Which Amp Don't You "Get"?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by patriotplayer90, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Any tube amp under 15 watts with a speaker smaller than 12 inches.

2. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

I put a 12AT7 in mine and the lower output preamp tube gave me more clean headroom.

BobWithOneO and Timbresmith1 like this.
  3. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

Mesa Dual/Triple Rectifier. Gravel down a metal slide. Ick.
    Also the 2x12 Silvertone amp that Jack White used. It’s just too shiddy.

4. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, the Carr just sounded wrong for me. There was nothing about it that took me anywhere I wanted to go. I literally turned it off after a few minutes.

Matchless/BadCat I can work with.

Phrygian77 and beninma like this.
  5. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

A list... any Huges & Ketter I tried, VOX amps, Orange terror amps, High gain, Mesa Booguies and...

Deluxe Reverb... I really cannot understand the hype. I played many but no. I have a Twin Reverb/Bassman, must be said. The Deluxe Reverb souds sterile, weak, closed and has no mids pot to play with

6. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Afflicted

Hmmm…I’m not picky. Name a brand and they probably make, or have made, an amp I can rock with. I own Peavey and Mesa tube amps, a Quilter SS head and really enjoyed my Mustang III modeler.

Ooh! Just thought of one: Orange. The specs say I’d like them, but so far, no-go. Their lunchbox heads don’t do anything for me, and the Rocker 32 I demoed sounded bland compared to the EL84 amps I already own. The AD30HTC sounded good, no doubt, but no effects loop and time-based effects didn’t sound good at all once the amp got cooking.

Other than that, aside from a preference for Princetons over Deluxes, I guess I’m pretty easy to please.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  7. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

Vox AC15/30s, no low end headroom. As a guy who was brought up on Marshall JMPs, when I hit that low E, I want to hear a tight, well-defined chunk, not a flabby, soft thing.

A great deal of the music I like best was recorded with them, but whenever I've played one, the immediate reaction is where's the beef. <g>

I also had a very early Mesa Boogie MkI, and I could get a good lead tone out of it, but never a solid rhythm sound. Discovered this while struggling to get tones on a record. Switched to a JMP and a Music Man twin and there it was.

A while ago, I had a chance to buy a Matchless Clubman, w/4x10 cab, for a ridiculously low price. Tried it at a gig, and I switched back to my '67 BF Bassman after the first set - just didn't fit right with what I was looking for.

Jakedog and Cyberi4n like this.
  8. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Tele-Holic

Orange and Blackstar. I didn’t get the appeal for Orange amps, they even look awful and as though they’ve been designed by a child. Tonally they leave me cold.

blackstar. I had a Series one 50 head which I thought looked cool, and later on a HT5RH. Liked the style of both. The Series One was a pig - kept breaking down on me. Sounded, well, meh really (but better than Orange granted) and the HT5 was just terrible.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  9. patriotplayer90

patriotplayer90 TDPRI Member

The Triple Rec was the dream amp when I was young. I was so disappointed when I heard and played one.

mkdaws32 and Fiesta Red like this.
  10. patriotplayer90

patriotplayer90 TDPRI Member

I bought an AC15 and felt the same. They sound great when other people play them, but any budget generic tube amp better suited me

11. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I was about to “like” your post, but then I remembered my MarkV:25 Combo can be switched to 10w and has a 10” Creamback. That amp continues to amaze me (as does my Trademark 10, but only when that one is plugged into a bigger cab)

Jakedog likes this.
  12. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

Yamaha THR series amps, sound tinny, metalic and tiny. Yamaha makes great, electric and acoustic guitars, fantastic pianos, but I have never heard an amp of theirs that I liked.

13. miguelalmeida

miguelalmeida Tele-Meister

I don’t have the knowledge or available amps at my fingertips for an honest decision on this one but don’t we all agree that a friend playing your rig sounds (a lot of times) better than you do?
    I think there’s the “hearing our own voice” effect in play here, we don’t often like it.
    Maybe?

14. clingin_on

clingin_on Tele-Meister

I had an Express 5:50 which sounded fantastic, however it started smoking on my first jam with a mate, and I don't mean it pulled out a joint.

You've got me thinking about a 5:25 now..

15. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Friend of Leo's

I almost never like the sound of a Marshall. I played one in a shop (I think it was a Blues breaker) that was nice but otherwise can't stand them.

I'm aware some of my favorite songs were recorded through a Marshall but figure a sound engineer is needed to make them sound good. Whenever I see a small band in a bar or hear someone trying one out in the shop it's like nails on a chalkboard for me.

Tony474 likes this.
  16. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

Vibrolux Reverb....The only money pit I ever owned. I fell for all of the hype about this amp. I could never get a decent, pleasing clean sound out of that amp. I went thru countless tube changes and speaker changes as well. I finally came across a pair of vintage Altecs and put them in. It sounded not too bad, but not real close to what I needed. But, the deal-breaker was those Altecs made that amp almost as heavy as my Twin Reverb amps, which totally defeated the reason for buying it. I was looking for an "old man's amp" for future use, for when someday I would or might struggle to lift or carry my Twin Reverb amps or big Peaveys. It just didn't happen. I grew up on big Fender amps in the 60's and 70's...Fender Showman and Dual Showman and eventually "down-sized" to an early SF Twin Reverb in the 80's. So, yeah, I've always preferred big, clean sounds, straight in to the amp...no distortion whatsoever.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  17. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

The most popular amp that I don't "get" is the Deluxe Reverb. Now, I don't particularly care for how any of the black or silver panel Fenders sound when overdriven. But the DR somehow just misses everything I want to hear. Other players make it sound great, but when I play them it sounds terrible.

Jakedog likes this.
  18. Teleskopic

Teleskopic TDPRI Member

I'm not a fan of anything which doesn't have a master volume - I'm playing at home not performing, so neighbour-friendly volume control is key

LPTyler and patriotplayer90 like this.
  19. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

Marshall... all of 'em.

I've owned a few over the years. I WANT to love Marshall, but I always end up frustrated and disappointed with the lack of versatility. They all seem to be one-trick-ponies. I do concur they do their one trick very well, but unless I'm in an AC/DC tribute band I have no use for one.

Tony474 likes this.
  20. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

I own a DRRI that I purchased used last winter. I replaced the speaker with an Eminence Swamp Thang, put JJ's 6V6 tubes and various other preferred tubes in the pre-amp section, and it works well for me as my only "little" practice amp that I use only at home and specifically for an occasional small radio station gig I do. I run an EQ between the guitar and amp to give it the extra "bump" I feel it needs to come really close to the sound of my Twins.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.