Which Bootstraps?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Chimey1, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

I know this thread has been done over and over again but...:) I'm getting anxious to get my two Tele's up and running with good pickups and any more input would be helpful.

I have a Pretzel set on the way (I hope...its been 3 weeks...) And, I'm gonna order another set...(I know I should wait until I try the Pretzels...and I may...but, it'll be another 3 week wait....so, if I don't., which set should I get if I want a bright clear neck and a clear but not harsh or ice pick bridge?

Palo Duro, Extra Crispy? I'd just do Palo Duro but I don't want a too warm or muddy neck. And I'm not sure how the Palo Duro bridge compares to the Extra Crispy bridge?

(I may shoot Bootstrap a text but I know they're busy...)

Thanks!

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. hepular

hepular Tele-Afflicted

not directly relevant, BUT . . . really, really pleased with the skookum p-90s i stuck in my prs.

so, maybe experiment with the neck slot? A big cat in there with a palo duro in the bridge? if you have the room, a p-90 or hb? the cool part is that they're inexpensive enough to encourage experimentation.

3. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

I REALLY like the Bootstrap Palo Duros in my Squier Tele. The neck pickup is clear and has warmth without the “blanket over the amp” tonality. The bridge has cut without ice-pick-iness. I put CS Nocasters in my MIM Tele, and, as good as they are, I prefer the Palo Duros.

Ryan, Bootstrap’s owner (@Bootstrap on this forum), is an excellent man to deal with. Trustworthy. Highly recommended!

I asked for a separated pickup cover ground and RW/RP to use a 4-way wiring plan. Works great and I like the added flexibility.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

First off....I was on Bootstrap's website this morning, and they said their current lead time is about 3 weeks, so yours "should" come any day. ;)
    As to Telecaster pickups, I have owned and gigged with both Pretzels and Palo Duros. (haven't tried any other models yet) I found that my favorite "set" is a Pretzel bridge, paired with a Palo Duro neck. Each standard set was good, but I tried this combination and just knocked my socks off. Since I can't speak to the Extra Crispy, I'll withhold an opinion on them, (I suspect they're excellent) but after you try the Pretzels, consider trying the Palo Duros, and then mix and match and find what "floats your boat".......For their extremely reasonable prices, you simply can't go wrong. ;)
    ADDED....I have to echo @Ronzo above as to Ryan.....I've dealt with him several times, on phone and online, and have found him to be VERY focused on customer service and quality. He's one of the "good guys". IMHO

5. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

The three responses above speak the truth. Superior products and amazing customer service. So glad to see the love here for Ryan and his pickups. A 54 Sparkle strat set is next in line for me. My poor old Tokai strat (copy of a 54) has been sitting in it's case for the past 5 years waiting for me to feel good enough to wire in a set of pickups. Really looking forward to having this ol' beauty up and running again.

In the past 40 years I've had 15-20 various sets of pickups in this guitar......from Fender to Lollar to several set's by Bill Lawrence to Carvin to Chubtone to Duncan to Dimarzio to.....well, you get the idea.

I've found the best pickups for this particular strat are very low vintage wind with A2-A3 mags.

The best I've used (so far) in this were and early prototype set of BL Keystones and the simply wonderful Tonerider Pure Vintage set. I bought a set of Bootstrap strat's when Ryan first started. Alas, the day I was to install them, a buddy stopped by who was in search of new pickups for his 80's Kramer strat. Well, I wound up popping them in his Kramer (replacing an early 80's EMG set) and he LOVES them.

Glad to do that for him as we have been making music together for the past 52 years and we always seem to have what the other needs guitar/amp wise.

Anyway, I really hope to feel well enough very soon to order the pickups and install them. $49.99 for a full set of excellent quality, American made strat pickups.

I know the Bootstrap company is very busy these days, (YES!!!) but I do wish Ryan would start offering loaded/wired pickguards. Wiring up a pickguard used to be so freaking easy for me. Now, my freaking hands shake so bad I can't do it!! I hate that! Guess it's time to clean out the parts bin and pass em on to someone who can use them.

Sorry to go all rabbit trail here. It's great to have Rob D, Ryan and others here who offer great products, nice pricing and excellent service. I'll just close with BOOTSTRAP PICKUPS ROCK!

zippofan, Blister, emisilly and 4 others like this.
  6. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

Yes, we all talk about Bootstrap here- and for good reason! I say WAIT and listen to your Pretzel. This is an A5 wound HOT to 10K I believe. You should have no ice pick and it will have a lot of mid range from what I have heard on Youtube. I think it will not be clear, clear and might be a little harsh. I see this is typical of hot A5's.

