Which Blackstar and why?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by VerySlowHand, Feb 13, 2016.

1. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Was looking at a plain and simple Fender Champion, but I'm now torn between three Blackstar amps: ID:30 (12" speaker) / ID:15 (cheap) / HT-5R (12", plus chewbs... used to own one and I liked it).

Home use (no neighbors) - classic rock and blues... mostly clean, warm, but also with some Stones-like crunch, playing a Plus Top Stratocaster.

Been reading that a lot of HT owners are trading for the ID series. I'm leaning that way too - I like the dials on the front of the amp - but I still can't help thinking tubes always trump SS.

What would you choose and why? (Please don't throw anything else into the mix - like Mustangs - it's one of these only.)

2. 4seven3

4seven3 TDPRI Member

I had a HT5R and a ID CORE 40. Even though they're kinda two different animals, I liked the sounds from the CORE40 better....not as "buzzy". I like the ID because you can switch between different tube types and save patches, ect. My main issue is the software crap from Blackstar.....on Google+ and Blackstar forums people will try to do firmware updates and brick their amps making them inop. I've never used the software much myself, just plugged in and played so YMMV. I agree with the dials being easier to use on the front of the amps....the knob location on the HT5 is kind of a pain, not to mention getting access to the plugs in the back. If I had to do it over Id get the head/cab setup.

3. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Thanks Buddy. I think I'll get the ID:15 and add a 12" cabinet some time later. Then I'll be asking 'what speaker' questions.

4. kyussvegas

kyussvegas Tele-Holic

The HT lineup is great if your goal is high gain at low volumes.

I've only messed around with a Core ID, interesting amp, definitely more versatile than the HT series.

5. Guitarbozo

Guitarbozo TDPRI Member

6. Guitarbozo

Guitarbozo TDPRI Member

Monumental weakness in the ht combos is the celestion rocket 50 speaker, there isn't an adjective which describes how epically garbage it is. Buy a ht20 combo, fit a tung sol 12ax7 in v1 , throw the rocket 50 in the trash immediately and fit a greenback speaker and then that amp shows what it can do.

7. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I recently picked up an ID:Core 10 for home use (wife and child sleeping upstairs), and for a living room amp it's perfect. I also have a Mustang I, which now sits in the corner because although it's much, much more flexible than the Blackstar, it involves hooking up a laptop and lots of screwing around to dial in tones. The Blackstar is much more limited with a simple WYSIWYG control surface, and that means I can dial in a good "ballpark" tone quickly and just play. The 10 is remarkably full sounding for such small speakers, I imagine the bigger ones sound even better. You won't be dialing in end-all, be-all guitar sounds of the apocalypse with it, but it'll give you a wide range of good, basic tones very quickly with a minimum of fuss.

I tried the HT5 in a store once and found it unremarkable, YMMV.

8. blackjaw

blackjaw Tele-Meister

I travel a lot and use a Blackstar Fly 3...I keep looking at the idCore 10 or beam which is about 5lbs heavier (3 vs 8lbs)

Very impressed with their modeling software and sounds from such small sources

9. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Thanks for the alternative suggestions... but that ^ goes for other Blackstar's too. For the avoidance of doubt and confusion... just asking about ID:30 / ID:15 / HT-5R (no Core's, no HT-20's, no etc etc).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.