Which Bridge?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Mark the Moose, Dec 21, 2020.

1. BigBillow

BigBillow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

For a first build, this may be a bit much to take on.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    tubelectron and thesamhill like this.
  2. BigBillow

BigBillow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

FWIW...I was looking for a bridge for new built too. These two ended up seeming like good values.

Wilkinson compensated and one from philadelphialuthiertools.com. Went with the latter, as it was made in USA.

If you search 'no logo' in Reverb, you can find the Wilkinsons without branding.

upload_2020-12-23_10-9-7.png upload_2020-12-23_10-10-8.png

EDIT: expecting bridge to get here after Xmas, so can't comment on quality yet.

3. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

For a long time I was a 3 saddle kind of guy. I got a new t Tele recently with a 6 saddle bridge with the bent steel saddles like on a Strat. Very nice so far. Lots of good options. I have swapped bridges and saddles around for many years.

4. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Avoid like the plague.
    This isn't a guitar bridge, it's a rattlecan.

notroHnhoJ and oldfish like this.
  5. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

That would be a red flag...

notroHnhoJ likes this.
  6. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Why not look at a left-handed bridge? Route is just a little different and puts the pickup slant to very slightly add twang to the wound strings and cuts out a little of the ice pick on the plain strings. Glendale "straight plate" is another good option and they make high quality stuff. Their compensated saddles are great too, can also recommend Rutters parts.

Mark the Moose likes this.
  7. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I used the Wilkinson compensated on mine. Only thing I changes was to convert all the screws to slotted. I wanted to give it the look of a 52 (even with compensated saddles).

It intonates perfectly (for me). Word of warning: string thru can be a problem if you've never done such a thing or don't have a drill press. Good training stuff here using the search box.

8. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Friend of Leo's

Wilkinson licenses 2 vintage style bridges, Sung-Il and Gotoh. The Sung-Il WTB is the basic workhorse compensated 3 saddle bridge and the Gotoh WT3 has an unusual screw intonation adjustment.
    http://www.sung-il.com/bbs/board.php?bo_table=b031_10
    https://g-gotoh.com/product/wt3/?lang=en

Latterly Gotoh has produced vintage style bridges called the "In-Tune" series which are very good. There is a suggestion the saddles are "similar" to the MR ones. Like all Gotoh products they are very well made.
    https://g-gotoh.com/productList/in-tune-saddle-series/?lang=en

9. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

I'm partial to the cheapest Fender Tele bridge I can get (I *think* they have "Pat. Pending" or something like that stamped into them; something like that.....) with the 3 brass saddles. I do buy a set of compensating saddles for these bridges to use in place of the standard Fender ones that come with these cheap bridges.I wish I could recall what brand the saddles are, and what they cost. Not too much, if I know myself. :rolleyes: But anyway, I take a 1/16" drill and drill six holes in the back, vertical part of the bridge (one on each side of the 3 adjusting screws), and make it a toploader.

I use the string-thru holes from another bridge as a template of sorts to get the string spacing right on the one I'm drilling. I use a piece of 1/4" or 3/8" MDF as a spacer of sorts when I clamp it in my vice for laying out the hole locations and for drilling. I center punch a slight divot where the strings wil go, and carefully drill them freehand. Have never broken a drill doing this, but I have only done 3 of them......

Tonally, my ears notice no difference. I notice no difference in sustain. String changes are nice and easy, and string bending seems to be easier.

I probably saved hundreds of dollars by not having to buy string ferrules for the back of the body. :D But mostly I saved myself not having to drill string-thru holes for my builds in the future. :cool: ;) One less step or thing to go wrong......

Jimmie

10. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

dear moosie, go with the six saddle modern style bridge and use Graph Tech String saver saddles I have string savers on my strat and they have been a wonder
    the modern six saddle has been used on many signature telecasters. Look at a James Burton signature Telecaster.
    The Ritchie Kotzen signature tele has them too.
    Tele superstition sez no! bad boojum! bad, bad, bad. Don't be sucked in buy luditism
    some people will swear the world is flat, and that electricity is the devil in a bottle ,round tires are bad, god lives in the T.V. and that questioning consensus reality is the worst crime of all.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    Mark the Moose likes this.
  11. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

I’d say, and its been noted here by others, opt for the old school stamped steel bridge for maximum Tele’-ness. Sometimes a heftier “modern”
    bridge just doesn’t get it, I found this out the hard way as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.