Which Blues Junior to buy?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by CQLove, Jan 5, 2018.

1. CQLove

CQLove Tele-Meister

2. dustoff

dustoff Tele-Holic

I'd go for the tweed.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

Looks wise: Tweed; Speaker wise: Western.

jsnwhite619, irie and BelairPlayer like this.
  4. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'd buy the standard Blues Jr. and use the money saved to buy a good replacement speaker. The reissue Jensen speakers are awful sounding.

nocastermike, irie, PCollen and 6 others like this.
  5. midnight340

midnight340 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Tweed-looks
    Western-speaker
    This!
    But then what?
    I'd have to go tweed for looks!! (The speaker could always be changed if you weren't happy!)

6. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

drlucky likes this.
  7. markeyd123

markeyd123 Tele-Meister

If you like the looks of the country then get that one because of the speaker, but you may or may not have a tougher (or easier - who knows) time reselling it if you ever do that. For me, I'd never get the country because I don't like the looks, but if you like it then it is pretty unique looking - which is a plus to me. Otherwise I'd get the black one or tweed with a Weber speaker . . . if you check one out you might like the stock tweed speaker, but I didn't love it. If you are going to change the speaker though I am not sure if the tweed is worth the extra money. Look for one used. There are a bunch that pop up on craigslist around here. Then you can put whatever speaker you want in it.

8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

tery likes this.
  9. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

I sense a pattern coming: looks, the tweed; speaker, the western; buy the standard and replace the speaker with the money saved.

You're going to hear that more than once.

irie, dr_tom, tery and 2 others like this.
  10. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

Honestly, once my black BJ III speaker was broken in, it sounded pretty good with the standard speaker. I liked the looks of the Tweed one when I bought mine last year, but the speaker didn't sound as good stock, so I bought the standard and saved $70.

irie, dr_tom, tery and 1 other person like this.
  11. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

yeah, buy a used one & drop whatever speaker you want in it. my experience is that the Weber ceramic blue dog / silver bell sound really sweet in these. blue dog brings out the voxy side of its personality, silver bell just growls and barks and stuff.

12. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Buy an older one...put a WGS ET 65 speaker and JJs and an old 7025 in V1 and you will have a great amp...

13. Fatstring

Fatstring TDPRI Member

I would buy this one:
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/...unior-Humboldt-Hot-Rod-15W-Combo-Amplifier.gc

But, to be honest I did, back during Black Friday sales. If you wait for Presidents' Day or the next excuse-for-a-sale holiday you could probably get 15% off. Or just call and catch the right person online who will "talk to their manager".

Guitar Center gets a lot of hate on forums, but for me I support brick and mortar when I can drive 10 min from my house to play 6-7 different tele's through 3 different blues juniors. The amp has been sweet so far, I like the styling and the cost was a wash compared to installing my own aftermarket speaker plus the benefit of avoiding the hassles and not voiding the warranty. Check out Humboldt Hotrod on YouTube, if the old ProGuitarShop marketing doesn't get you, Andy martin's demo playing will. :)

14. Clarkj734

Clarkj734 Tele-Meister

Of those two.... I would go with the Western.

Keep in mind that I believe the Western is also a birch ply cabinet - which I would prefer over the stock MDF that the regular one uses. I'm not sure about the cab on the tweed.

So, you are getting the C-Rex and a birch ply cabinet.

15. Cazualwhiteguy

Cazualwhiteguy Tele-Meister

I like the looks of tweed but that particular model doesn't come with the cannabis Rex like mine did a few years back. The western model apparently does use the cannabis Rex but I'm not quite as hot on the appearance. I don't know much about that particular Jensen speaker but I enjoy my cannabis Rex.

16. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Roland Blues Cube Hot! Same size - Just as loud - Sounds great - ZERO maintenance.

Lef T, tery and Henry Mars like this.
  17. Fatstring

Fatstring TDPRI Member

Maybe this changed in the past but Fender site lists the standard BJr as a Birch/Maple plywood in the specs:
    https://shop.fender.com/en-US/guita...or-iii/2230500000.html#q=Blues+junior&start=1

18. Allen Peterson

Allen Peterson Tele-Meister

I think I would get tired of the Western model. Tweed never goes out of style.

19. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

If I was buying a new one I would go for the tweed. I have a C Rex in my Jr and it sounds great for what I do . It is not the right fit for every player's situation though. The chief difference between these amps is cosmetics and speakers. You might want to go to a store that has a few varieties in stock and try them out. One thing about the Rex is that you have really got to drive it hard to break it in.

20. tominwa

tominwa Tele-Meister

The stock speaker in mine is great. If you read enough of these threads you will be convinced you have to change the knobs for better speed control. And don't forget to switch out the little metal casters on the bottom, I'm sure there is an aftermarket upgrade to increase "floor resistance".

They are great little amps and do what they do.

Southpaw Tele and Mike SS like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.