i.e. 8 ohm output into 16 ohm cab).

For wattage, the general rule of thumb is you want 2x the amp output, i.e. for 100 watt head look for 200 watt cabinet. It depends on how hard you plan on driving it though. (I.e. 120 watt is probably okay if you aren't turning it up to full volume or distorting it).

The next question is whether you want 1, 2 or 4 speakers. These cabs all have different tonal characteristics and it is really a personal choice. I like 2 x 12 myself.

If budget is an issue you could also consider building a cabinet yourself. I'm crap at woodworking but managed to make a 2 x 12 cabinet without too much difficulty. (Doesn't look pretty, but it does sound good).

4. ImGrand

ImGrand TDPRI Member

Crobbins likes this.
  5. ImGrand

ImGrand TDPRI Member

Thanks,

it should be a 2x12 because I want to take it to the rehearsal room and use it at home as well, a 4x12 would be too heavy and probably too much for at home

due to the wattage do you think a 120 would do it fine at rehearsal room volume or can I damage the amp or the cabinet by doing that ?

6. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

Well, again it depends. When I played in a band, I'd rehearse using a Nomad 55 combo in the gain channel with pre-amp and power-amp saturation and volume full (or at least, at the point where turning the master only increased distortion, not volume). The stock speaker was Celestion C90 Black Shadow which has a power rating of 90watts, and I never had any issues with it.Other guys can happily rehearse with a 15 watt amp with no headroom issues. It depends on what 'rehearsal room volume' is for you.

I assume the 120 you are looking has 2 x Celesion V30s rated at 60W each. From the Celestion website:

"The value chosen (power rating value) is low enough so there's little or no risk of damage, but high enough for the speaker to fulfill the application it was designed for. It is NOT an absolute limit above which you must never go, more like a "speed limit" You can exceed the limit if you want, but it's not recommended and if you do, there may be trouble ahead...Generally, you can safely run a 60-watt Celestion speaker at 60 watts and it'll keep going all day long.* Connect it up to 100 watts and it might work for an hour or more before it incinerates. "Over-power" any speaker and it'll work fine for a while; just don't bank on it lasting.

(* Extreme use can break a speaker at lower-than-rated power levels. For example a sustained drop-tuned Metalcore pummelling through vintage-type speakers would almost certainly cause damage.)"

From what I understand, amp output ratings (your 100 watts in the Nomad) are based on maximum clean volume, so they can be exceeded by driving the power amp into distortion. Unless you are planning to do this (overdriving the power amp) for extended periods, you should be okay. But if you're not sure then it may be worth investing in higher power rated speakers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.