1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Which amp to build next

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Achysklic, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Afflicted

After finishing up my 5e3 I have decided I want to do another build. Which amp should I build next? I was thinking either a 65 deluxe or another tweed variant.

2. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

You can get a 65 deluxe anywhere. That is not so for most of the tweeds. Maybe a tweed Pro, super, or bandmaster. Or you could go the other way and build a Champ or a Princeton. I want to build a bandmaster but it is hard to justify when I have a silver face Super Reverb I can’t currently use.

3. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn’t might doing a nice tweed build but I want to buy a parts kit so I don’t have to hunt down every little part. What all kits are available in tweeds?

4. J. Bonkosky

All the ones I said are at Mojotone. But I enjoy hunting up all the parts. You should try that some time too.

5. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Holic

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
  6. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

After my 5e3, I built a 5f1 Champ. Now I'm building a Blackvibe 6v6, which is basically a Blackface Deluxe without the reverb/vibrato channel. It's addictive.

7. J. Bonkosky

Yes it is a sickness.

8. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Tweed Bandmaster for sure!

9. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

Same boat. Thinking about a Robrob micro or a Princeton.

10. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

Do you have a Supro?

11. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Afflicted

I really like the looks of the tweed super or the vibroverb

12. NTC

NTC Tele-Meister

Either go different (not Fender) or early like a Pro with octal preamp tubes.

13. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

Do you want to go bigger or smaller? The 5 watt 5F2A Tweed Princeton is a great sounding amp if you want smaller. If you want to go up is size then the 30 watt Tweed Super or Bandmaster is the logical next step. The 40 watt 5F6A Bassman is considered one of the best amps ever built, but they are loud.

I would also consider the 20 watt 5G9 Tremolux. It has fixed bias and a long tail pair phase inverter so it is a litter tighter and cleaner then the other tweeds, and the bias vary tremolo is awesome.

14. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

I have planned to build 50% Bassman. Hammond 1760JB OPT is 6K/ 2.67, 4, 8 ohm and rated for 35W but weights only 1050g which about half of H1750 (4k/2 ohm, 1975g) which is used in full size Bassman.

When 2 ohms is connecter to 2,67 ohm output the input impedance comes 4,5k.

I have planned to use 6L6WGA tubes which I found Sylvania NOS and when they are 19W they should get quite nice load.

For loudspeakers I will use two Jensen P10R which come also 4 ohms and sound should be pure Tweed...

If I build cabinet so that loudspeakers are aligned diaconally it should come only 20" x 20" and depth only about 8 inches if I build chassis so that V2 and V3 pre amp tubes are placed both side of the top loudspeaker magnet.

deus56 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.