Which "65 Amps" amp would you recommend for me?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by joel_ostrom, Jul 16, 2013.

1. joel_ostrom

joel_ostrom Tele-Afflicted

I've been reading a lot about the 65 Amps selection and I really like the tones they deliver, but i'm wondering about how they'll match up with what i'm looking for. On top of great tone, the appealing factor for me is the Master Voltage, for dialing in great tone at lower wattages.

I'm looking for a Voxy, Dr Z type tone. Very chimey, AC30ish. I play lots of country and some rock. I like versatility, but it has to have good clean tone before anything else. I'm not looking for a "clean" amp, but something that has good clean tones and doesn't breakup really fast. Something that has a good middle ground between clean and overdriven. (Brad Paisley-esque tone)

I really like the videos and clips from the Soho.

Any 65 Amps owners who can recommend me a particular model?

Cheers!

2. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

The only 65 I can recommend is a Peavey Bandit 65. LOL.

3. Morphman

Morphman TDPRI Member

Dr Z type sound?

Doesn't Dr Z basically make copies of other amps with his own personal twists? . You can get a Dr Z that he claims sounds similar to a Plexi or a Twin or a bassman or a Hiwatt but does Dr Z have a signature sound?

BTW, I've owned a Dr Z Ghia. which I purchased direct from the Good Dr. way back when he was first starting out you can buy a Ghia for under $500.

4. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've heard and played most all the 65amps amps. I think you should look first at the Soho. http://www.65amps.com/soho.html Look at Dan Boul's and Peter Stroud's demos of the amp on youtube - a couple of them are on the linked page.

5. joel_ostrom

joel_ostrom Tele-Afflicted

I suppose that was a rather ambiguous statement. Let me expand on that. When I say "Dr. Z type sound", I'm referring very much to the sound of his Carmen Ghia/Stang Ray/Mazerati (Gen. 1)/Prescription ES models. Very AC30 influenced, but very robust midranges.

I also was very interested in getting a Ghia, but the fact that there's no Master Volume or any sort of attenuation involved limits my ability to use it to its full potential. I love its tone, but the venues I play aren't accommodating enough for that kind of volume. Yet, at least...

I may (...probably) will end up owning one someday, but for now I like what the 65 Amps lineup has to offer.

I've seen the demo that Peter does of the Soho. Absolutely love the tones he gets from it. My research leads me to believe that the Soho would be a good choice, but I wanted to also hear it from folks who own them and may also use them for similar goals as myself.

Thanks for the tips!

6. backline

backline Tele-Afflicted

7. Nick_S

Nick_S TDPRI Member

I would look at...

a Soho in either High Power or Low Power.

a London with Master Voltage, they will do this as a custom option.

or a Little Elvis.

Nick

8. Morphman

Morphman TDPRI Member

I would be embarrassed to pay $2000 for an 12 watt amp named after Elvis Costello. Not because he referred to James Brown as an "ignorant ******," and Ray Charles a "blind, ignorant ******". but because his songs are just awful.
    Here is a guy who denounced performers who continued to perform after they hit their 40's....and now at 50-something he's making records with Burt Bacharach!! ( who is worlds better than Elvis Costello)

Rant over with.:D

9. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Hey, no guffaws coming from me ! The Peavey Bandit 65 is a very cool amp! :D

10. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

I have a Tupelo and it has a very American voice so it's not for you. That said the master voltage works incredibly well. I also have two different Mesas with multiple power selectors and the sound changes from the different wattage settings. The 65 Amp master voltage keeps the tone you dial in at any twist of the dial, from 20 watts to 3 or so on mine. Makes the tubes last longer also. I've never been more impressed with any purchase I've ever made. It's worth every penny I spent on it and everyone who hears it is impressed. Great company...Dan's the man.

11. MatthewDickin

MatthewDickin Tele-Afflicted

The London is a bit of a Vox/Marshall hybrid, and reputed to be outstanding.

If you wanted a chimey Dr Z, you could do worse than look at the M12.

12. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't own a 65 amp, I only wish I did, but I've heard gitold's Tupelo and it is the finest sounding amp of it's kind I've ever heard. But he's correct in that a Tupelo is an American voiced amp so my guess is that a London or Soho is what you're after Joel.

As pricey as they may be I can't think that anyone who owns wouldn't think that it was money well spent.

13. goldtopper

goldtopper Friend of Leo's

Just tell people it's Presley.

14. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Where did you saw that the Lil' Elvis was named after Elvis Costello?! :rolleyes:
    Wherever it was, it's false.

As for the OP question, the Soho is the closer to the AC30 in the 65 line up.
    They have a new Red Line version of it that is more affordable than the blue line.
    I have a Red Line London pro and it's a great amp too.

15. highwayman

highwayman Former Member

His songs are awful? I would respectfully disagree and so would a million other fans.In his earlier years with the attractions was some of the best stuff from the 80s.Well written lyrics and great pop rock played to perfection.Im a big fan but to each their own.....AND I would own an amp named after him in a heartbeat........

16. wbm68

wbm68 Tele-Meister

You are describing Carr amps :)
    Specifically the Artemus:
    http://www.carramps.com/products/artemus

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.