1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

which 2 pedals to not isolate?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by golfnut, Nov 18, 2020.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I'm building a small board with 5 pedals A kingsley needing 9v 500MA, a Cali76 CD needing 18V 100MA and 3 analog boss waza pedals, BD-2w, CE-2w, DM-2w.
    I am now deciding on the best power supply to buy. I've landed on the Cioks 4A. It needs to fit under a small pedaltrain nano.
    Its no problem to run the Kingsley and Cali76. The DC5 will not run the Kingsley and the DC7 is too over kill even though it would work
    With the Cioks 4A I'd have to run 2 of the boss pedals on the same outlet using the split flex 1035 cable. They can both run off the one 9v outlet as long as the sum of draw is under 100MA. Which I'm pretty sure any 2 of those boss pedals would be under 100MA.
    The question is which 2 is it best to run together as which ever 2 I run together will not be isolated from each other.
    I'm thinking the best would be the delay and chorus.
    Right now I'm running the 3 boss pedals and the Cali with a single Boss psa 120s 9v 500MA and I don't hear any noise. So I imagine I'll have no issues but just wondering which 2 would be the best together.

2. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Just to be on the safe side I'd go with whichever pedals would be the easiest / cheapest to replace. Pedals not isolated from each other that fail can sometimes damage other pedals sharing the same circuit. Plus, if something would go wrong with the power supply circuit they share it would effect / possibly damage both pedals. I'd offer the best protection to the pedals that are most valuable to me.

3. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

It's usually not a problem to run two low-draw analog pedals on one outlet. But check the current draw in the pedals' manuals and try the combination before you hit the stage or studio to be sure they don't make a weird noise together or act funny. The only noise issues I've had from not isolating power was combining a digital pedal (Nano Pog) with an analog fuzz (Fuzz Factory). It made a little high pitched digital whine, and not the hideous, loud, high-pitched oscillation I wanted the Fuzz Factory to make.

4. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

The delay is the one pedal I would not split power to, delays tend to like a lot of clean power. I bought a One Spot Pro CS-6 for size reasons as well. it's 1.22" high and has switches for different voltages on several lines. It's $20 less the Cioks-4a at Sweetwater.

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I run this entire board off of one wall wort (stored next to the tuner when not used) for years now. What was the question? IMG_2987.JPG

6. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

I wouldn’t worry too much. I have a DC7 and have split a port between two high-draw digital pedals, a digital and an overdrive, etc. It’s all been fine.

7. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

Id run the BD2 and CE2 on the daisy chain if I had to split power anywhere on that board! Best of luck....sounds like an awesome selection on the board already!!!

highwayjones likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.