Which Amp Don't You "Get"?

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
Mesa Dual/Triple Rectifier. Gravel down a metal slide. Ick.
Also the 2x12 Silvertone amp that Jack White used. It’s just too shiddy.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
Carr, Matchless, and other expensive and relatively unimpressive P2P amps that look like they were assembled by a 5 year old with a hot glue gun.
Yeah, the Carr just sounded wrong for me. There was nothing about it that took me anywhere I wanted to go. I literally turned it off after a few minutes.

Matchless/BadCat I can work with.

supersoldier71

Tele-Afflicted
Hmmm…I’m not picky. Name a brand and they probably make, or have made, an amp I can rock with. I own Peavey and Mesa tube amps, a Quilter SS head and really enjoyed my Mustang III modeler.

Ooh! Just thought of one: Orange. The specs say I’d like them, but so far, no-go. Their lunchbox heads don’t do anything for me, and the Rocker 32 I demoed sounded bland compared to the EL84 amps I already own. The AD30HTC sounded good, no doubt, but no effects loop and time-based effects didn’t sound good at all once the amp got cooking.

Other than that, aside from a preference for Princetons over Deluxes, I guess I’m pretty easy to please.

loudboy

Tele-Holic
Vox AC15/30s, no low end headroom. As a guy who was brought up on Marshall JMPs, when I hit that low E, I want to hear a tight, well-defined chunk, not a flabby, soft thing.

A great deal of the music I like best was recorded with them, but whenever I've played one, the immediate reaction is where's the beef. <g>

I also had a very early Mesa Boogie MkI, and I could get a good lead tone out of it, but never a solid rhythm sound. Discovered this while struggling to get tones on a record. Switched to a JMP and a Music Man twin and there it was.

A while ago, I had a chance to buy a Matchless Clubman, w/4x10 cab, for a ridiculously low price. Tried it at a gig, and I switched back to my '67 BF Bassman after the first set - just didn't fit right with what I was looking for.

Cyberi4n

Tele-Holic
Orange and Blackstar. I didn’t get the appeal for Orange amps, they even look awful and as though they’ve been designed by a child. Tonally they leave me cold.

blackstar. I had a Series one 50 head which I thought looked cool, and later on a HT5RH. Liked the style of both. The Series One was a pig - kept breaking down on me. Sounded, well, meh really (but better than Orange granted) and the HT5 was just terrible.

patriotplayer90

TDPRI Member
Mesa Dual/Triple Rectifiers. I just don't get it. I love modern high gain tones, but I just can't get a good tone out of one. The Mesa Mark series amps are brilliant, though, as are most high gain Marshalls (including the solid state ones).
The Triple Rec was the dream amp when I was young. I was so disappointed when I heard and played one.

patriotplayer90

TDPRI Member
Vox AC15/30s, no low end headroom. As a guy who was brought up on Marshall JMPs, when I hit that low E, I want to hear a tight, well-defined chunk, not a flabby, soft thing.

A great deal of the music I like best was recorded with them, but whenever I've played one, the immediate reaction is where's the beef. <g>

I also had a very early Mesa Boogie MkI, and I could get a good lead tone out of it, but never a solid rhythm sound. Discovered this while struggling to get tones on a record. Switched to a JMP and a Music Man twin and there it was.

A while ago, I had a chance to buy a Matchless Clubman, w/4x10 cab, for a ridiculously low price. Tried it at a gig, and I switched back to my '67 BF Bassman after the first set - just didn't fit right with what I was looking for.
I bought an AC15 and felt the same. They sound great when other people play them, but any budget generic tube amp better suited me

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Any tube amp under 15 watts with a speaker smaller than 12 inches.
I was about to “like” your post, but then I remembered my MarkV:25 Combo can be switched to 10w and has a 10” Creamback. That amp continues to amaze me (as does my Trademark 10, but only when that one is plugged into a bigger cab)

Maguchi

Tele-Afflicted
Is there any amp with widespread appeal that you find to sound awful?

I'll go with Fender. Amazing clean amps. Their noteworthy overdriven amps are just muddy flub machines.
Yamaha THR series amps, sound tinny, metalic and tiny. Yamaha makes great, electric and acoustic guitars, fantastic pianos, but I have never heard an amp of theirs that I liked.

clingin_on

Tele-Meister
I think what happens is that we find an amp we like. It takes a while until we figure out how to get the most from it and after that, nothing else is quite right. I use a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25. I understand how it works and I like that the only pedals I need are an equalizer and a delay. Crunch is part of the amp as is blues distortion when it gets loud. I prefer delay to the on board reverb but that’s personal preference. I’ve never been comfortable with Vox. I can’t make sense of the controls. I don’t like amps that lack a mid control. I use my mid control. I don’t like amps that don’t sound good at a low volume. I live on the 5 watt setting on my Boogie.

I had an Express 5:50 which sounded fantastic, however it started smoking on my first jam with a mate, and I don't mean it pulled out a joint.

You've got me thinking about a 5:25 now..

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
Is there any amp with widespread appeal that you find to sound awful?

I'll go with Fender. Amazing clean amps. Their noteworthy overdriven amps are just muddy flub machines.
I almost never like the sound of a Marshall. I played one in a shop (I think it was a Blues breaker) that was nice but otherwise can't stand them.

I'm aware some of my favorite songs were recorded through a Marshall but figure a sound engineer is needed to make them sound good. Whenever I see a small band in a bar or hear someone trying one out in the shop it's like nails on a chalkboard for me.

Telecastoff1

Tele-Afflicted
Vibrolux Reverb....The only money pit I ever owned. I fell for all of the hype about this amp. I could never get a decent, pleasing clean sound out of that amp. I went thru countless tube changes and speaker changes as well. I finally came across a pair of vintage Altecs and put them in. It sounded not too bad, but not real close to what I needed. But, the deal-breaker was those Altecs made that amp almost as heavy as my Twin Reverb amps, which totally defeated the reason for buying it. I was looking for an "old man's amp" for future use, for when someday I would or might struggle to lift or carry my Twin Reverb amps or big Peaveys. It just didn't happen. I grew up on big Fender amps in the 60's and 70's...Fender Showman and Dual Showman and eventually "down-sized" to an early SF Twin Reverb in the 80's. So, yeah, I've always preferred big, clean sounds, straight in to the amp...no distortion whatsoever.

Last edited:

horseman308

Tele-Holic
The most popular amp that I don't "get" is the Deluxe Reverb. Now, I don't particularly care for how any of the black or silver panel Fenders sound when overdriven. But the DR somehow just misses everything I want to hear. Other players make it sound great, but when I play them it sounds terrible.

burtonfan

Tele-Afflicted
Marshall... all of 'em.

I've owned a few over the years. I WANT to love Marshall, but I always end up frustrated and disappointed with the lack of versatility. They all seem to be one-trick-ponies. I do concur they do their one trick very well, but unless I'm in an AC/DC tribute band I have no use for one.

Telecastoff1

Tele-Afflicted
The most popular amp that I don't "get" is the Deluxe Reverb. Now, I don't particularly care for how any of the black or silver panel Fenders sound when overdriven. But the DR somehow just misses everything I want to hear. Other players make it sound great, but when I play them it sounds terrible.
I own a DRRI that I purchased used last winter. I replaced the speaker with an Eminence Swamp Thang, put JJ's 6V6 tubes and various other preferred tubes in the pre-amp section, and it works well for me as my only "little" practice amp that I use only at home and specifically for an occasional small radio station gig I do. I run an EQ between the guitar and amp to give it the extra "bump" I feel it needs to come really close to the sound of my Twins.