Which Amp Don't You "Get"?

Coxon2323

Tele-Meister
I must admit, I don't really get my Vox ac4tv.
I bought it because it advertised great tone and low volume, low volume because it has an attenuator for 1/4, 1, and 4 watts.
I could get a decent tone at low volumes but the volume has to be right down for it not to disturb neighbours
To get a better tone you have to get set it a bit louder but then it becomes far too loud for neighbours etc.
No headphone out as it's a tube amp.
The only time I cranked it was in my brother's work's garage.
Ohwell, maybe I can use it at a gig one day. :S

fjblair

Tele-Afflicted
Vintage amps. They're cool, but the old Marshalls and Fenders I've played/heard sounded pretty much like the newer ones.

ArdeliasTele

Tele-Meister
If I have to use my phone to run an amp, forget it!

For a lot of people, the ability to get access to a huge range of sounds via something like a Spark for $250 is a massive, massive benefit.

If nothing else, it provides great guidance on which "real" amps to go buy when money becomes available.

KW1977

Tele-Holic
Mesa Boogie Single, Dual, Triple Rectifiers. I guess you have to be predisposed to liking that one, really prosaic sound.

teletail

Friend of Leo's
Not that I think they are BAD amps, but I've never cared for Mesa Boogie amps. I've owned two, tried a bunch and they were both way more work than they were worth for me.

enorbet2

Tele-Meister
Trying to assess amps is largely an exercise in futility when considered alone since almost all of thme sound VERY different with different guitars/pickups and especially with different speakers. I can get a usable tone out of a JC120 but I really have to work for it. I cannot for the life of me get a decent sound from a Polytone. I actually revere "clean" but Polytone clean is stale and boring and the overdrive is just awful, all the wrong harmonics, for me anyway.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire

MyLittleEye

TDPRI Member
Orange amps - they're so ORANGE!

Is it just me or do they not look like they belong in the back of a search and rescue helicopter?
My boat's sunk and I'm bobbing in the oggin? Someone throw me an Orange Amp to cling to!

I can see how they might have certain appeal in the Netherlands...

Has a goth or death metal guitarist played through one ever?

MyLittleEye

TDPRI Member
If I have to use my phone to run an amp, forget it!

That's definitely a dealbreaker for me!

I perceive a marketing strategy that reeks of built in obsolescence - What happens to an amp once the manufacturer ceases supporting its software and after your phone/device's operating system moves on leaving it all behind? No doubt the amp will still function at some level but it will feel hobbled compared to the latest greatest new thing on the market. 50 years on from now I can't see "vintage" gear being anything like as usable or desirable as 50 year old gear is today.

MyLittleEye

TDPRI Member
Ridiculous criteria for a good amp? Many amps would not qualify.

Is Matt Pike ‘heavy’ enough?
https://equipboard.com/pros/matt-pike

Thanks for the link :-D
Yeah - I know, I'm being totally ridiculous for sure!

Most people here are judging amps they don't "get" on practical/audible grounds.

However for me and Orange amps it's aesthetic - I find them so distracting. They totally intrude on any setting they are placed in - even in Matt's equipboard avatar there it is going "Woo'eee!" in the background.

I guess for me it's the visual equivalent of 60 cycle hum and that's what I don't "get" about orange Orange amps; black ones are fine BTW, I have no problem with black Orange amps.

northernguitar

Friend of Leo's
Thanks for the link :-D
Yeah - I know, I'm being totally ridiculous for sure!

Most people here are judging amps they don't "get" on practical/audible grounds.

However for me and Orange amps it's aesthetic - I find them so distracting. They totally intrude on any setting they are placed in - even in Matt's equipboard avatar there it is going "Woo'eee!" in the background.

I guess for me it's the visual equivalent of 60 cycle hum and that's what I don't "get" about orange Orange amps; black ones are fine BTW, I have no problem with black Orange amps.
I have the Rocker 15 Terror head. Maybe a little ugly, I dunno. It's a perfect Rock and Roll amp and the Natural channel takes my 'Doom' pedal like a champ. :cool:

I do likely agree that the cabs are garish. Freakin' expensive for MIC. I looked at a new black one, but quickly realized I could buy a custom made cab locally for less.
Rocker-15-Terror-1-1030x1030.png