Maybe an A3 will give you clear and not harsh like you said you might prefer.

I nailed my clear and not harsh Bootstrap A3. It a custom pup- A3 magnets with 43 AGW wound to 9.5K.

I now have one A3 and one A5 I like. My A5 is the Seymour Duncan Broadcaster. I really think the Bootstrap Pretzel is gonna be very close to the Broadcaster A5. I love A5's and want to love A3's! I love my custom A3! It is in my Tele and my Broadcaster pup is packaged up and put away. My hot wound A3 does not have ice pick. Very happy with this pup that cost me $40 to my door!

I cannot suggest anything for a neck pup. I have no experience but everyone here on TDPRI does!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    nojazzhere, El Tele Lobo and Chimey1 like this.
  7. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I have a pretzel neck. One of my least fav tele necks ever and different than any by a wide margin. I'd wait till you hear em b4 getting another set.

nojazzhere and Chimey1 like this.
  8. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

Thanks guys, yeah I'm gonna try to wait. Hopefully they ship this week and I get them next week.

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

I found this demo of the Pretzels. They sound good to me here.

emisilly likes this.
  10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

As I said.....I prefer the Bootstrap Palo Duro neck over the Pretzel neck. I wouldn't say the Pretzel is my LEAST favorite neck p/up.....but if the Palo Duro is superior, why not go with it? ;)

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  11. swampash

swampash TDPRI Member

Ryan makes a nice PAF as well. I bought a set of the Classic Buckers with nickel covers and A2 magnets. Sweet. Customer service is great!

zippofan and nojazzhere like this.
  12. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

What did you put those in?

I'm looking to put a pair of those in a Deluxe Tele and wondering about "F" spacing.

I messaged them about 3-4 weeks ago and haven't heard anything.

13. Bootstrap

Bootstrap Tele-Meister Vendor Member

sorry I missed your message, how can I help? Our bridge buckers are 52mm.

nojazzhere, emisilly and Steve Holt like this.
  14. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Just a question about "F" spacing. For use in a Fender guitar.

Does your 52mm bridge matchup with usage in a fender bridge situation?

15. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

Well...I couldn't help myself. My Pretzels are scheduled to ship this weekend, but, I just ordered an Extra Crispy set for my other Tele. :)

Ryan got back to me about the Palo Duro vs Extra Crispy compared to Pretzels. He said "The Palo Duros would be brighter and lower output while the extra crispy set would be a bit darker with similar output than the pretzels".

I debated about waiting to hear the Pretzels first, but really, who am I kidding, lol, even if I really like them (which, I think and hope I will), I'll want to try a different set in my other Tele anyway.

And, the overwound Extra Crispy A3 bridge intrigues me. I will wonder about the A5 Palo Duro neck but I'm hoping this Pretzel A5 set and Extra Crispy A3 set keep me happily and contentedly playing these two Tele's for awhile.:)

nojazzhere and El Tele Lobo like this.
  16. lousy13

lousy13 Tele-Meister

Just ordered a set of Palo Duro's for one of my Tele's. The above statement "The Palo Duros would be brighter and lower output" sounds like just what I'm looking for.

17. Bootstrap

Oh real quick, just to clarify, I meant the Palo Duro bridge will be brighter and the extra crispy bridge will be darker than the Pretzel bridge. The Pretzel neck is very bright, both the Palo Duro and Extra Crispy will be darker in the neck position. Apologies if I miscommunicated, please let me know if you’d like to change your order, we’re always happy to combine sets (ie, Extra Crispy Neck, Palo Duro bridge) at no extra charge.

18. Bootstrap

oh gotcha! Yeah those should work just fine with a F-style bridge!

SPUDCASTER and nojazzhere like this.
  19. RedRhino

RedRhino TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Last pair of Palo Duro's I put in a build absolutely rocked!!!

20. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

Ok, I texted Ryan about my order. I dont expect to hear back on the weekend but I'd consider changing my Extra Crispy set to an Extra Crispy A3 bridge/Palo Duro A5 neck if the Palo Duro neck is brighter than the Extra Crispy neck - and, if they'll pair well together output wise (and tone). I like a bright neck.

But, if they're pretty close and the Extra Crispy neck/bridge balance together better output wise, I'll stick with the EC set. (And, I'll still wonder about that Palo Duro neck. Lol)

And....I hope I'm not over thinking all of this. :)

Cleantone and nojazzhere like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.