Which bridge do you like to convert Strat to 2 1/16th Spacing with 2 7/32th 6 Point holes?

giogolf

Tele-Meister
Hey All,

So my crusade continues as Ive been scouring the interwebs for some Fenders for cheap.. My latest acquisition is a 2002 Highway One Strat in Transparent Cocoa w/ Rosewood board.. I like the guitar.. kinda.. plays like crap.. but I solved most of it with a full break down and setup.. but its in desparte need of fret leveling from 15-22 as the tongue lift prevents full step bends on 1-3 at 13-15. Also, the string spacing drives me nuts.. High e isnt off the board but its to far out for my liking. So I educated myself and found out that Fender likes to screw with string spacing over the years.. I get it, easier finger picking, blah, blah blah.. But its not for me.. I firmly on team 2 1/16th.. I also do not want to drill holes as I like to keep my equipment as stock as possible..

Ok so my bridge options, "that I know of" are Highway one bridge from 2006 and on which use 2 7/32th mounting screws with 2 1/16th string spacing.. eBay has them for $70ish.. This seems like a no brainier as it retains a non moded look, but..

Wilkinson has the 5+1 vintage bent saddle with 2 1/16th string space and oblong bridge mounts for 2 7/32th holes.. For around $30-35..

I know Callaham has the same but they are super pricey at +$150..

What do you all recommend??

Pictures.. because threads stink without guitar pics!

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 21
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 22

Uncle Daddy

Friend of Leo's
Hey All,

So my crusade continues as Ive been scouring the interwebs for some Fenders for cheap.. My latest acquisition is a 2002 Highway One Strat in Transparent Cocoa w/ Rosewood board.. I like the guitar.. kinda.. plays like crap.. but I solved most of it with a full break down and setup.. but its in desparte need of fret leveling from 15-22 as the tongue lift prevents full step bends on 1-3 at 13-15. Also, the string spacing drives me nuts.. High e isnt off the board but its to far out for my liking. So I educated myself and found out that Fender likes to screw with string spacing over the years.. I get it, easier finger picking, blah, blah blah.. But its not for me.. I firmly on team 2 1/16th.. I also do not want to drill holes as I like to keep my equipment as stock as possible..

Ok so my bridge options, "that I know of" are Highway one bridge from 2006 and on which use 2 7/32th mounting screws with 2 1/16th string spacing.. eBay has them for $70ish.. This seems like a no brainier as it retains a non moded look, but..

Wilkinson has the 5+1 vintage bent saddle with 2 1/16th string space and oblong bridge mounts for 2 7/32th holes.. For around $30-35..

giogolf

Tele-Meister

May you live a 100 years and a day!.. You just saved me money and I can actually pick this up in person as its local!

USian Pie

Tele-Holic
I was really, really reluctant to spend the money on a Callaham bridge. Some of the improvement claims smell like the sort of the vintage corksniffery snake oil that I detest.

I did it anyway as a bit of a splurge on a particular project guitar.

It ended up being worth it. The guitar has incredible attack and punch. It's very lively. I liked it so much it was a no-brainer for the next project guitar.

It's just my opinion but, if you take the extra cost of a Callaham bridge and spread it out over the expected life of a really good guitar, it's worth it. For me, it can turn a "good" guitar into a "great" guitar.

The only "watch outs":

For both of the guitars that I gave Callaham bridges, the mounting screws went all the way through and poked out into the trem cavity. They didn't interfere with the springs but they cracked the surrounding finish and look pretty sloppy in the cavity. These were on Warmoth bodies, so it's not like they were cheap, out-of-spec bodies.

Choose your arm length carefully. Callaham has a minimum order requirement so it's not like you can just order a new arm all by itself.

Last edited:

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Hey All,

Depends on the neck width. With the narrower spacing the E strings don't wan't to fall of the fretboard as much. But definitely the 6 mounting screw type instead of the 2 mounting screws. I know the 2 screw one is an upgrade and supposedly an improvement on the 6 screw, but IMHO it just feels stiffer and without as much nuance as the older 6 screw version even with the same number of springs. YMMV

eallen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Install short piece of rubber tubing under all the screw locations on the 6 point to compress and a won't find an more stable feeling trem.

I have installed many brands of trems including Callaham stainless and higher priced. I dont find any significant difference in quality ones with it hard to beat a Gotoh for quality at any price. The challenge in 2-7/32 is the limited manufacturers who offer them.