Which Bill Lawrence/Wilde Pickups?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Hoodster, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

So this is for a Duo Sonic project. My other two Fenders, Strat and Tele, have excellent traditional single coils. I want the Duo to be my lightweight playing out guitar, so the pickups have to be very versatile, quiet if not noiseless, and respond well to drive pedals.

My only experience with Lawrence was more than 20 years ago when I didn’t really know what I was doing with pickups. I put the 280/290 combination in my first Telecaster and remember liking them, especially the 280, but for whatever reason I don’t remember much about the bridge or middle positions. I definitely want more beef out of the bridge position in the Duo and was originally considering a DiMarzio rail, possibly even something as strong as the Chopper. For reference, I have the Jerry Donahue in my Tele bridge and the SSL5 in my Strat bridge.

Since the Wilde choices are even more difficult now, I’m looking for folks who have experience with the 280/290, the original microcoils, the alnico microcoils, and possibly even the L45s.

I’m also hoping Ron Kirn will weigh in here, since I saw an older post on TGP in which he said if he could play just one guitar for the rest of his life, it would be a Tele with microcoils, but he didn’t say which version of the microcoils. Hoping he can shed more light on that and possibly the comparison with other Wilde offerings.

2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

I would. .. install the Micro Coils and live happily ever after... the adjustable pole pieces, plus the remarkable voice of the pickups would make for a very fine sounding guitar.

r

DeepDangler, hopdybob and Dan German like this.
  3. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Thanks, Ron! Do you have the original neo microcoils or the newer alnico ones?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  4. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  5. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

I use the Ceramic. they were the originals and really a significant part of the original concept.. However the Alnicos don't suck either.. :p

Ron

Hoodster likes this.
  6. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's

+2 on Bills Microcoils! Install them more than any other pickup. I usually use the Alnico's more soley for the look of the chrome neck cover but both perform equally.

The L48 blades are excellent as well for a noise free option.

The real stuff is only available at wildepickups.com.

7. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

i have had the microcoil tele set with adjustable pole pieces. and still miss the neckpup.
    had balance problems with the bridgepup that seem to be missing output.
    send them up to a good friend of mine so he could test them and he said they were great, no balance problem.
    went to the hearing doctor and he told me i lost some high freq so that was the reason i thought the bridgepup was less louder than the neck pup because that what was there in sound, i could not hear 100%

the L45 has a soft attack, and i did not like that, and prefer the l280 over the l200.
    but would some L500 not be something to look at?

@Hoodster
    you have the fortune to live in the US and cheap shipping and no taxes etc, and Bill&Becky products are the choice for versatile pickups.
    so go get some tiger ;-)

Hoodster likes this.
  8. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Holic

L280s are a traditional, fender type single coil sound. He has higher output variants of this series as well with more bite. The L45 has a soft attack and it’s own unique voice as well as a smooth clear sound. I haven’t used the micro coils but they were one of Bills last designs they went into production before he passed away. He liked the natural a factor a true single coil had and wanted to design a low noise true signal coil to his own specs with micro adjustment options to fine tune it.

9. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

10. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

[QUOTE="hopdybob, post: 10744885, member: 21091"
    you have the fortune to live in the US and cheap shipping and no taxes etc, and Bill&Becky products are the choice for versatile pickups.
    so go get some tiger ;-)[/QUOTE]

I routinely ship to Europe from Canada, not pickups but the electronics is about the same size and weight. The shipping is usually about USD$25 or less, with tracking. The reason you often pay so much is not because cheap options don't exist. It's because companies get sucked into "easy" shipping programs with the courier companies. Then the follies with exponentially growing charges begins... any time you get charged like that, it's because some company really doesn't care about customers outside the USA.

11. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Not to be that guy, but I did want to clear up the fact that the original microcoil comes with neodymium rather than ceramic magnets. I've got them now in my T-style in my avatar, and they are great.

Derek Kiernan and Hoodster like this.
  12. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You might be looking for strictly single coils, but if you are willing to consider HBs, I have a Wilde L500 and it is an excellent, excellent pickup. Extremely lively and responsive. Very bright, but tons of balls. Splits great.

https://www.wildepickups.com/products/l500

13. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

I routinely ship to Europe from Canada, not pickups but the electronics is about the same size and weight. The shipping is usually about USD$25 or less, with tracking. The reason you often pay so much is not because cheap options don't exist. It's because companies get sucked into "easy" shipping programs with the courier companies. Then the follies with exponentially growing charges begins... any time you get charged like that, it's because some company really doesn't care about customers outside the USA.[/QUOTE]
    from on 1 july 2021 there are new custom rules for the Netherlands were all packages outside the EU will have to pay taxes (21%) and custom clearances, that, for a little package, can be at least € 13 even is the value of the item € 1.
    on a dutch guitar forum site they always got the rule that you have to keep a total of 35% above the items price and shipment.
    so a set of pickups say: € 100 + shipment € 25= € 125 x 35% + = € 168,75
    i am lucky i don't need no pickups anymore ;-)

14. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Thanks for all the responses. I'm leaning toward the original microcoils but I seem to remember reading somewhere else that they are taller than regular single coils. Can anyone confirm that? For this project I am using a Bullet Mustang body which has a very shallow cavity.

15. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Holic

Wildes are tall. I was putting some old 280s in a friend’s Mustang but they were too tall.

I’ve used Microcoils, L48/45s, and 290/280s. They are all great. For drop in and go I like the 290/280 set.

16. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Which of those 3 are the least tall? Thanks!

17. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

I spoke with Becky and she steered me toward the 280/290, possibly because I mentioned having them before but also she said other people have had success with that combination in Mustangs/Duos.

I was a little surprised that they aren’t pushing the newer designs more but also glad that the original noiseless are standing the test of time, so that’s what I went ahead and ordered. I’m planning on doing standard three-way wiring with 250 K pots and a .022 cap. Anyone have any input on that aspect of things?

18. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Holic

I like .01 uf caps. Great sound rolled all the way down.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.