Which bass amp? If cost not a concern

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Hey_you, May 3, 2020.

1. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Not an amp (sorry). I just came here to say the Tech21 Leeds pedal (HiWatt tones) is superb for bass guitar tones into DaW or anything. It’s brilliant.

2. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

I have the yba300 and matching 8x10 cabinet. After a thousand different bass amp combos this one does it all.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Just a reminder from the original post:

4. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

been playing bass for years & years..1 Rig for what we do, since day 1..Ampeg SVT & fridge

at home am absolutely blown away by this in recording..Ampeg pf50t & SVT210..how sweet this is for studio sessions,,man i miss just being bass player pf50t (2).jpg svt (2).jpg

fidopunk likes this.
  5. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

Oops, I did read that but after reading the many posts in this thread it slipped my mind. My favourite easy to carry second choice is the fairly inexpensive Hartke lh800, just a killer fat tone out of a well built head. I think I paid $200 CAD for it used

BigDaddyLH likes this.
  6. dlb1001

dlb1001 Tele-Meister

Mesa WD800 with either Subway 15 or 210 cabs.

7. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

I'm a tube bass amp guy, myself. I like big heavy things with KT88s in them and I like to play through a 2x15 cabinet. For smaller gigs and at home, I have an Ampeg V4b and a 1x15. I'm old fashioned in that department, though. I do like the Mesa Boogie Subway stuff I've heard, though. I'm not a snob about class D amps, I get the appeal for gigging- especially in a smaller room.

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Is there something about bass notes, big speakers and small rooms? Like you have to get farther away from the speaker to hear the note clearly?

9. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

Well, no matter what kind of amp you use, low notes have long wavelength. That's an acoustic property.

10. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Meister

I've come across Boom Bass Cabinets in my searches. BBC. Has anyone heard of these? I am not finding much info "out there".

11. mortron

mortron TDPRI Member

Bass Player here...

Lots of good suggestions... Lots out there to choose from. Lot of brands mentioned are very good. GK, Ampeg, Markbass, Traynor... All reputed brands with good products.

What's your style? You more into a vintage sound or you want higher fidelity for slapping and such? Tweeters on bass cabs is a thing now. Some let you roll it off with an attenuator. Some find it a deal breaker. May help qualify some cabinets by assessing exactly your needs.

I like your desire for more headroom. Those Infinity RS are nice speakers too. Legendary even.

I have a few bass rigs I've owned over the years. A Peavey TNT115 with the death cord, a Yorkville 2x10/1x15 stack combo with 200w solid state, a Markbass Little Mark 2 with a Bergantino NV610 cabinet. Finally I've been toying with a 90watt tube head into my 15" cabinet and MAN that can get loud and dirty.

Most instrument speakers are nearing 100db @ 1 watt. Power is power, but also realize that DOUBLING the power will only gain 3db of volume increase. It may sound louder than 3db, but that's science.

I find cheaper speakers struggle because the amp being driven to its limits sounds like crap from speakers that bottom out. So while the previous comment discounted power increase as minimal, it can help to clean up the sound depending on your situation.

My 2x10/1x15 combo had a tweeter... This was a huge thing for slapping and plucking, but didn't find it as useful during lots of sessions. I moved to the NV610... A vintage cabinet in the same vain as the Ampeg SVT... Similar output, but smaller. Still heavy as all hell. This was before Neos were all the rage.

Through a 610, I have no problem keeping up with a 4x12 Marshall and a drummer with a Bonham Complex. I've gigged this setup with no issues. If you're just playing at home, anything is capable of hitting high volumes, just that more drivers is less stress on em. While you may not gig, if you want loud, you gotta move air... That's cone area. More drivers.

If you go big, go Neo. There are a few outfits who specialize in lightweight bass cabinets and are well recieved by bass players, tho I would direct you to one of the Bass Forums for that info, as mine is dated. Neo drivers are a game changer if you gotta move something. I'm even leaning towards detuned guitar cabs for various reasons, weight being one.

Solid State vs Tube... Whoever said Bass players don't like tubes is like saying Tele Players don't like humbuckers... Sometimes a tube amp ain't enough. Bass takes big power and we don't necessarily want a ton of breakup. That said, some of the best music was played through an SVT head and a fridge.

Geddy Lee uses a Sansamp for the dirt and drive and solid state amps... Another good combo if big power and tubes is in your future and you like your back and wallet. It's not the same, but it works for the pros.

The Traynor 300w tube head was on my radar before I chose the Markbass head. It's a beast. Great tone. Gobs of volume. I regretted the purchase until I added a tube preamp in front of it. Now I love that I can carry almost all my gear except my cabinet in one trip. Dunno if my back would appreciate a 100lb head. It's bad enough asking the guitar player to show me that riff again or carry my bass cab when my backs acting up.

Can't say I don't wish I had bought that Traynor head tho.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    elihu and Kevin Wolfe like this.
  12. oceanblue

oceanblue Guest

Agree with the Rumbles 100%, I have a R100 and love it.

ZenGuitarist likes this.
  13. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

If cost is not a concern, then I'd want to try a blonde Bassman. It has four triodes in the bass channel and only two in the normal channel. Although more likely a repro without a cab would be fitting here.

I had a blackface Bassman at one time, I used it with a ported 15" cab and it sounded very good if it wasn't a very loud drummer.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  14. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Meister

I have been searching suggestions here. Doesn't seem to be many of these Blond around. That caused me to ponder if the modern boutique amps of that era should be considered. Should boutique builds have the merit of the vintage amps?

15. mortron

mortron TDPRI Member

I think when it comes to bass, there are several schools of thinking, and many who stick to what works best.

There are those who want vintage tones and those who want modern tones and everything in between and some beyond what we know... at the end of the day I think once you've determined the sound or limitations to your setup you are willing to deal with, the list will get narrower.

Modern stuff is all over the place... the beauty is you can usually get vintage tones from the newer cabs, but not vice versa. Nowadays there are so many tone shaping devices, you can just let your amp be an amp, and play with preamps and pedals out front. It makes the setup versatile too that you can play in a metal band and a church band and just swap out a pedal or pre in your rig. Also you can get modern stuff with vintage styling to combine things if you so choose.

If vintage type amps are more your bag then don't rule out new reissues of classic designs... Ampeg B15 Fliptop was James Jamerson's amp of choice, as well as others... they make a re-issue. While not 100% original or vintage, it gets you a new amp with that vintage vibe. Fender makes a 410 Bassmaster combo that the guitar guys like, and it was designed for bass. While I am a fan of vintage gear, the reality is that it's gettin on in life. I would feel a lot better beating up a B15 reissue than an orginal B15 from the 60's. Electrolytic caps fade, wear and tear on drivers takes its toll when compounded with time. If you can find a solid vintage piece that has been maintained, then by all means.

I gotta say, I am a bit envious of anyone in the market for an amp... and a nice combo amp is seeming like a better idea everyday lol

Hey_you likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.