1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Which attenuators do 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissues work well with ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bad Penny, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Bad Penny

Bad Penny TDPRI Member

I understand they can be a bit picky with attenuators.

2. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I don’t know the answer to your question but an attenuator is one option where there are many options to lower the sound of a fully cranked amp. A Fryette Power Station is another. It’s a reactive load as is a Two Notes Captor X as is a Rivera Silent Sister isolation cab. I’ve been through attenuators and I like these other options better. I still have a Weber though.

3. johmica

johmica Tele-Holic

I installed a Brake Lite on mine. Before I mounted it to the inside of the cab, I played my tele both through the Brake Lite and with the amp fed directly into the speaker. To my ears, the Brake Lite affected the tone only at the lower registers (on setting 4, for example).

I've got it installed now, set on 2, and my DRRI is my #1 practice amp. I play it daily, and the only difference I can hear between the attenuated signal and the direct signal is the volume. To my ears, there is no difference in the tone whatsoever.

I'm probably not as picky as some (in other words, my ears are likely not as refined as other, more experienced players), but I tried to hear a difference in sonic quality between having the amp hardwired and playing through the Brake Lite. I could not tell any difference at all in the 0-3 range.

Ed Storer likes this.
  4. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

I think that the Tone King Ironman 2 is a great one.

Tim S likes this.
  5. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Rivera Rock Crusher.

6. hotcoffeenochill

hotcoffeenochill TDPRI Member

I use a Weber Mini Mass w/ my old DR. I like that it’s got a knob for attenuation instead of just switch, works great for live stuff when they ask you to just take it down a touch and for home when you need to really bring it down.

Pcs264 likes this.
  7. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Dr Z Brake-Lite and Air Brake are great. As @johmica noted above, its only at the lowest setting where the sound of the amp is altered slightly - I have experienced the same thing, but on a Mesa California Tweed (40w.) I haven't personally tried it with a DRRI myself, but I think it would work great.

I currently use a Captor X on my California Tweed and it does just fine. I switched so I could track the amp silently when I need to. I had no issues with the Dr Z attenuators.

8. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

SPL Reducer
    Power Station

9. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Same here.

works well also have a TDH Hotplate also works well.

try to find used as I did keep the price down.

hotcoffeenochill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.