Which amp? I need SS, reverb, cheap used, reliable, for practice

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DugT, May 22, 2018.

1. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

I need an amp to keep at my vacation house. It doesn't have to be small but it should work with high gain and low master volume. I don't need it to work with a Bass, just a regular 6 string.

I want one that will probably not have problems if I buy it used and it looks to be in good shape and sounds good. Based on comments in other threads it sounds like a Peavey Transtube might work. Or, how about a 15W Roland Cube?

My current amp is a Boss Katana 100. It is way better and more versatile than I will ever need.

I suspect this topic has been beaten to death but I hope you don't mind helping out a rookie.

Thanks,
    Doug

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Peavey Bandit.
    Roland Cube.
    You could get a 50W Katana.
    I see all three of them on CL for $100-ish.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    jannodude, Jimmy Owen, HesNot and 5 others like this.
  3. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

Thanks!

It seems used Katana's are hard to find around here and on Reverb. They have gotten a lot of good reviews so the new price has gone up and people are snapping up used ones fast.

There are a couple of Roland Cubes here that are only $40-$50. They look like my best bet. There is an older Bandit 112 for $150 but it would be too long of a drive. There is one on Ebay that would be $140 delivered.

Jimmy Owen and brookdalebill like this.
  4. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

brookdale pretty much nailed it. A used Peavey or Cube of the ilk described will meet your needs quite well.

If I knew someone heading our way from the Seattle area, you could give my near mint j80's Peavey Audition an audition. I think it would be perfect for your needs and stooped cheap to boot.

5. wanderin kind

wanderin kind Tele-Meister

the Roland will be more fun but maybe not as solid as a tried and true Peavey Pacer, Envoy or Bandit.

DugT likes this.
  6. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Cheap + Used + Reverb + Reliable = Bandit! :D

jaybones, bgmacaw and DugT like this.
  7. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, Peavey SS amps are an obvious choice. They're known for their reliability, and while opinions vary about the Lead channel, anyone who says Peavey doesn't do good cleans is listening with his eyes. There are quite a few models from the 1980s on, but the major three are the Bandit, the Studio Pro and the Envoy.

The best known is the Bandit, which is 80 watts (except for the Bandits 65 and 75 of the mid to late 1980s, which were 65 & 7 5 watts, respectively). They also had Studio Pros, the older ones in the '80s ranged from 20 to 50 watts, w/ a 1x10" speaker. In the early 1990s, Peavey produced a Studio Pro 110; still 10" speaker, but bumped up to 65 watts. From the mid 1990s up to 2007 when the discontinued the Studio Pro model, they were 65 watts with a 12" speaker. Then there's the Envoy 110. From 1989 to like 1994, the Envoy was a 35 watt amp. After that, 40 watts.

The Bandit 112 and the Envoy 110 are still in production. Priced at $400 and $300, respectively. But given their reliability, they can be good buys used. Often, scoring a 25 year old Bandit will require little in the way of servicing.

Another amp to consider is the Vox Pathfinder 15R. SS, 15 watts, 8" speaker, Gain and Volume knobs, with on-board tremolo (Speed and Depth) and real spring reverb (although it's mounted in the chasis, so it's a small tank and kinda weak). The amp is surprisingly warm, and yet gives you that Vox chime and crunch. It has a footswitch jack, a headphone out, an extension speaker out and a line out on the rear panel, making it a very versatile amp, suitable for home practicing to jams/gigs in a small room/quieter setting, to larger gigs sending the signal to the PA. They were discontinued in 2013, so they can be hard to find, but are well worth it if you stumble onto one. They were $119 new when they were still in production. Now they can fetch $100 give or take used. But again, worth it if you find one in perfect working order.

8. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

Hard to beat a Peavey Bandit for those requirements ... look for a used one. I have Peavey stuff that is 45 years old and still running well.

PhredE likes this.
  9. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

Another vote for a - Roland GX Cube !

rogb likes this.
  10. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Peavey Studio pro....mustang ii or iii

Vespa_One likes this.
  11. blackjaw

blackjaw Tele-Meister

Pathfinder 15R or Orange Crush 20RT/35RT

12. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I’d say a Vox PF15-R, but very hard to find. Why not a brand new Champion 20 for $100? A friend has played a Champion 40 for several years on stages. It’s a good sounding amp. You might find a used one for $100 also, though they almost never show up around here. IMG_8124.JPG

13. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

There's a whole lotta love for Transtube Peaveys around here lately, and I've waded right into the middle of most of it. But it's interesting you should mention the Champion series, I was going to look into trying one out, back when I was looking for a backup amp to my Hot Rod Deluxe. I found my first used Envoy before I even made it to the music store--but I've always wanted to take my guitar in and play through a Champion just to see what they're like. I've never gotten to hear one. They're sure priced lower than the new Bandits and Envoys.

14. LGOberean

Several years ago now I went into the local GC to try out some smaller amps. (At that time, I had two Peavey Bandits, a Studio Pro and two Envoy 110s.) They had a whole row of Fender amps: a Frontman 25R, which I had test driven before; a Mustang I, a Champion 20 and a Super Champ (the X2 iteration, I think, but I don't recall for sure).

Truthfully, the SC impressed me the least. The Frontman was okay, but not inspiring. The Mustang had quite a few good sounds in it, but I found the controls counter-intuitive. Of those I test drove that day, the Champion was the winner. I didn't buy it, but I liked it. It sounded good, was versatile and simple to use.

15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Bandit but it's big and loud, really loud. If you want something more sane for the cabin in the woods then a Peavey Rage might work, as shown below. I have a Crate 65W that is good like the Bandit but still pretty loud. Lately I'm using a Line6 Spider 4 15w (that no one likes on the Internet, previously me too, so they are super cheap) but after digging out the 'secret controls' to turn off the overly aggressive and sloppy noise reduction plus outlandish secret master gain and reprogram the presets for clean/blues/rock it actually works and I can get better sounds from it (speaker is better) than the Mustang I.v2 that I have. I frankly have been using the LIne6 the most lately because I can grab a guitar, plug in, turn it on, tune, and hit the preset and go -- I might only have a fifteen minute window to crank the noise so no time to dial in or search for a tone.

DugT, BB and FenderGyrl like this.
  16. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

Used 40w Roland GX Cube the one with the 10 inches! Great little amp.

tery likes this.
  17. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Aren't you able to attenuate the Boss Katana 100 down to a lower output for home use? If it has more stuff than you need, you don't have to use those effects.
    I'm not seeing the need to get another amp unless you just want another amp.

18. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

I agree with Zephaniah.

Do you plan to sell the katana? How much money do you expect? A bandit 112 is too powerfull and though it is cheap, the difference between the selling price of the Katana and the price of the used Bandit should not be huge. If you are selling the katana because it is « too good », don’t, you’ll regret it.

19. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

The answer is in the OPs first line.

20. LGOberean

rogb beat me to it. I took Doug's two statements quoted above to indicate he's wanting to add an amp, one to be kept at his vacation house, so that the Katana 100 could stay at home.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.