Which (Bill Lawrence) Pickups for my Stratocaster?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by WilburBufferson, Oct 19, 2019.

1. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

Hey there -- I have one of the big headstock HWY1 Fender Strats. I'm looking to swap in some new pickups. I've heard good things here about the BL offerings. I could go in one of two directions: noiseless or non-noiseless. I'm not looking for hot/modern sound or "true to vintage" tones. For the latter, I guess that means a bridge pickup with more oomph?

I want to rewire the pickguard to have a master volume, master tone, and a switch so that I can turn the Neck pickup on to get Tele sounds. I don't mind sacrificing position 2 or 4 to get the B+N combo.

Has anyone seen Mark Lettieri's Grosh strat? I love how that sounds (he has a humbucker in the bridge) -- I would go that route but it's very expensive. I'm looking for something under 200 (max), all in.

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

"I'm not looking for hot/modern sound or "true to vintage" tones. For the latter, I guess that means a bridge pickup with more oomph?"

Well, some BL are a bargain. The ones I tried were clean and clear and not hot. Ended up not being my thing though. "Vintage" sounds would be lowish output and I think not hot bridge.
    If you don't want hot and don't want vintage... maybe explain what you don't like about the ones you have? That might help.
    Fender Vintage Noiseless are pretty good pickups, but there aren't a ton of them around.

3. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

They sound a bit muffled, round around the edges -- not as clear as other sets I've tried. I didn't like the 57/62 Fender set. Liked very much the recent Fat 50s. But haven't tried too many other things. I am also considering the Hot Noiseless Fender set, and possibly the Gen 4 Fender Noiseless.

4. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

If you heard good things you must be talking about Wildepickups, right?

The noisefree strat pickups are excellent. I like the L280 which is probably what you are looking for. L200 is more vintage, L290 and L298 are hotter. I use the L280, L290 and L298 and love them. The typical set goes like this: L280/L280/L290(bridge), or whatever you like.

I like the Keystones for tele too.

I have to try some of their other pickups.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  5. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

it would be a good thing if you could pinpoint what sound you are after.
    the neodium microcoil set with adjustable polepieces is very versatile, and almost noiseless (its a single coil, no noiseless)
    the 280 is my favorite in the noiseless, i have had a tele microcoil set and the neckpup (with adjustable polepieces) was great, full and warm.
    But, Bill looked at the whole chain, and pickups at itself don't have in in build attitude. (although the 280, 200, l45 etc, have there own character)
    some will call it sterile, but they are dynamic if you have the playing skills to let that ring ;-)

6. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

My buddy, Tom Long, got his ‘62 Sunburst Strat in 1970. The original pickups were long gone, so he got the Lawrence blades. Being 6’7” tall with big hands, he likes heavy gauge strings. With the string and Lawrence combination, it just sounds like SRV all the time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.