1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Which 6" Jointer to buy

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by newuser1, Apr 16, 2021.

1. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Holic

2. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Meister

They all spec similarly. The only thing I’d toss out as a factor is Porter Cable has a pretty extensive service network, both factory service centers and authorized service centers should you have an issue.

3. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

No experience with any of them, but helical cutters are a real nice feature.

I see the King Canada one has that feature.

The cutters of that type that I'm familiar with are tungsten-carbide and have 4 cutting edges.

I checked out a 6" Rikon that had the helical cutters at Wood Craft.

If one of the cutters hits a nail or something and craters itself, all you need to do is loosen it up and rotate it a 1/4 turn and then tighten it back up and you're ready to roll again.

I've got an old Craftsman 4" with the regular steel cutting blades - they get nicked up and ya have to sharpen them - it's not a big deal, but I'd prefer the carbide inserts myself :)

Mjea80 likes this.
  4. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

The King and the Porter Cable are the same machine . I have the king , loved it but upgraded to the 8" .

5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

The big consideration is the availability of parts down the road and quality of the machine. Jointers are pretty simple devices. You may need to replace a switch and buy new knives, that's about it. Make sure the machine is as much solid metal as you can get. Manufacturers of these light duty tools are not opposed to giving you crappy machines as it's about the money not your work results. You don't want the fence and tables to flex when you press and push the wood through them.

This is one of those buy your last machines first purchases, just like a bandsaw, and drill press.

I would pass on those 3 and look for a used Jet, Delta, or Grizzly or something more substantial. Save your money for a real machine. These are all kind of based on the Delta/Rockwell jointer of decades ago.

6" Jointers | WOOD Magazine

RIDGID 6 Amp Corded 6-1/8 in. Jointer/Planer-JP0610 - The Home Depot

Jet 6'' Deluxe Jointer w/Quick-Set Knives, Model JJ-6CSDX | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

6" x 48" Jointer with Cabinet Stand at Grizzly.com

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    telepraise and newuser1 like this.
  6. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

I use a 2" router bit in my router table. It simply becomes a jointer laying on it's side. I also made a jig for my table saw on which I installed a high quality blade... this also works as a jointer. I see no need to buy another floor-space gobbling machine.

Of course, if you don't own a planer and intend double use out of the jointer, then a new machine would make sense. If I didn't already own a planer I would consider a jointer/planer.

old wrench and newuser1 like this.
  7. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Holic

This would work for joining sides only. I want to be able to flatten wide boards for guitar bodies.

8. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Holic

I don't think the Porter Cable has helical cutters.

LeftFinger likes this.
  9. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

You are right It just looks similar. There are 4 King,Craftex,Magnum and Cutech are all the same

10. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

You can also make a jointer sled for use with a planer, for wide faces.

I've been looking at 8" benchtop jointers recently. The Cutec seems to get good results. They have a 6" also. Thne 8" has an extendable table... Like rods, that come out to extend the table. Anyway, I see @LeftFinger already mentioned the Cutech.

old wrench likes this.
  11. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

12. Mjea80

Mjea80 Tele-Meister

Didnt click the links but if they are the same price point Id def be getting the one with helical cutters.

I have a 16” Scorpion jointer / planer and you almost dont even need to sand after the helical knives have hit the wood. Virtually no tear out at all.

old wrench likes this.
  13. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Afflicted

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I just bought a Dewalt 13" Planer. I can upgrade to helical cutters later?

OD2

14. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Which 6" jointer? The 8" helical. Seriously.

bullfrogblues and Mjea80 like this.
  15. moosie

Yes, you can get a Byrd/Shelix head for it. Costs around $450. I installed one in my DeWalt last year. Quieter (thank god!), and a much nicer cut. And it'll stay sharp more or less forever.

You have the choice of getting one that's slightly smaller than OEM, or original diameter. The original diameter allows you to still use the height gauge, but you need to remove like a million (OK, what is it, 40?) little cutter heads before installing it through the hole in the body. The smaller one isn't much smaller, just enough to (barely) slide through the hole with the cutters intact. That's the way most people go, including me. I've gotten used to ignoring the height gauge, but I do still miss it. Also, there's less clearance between too high to cut and too low to admit the workpiece. Not a big deal.

But... and I think this would be true with either type: the install was a royal pain. I NEVER want to do that again.

OldDude2 likes this.
  16. moosie

Since you're in the market, I'll share. A couple years ago I got a Grizzly 8" helical with the parallelogram beds (easier to adjust, for the few times you need to). It is the most perfect machine I've ever used. It cost under $2k, delivered. Came fully assembled (even the 76" long beds), AND was within .002" of dead nuts alignment across all measures. I was all set to dial it in, but there was nothing it needed.

I would absolutely get this machine again. Every time I use it (which is all day long), it makes me smile.

And for those who suggest the alternatives (router, sled, etc)... I've tried 'em all. It's simply not even close to the results from a properly dialed in jointer, with a helical head to boot. I have my depth set very light, around 1/64". After as few as a single pass, the board is so flat that there's a vacuum between it and the table, making it difficult to lift off. Zero tearout, even with highly figured wood. And even with daily use for two years, flattening lots of white oak, hard maple, etc, there is no sign the cutters need rotated.

17. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Workarounds are fine, but there isn't anything like having the actually machine designed to do the task at hand. You can play golf with a putter, but a set of clubs makes the game more enjoyable, and sometimes that isn't enough...LOL.

18. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

If you can find an old Powermatic on CL, etc., these are bomb-proof and parts are still available for them.

A router table can work as a jointer, but the outfeed fence has to match the plane of the cutter or it won't be accurate for shorter pieces of wood.

19. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The biggest problem I have is space. Between dust collector, table saw/router table, drill press, work bench, tool storage wall... And a rolling cart that holds my planer, lathe and grinder, there's just enough space for me to put most things together. I still end up working outside a lot of the time when I want to use the miter saw or sometimes even my ROSS. Nice to have the weather and space for working outside. I can do it most days of the year... But, I wouldn't want to have to move a jointer that big anywhere regularly.

Although I am a professional and make my living off of woodworking (and in non-covid times, music), I haven't been able to make the jump to a bigger warehouse type shop (I only recently made the total commitment to avoid remodeling jobs), so I still work out of a two car garage. It's amazing how quickly space fills up when you're buying big stationary tools. I get the feeling the OP has a similar space restriction. So, sadly, a benchtop model is all that is in my immediate future.

moosie, OldDude2 and old wrench like this.
  20. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

I'm with guitarbuilder and Pego on this one. Shop used locally and get a decent 6" full size jointer for the same you'd spend on the little ones. Those benchtoppers sport universal motors and are viciously loud (at least the one I had was) and the tables are really short. A cast iron jointer is forever.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.