1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Which Beatles Collection?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by WilburBufferson, Nov 19, 2016.

1. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

So I'm revisiting the Beatles and am looking for a good complete original album set, if there is such a thing. The first album I ever listened to was the "Beatlemania" one with the black and white photo. Not looking for a greatest hits or single compilation album. Would really like tracks that sound as raw/original as possible. I'm guessing there have been many re-releases over the years. Where to start? I live in Canada if that makes a difference in terms of distribution?

2. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

The mono collection. The Beatles in mono. You can hear John Lennon swear in hey Jude clearly.

JustStartingOut and Mr Scallywag like this.
  3. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I've got this one (plus the Capital recordings set). They are all on Apple Music and/or Amazon Music if you don't want the 'stuff' and are set up for streaming
    [​IMG]

4. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

I'm partial to the stereo mixes. So, I bought the 2009 remasters when they were released.

[​IMG]

5. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

"Live at the BBC" provides a unique look at the Beatles as they started to become famous.

IMG_7432.JPG

There is a unrefined quality in their performances that is intriguing.

Definitely worth a listen...

Marcelo R and dlew919 like this.
  6. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Afflicted

The newly pressed "black" box (Stereo) or the "White" box (Mono) are the pick.

On vinyl of course.

Otherwise the "bread box" CD's of the eighties would represent good value second hand.

These follow the original English pressing.

The North American releases in the "Stars and Stripes" box are from the same source as the most recent releases.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/video/the-beatles-stereo-vinyl-box-video/

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/beatles-in-mono-vinyl-set-unboxed/

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/feature/the-beatles-u-s-albums-box-qa/

Cp.

7. tbb007

tbb007 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

You might need to employ some "unsound" methods to find them... but the stereo remixes that were done for the Beatles Rock Band game are out there, and they sound absolutely amazing. Not remasters, as in the 2009 set, but new stereo mixes from the original tapes. IIRC, there were 45 tracks in the original game, covering their whole career, and they subsequently filled out that assortment by releasing the rest of the tracks from Rubber Soul, Sgt Peppers, and Abbey Road, so those three albums are complete.

8. sosay

sosay Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]
    I had this years ago,not sure where it got to,The Beatles Anthology,I'll never forget hearing Free as a bird for the first time,there was a sweet smell in the room,not sure what it was,it wasn't burning toast that's for sure because i went to get some and there was none left.
    bbc sessions is also what your looking for.

Steve Holt likes this.
  9. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the replies. Some basic questions: what are the pros and cons of mono, stereo, remastered? I think I would like to hear the UK Versions, because I think I've only heard the North American releases.

10. tbb007

tbb007 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

For most of their career, the Beatles recorded in mono, leaving George Martin and the EMI engineers to create the stereo versions, with varying results. Starting with 1968's The Beatles ("White Album"), followed by Abbey Road and Let It Be, the band themselves created their music with stereo in mind, so it's arguable that the mono versions of the earlier albums are more "pure" Beatles.

The remastered CD sets from 2009, both mono and stereo, are just cleaner and clearer than the versions released previously: the mixes aren't different, but you're closer to the source material, sometimes feeling as though you're right there in the studio.

The UK versions became the "standard" ones when CD became the default format, and that's what in the 2009 remastered boxes. I've never compared the US CD's with my old LP's, but I have compared them with the UK CD's, and apart from the occasional different mix here and there, I don't think they offer enough to make it worth buying both versions, and the UK versions are the ones the band themselves approved.

11. JustStartingOut

JustStartingOut Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Down in the park with a friend called Five
    Yup. I got the mono collection when it was released back in '09, it's the way the songs were recorded so they way they should sound. A few family members and friends didn't understand why I got mono when stereo was available, I just couldn't make them understand the whole 'it's the way it's supposed to be' thing. Anyway, I'm voting that you get it too :D

dlew919 likes this.
  12. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

I would agree that having them in mono and stereo is best. I am old enough to have bought them as they were released and most of us had mono players and they were cheaper records early on. Once stereo player became affordable, the transition to stereo happened and the sales increased. Early stuff in mono is how I heard the Beatles. Later with good systems I heard them evolve and I think they heard themselves differently as well.

13. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

That's the nice thing about the Beatles, radio over the decades has overplayed them so very much I find no need to own any

dlew919 likes this.
  14. gtech

gtech Friend of Leo's

Yep, I had all their vinyls in mono, the American versions, and later bought some UK CDs. Their first stereo LPs sounded funny with headphones because of the way they separated the voices and guitars. It was all left or all right.
    These days, I just use the digital versions...

dlew919 likes this.
  15. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Both the stereo and mono vinyl records are available individually so you can pick and choose. Get everything in mono from Please Please Me to Magical Mystery Tour in mono and the rest in stereo.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.