Where You Stash Your Pick....or Wish You Hadn't

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by strat54, Mar 4, 2018.

1. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

Before I ditched my picks for good, I keep them hidden away from every other guitarist who always turns up at practice wandering around borrowing one - claiming they'd lost theirs... EVERY single time we rehearse!!! :mad:

You know who YOU are! Ya lazy pick bludgers o_O

Oh, I've gone 'pick-free' for nearly 10 years now. :)

Random1643, strat54 and Zepfan like this.
  2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nice work & great detail this stuff appears to be made from some of "stone " it usually means a plaster sand mix kind of like sandy cast dogs but much smoother and obviously lighter than concrete, when I airbrushed 3-D models the casters used a product called Hydro-cal as the medium and it would mix up like plaster but would set in a very short time.

strat54 likes this.
  3. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

I use empty hair gum metal boxes. Just let them have another life in the guitar case....

[​IMG]

strat54 and 24 track like this.
  4. Iconocaster

Iconocaster TDPRI Member

Yes it seems like my wife said Cap'n crunch. She was the catering manager at the venue and Bob wandered into the kitchen and asked her for some cereal. She sat him down right there in the kitchen and he was really quite personable with the staff. This was the 1999 tour with Phil Lesh and Friends. She got to eat dinner with Phil and his wife. While she's met dozens of performers, she usually doesn't get to mingle that much, but this tour had their own food prep staff and her people were only there supporting them.

strat54 and 24 track like this.
  5. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

I keep a selection (*) in a few old plastic 35mm film canisters and stash them in guitar gig bags / cases.

* I haven't decided whether I like / play better with medium, heavy or extra-heavy gauge. I don't like too light or bendy, though....

24 track and strat54 like this.
  6. strat54

strat54 Tele-Meister

Yes, I still use the Hydro-Cal for sculpture and small wall art pieces from time to time. I just don't put them outside since rain does not treat them well over time:(. It sounds like you are into some of the things that my wife and I do. Here is a page I put together of some of the things we have done in the past. We are always wanting to be creative and I now find myself wanting to carve more guitars that actually depict a theme or have a story to tell:). If I could do EXACTLY what I wanted to everyday, ALL DAY it would be: 4 hours of drawing, painting and sculpting, 1 hour noodling on the guitar and then 4 more hours of creative work finishing the day with 2 or more hours of guitar HOPEFULLY, with other folks that play guitar and somebody should be able to play better than me in the group:);). Of course, this is just day dreaming so I guess I should be thankful for how my reality actually is at this time in my life and be surprised when one day is better than the next:). I hope I haven't rambled on too much here. This site just seems like a good place to do show and tell though:):):). I actually have a great dog face that would work well as a mascot for the Bad Dog Cafe. I would show it but I may want to first consider carving it into a "Bad Dog" guitar theme:). Anyhow, it is great to talk (type) to you. Portfolio 3 (1).jpg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    24 track likes this.
  7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I keep a few in the pick pocket of my jeans. I have little metal boxes that I stash them in as well as scattered randomly around the bedroom where I practice.

strat54 likes this.
  8. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

never ask a naked guitar player where he keeps his picks, jus sayin

strat54 likes this.
  9. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have several pick boxes, but they hold pick collections, which is mostly stuff I don't play and a few spares.

Two in my wallet, they've seen more guitar shops and band practices than all the others combined.

And a couple on top of my amps and cabs.

strat54 likes this.
  10. Churchjack

Churchjack Tele-Meister

I had a friend who, while holding it in his teeth, inhaled a pick accidentally. He had to be rushed to the emergency room. He lived, but, I'm a fingerpicker to this day....

I come from an acoustic background. 3 or 4 years ago, I just got fed up with picks on electrics. I put it down (it's still there, on the DVD shelf) and bareknuckle the blues in my quest for world domination.

strat54 and Random1643 like this.
  11. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

With the dust and the fluff in the darkest recesses of gloom under the sofa usually.

strat54 likes this.
  12. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

Back right-hand jeans pocket.

Or in my teeth.

Usually Jazz 3's for me, or a Dava control pick (nickel tip for shiny top end) - which I find too big after years of Jazz 3's...

Violin bows, on the other hand, are too 'spendy' to be left lying around the house.

strat54 likes this.
  13. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Clench tightly!!!

14. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Pants, bathroom counter, washing machine, guitar case... they're everywhere!

15. Pmagel2

Pmagel2 NEW MEMBER!

I keep some in my pocket, one stuck on each guitar, a few in each case, one or two on each amp and I’m usually chewing on one most of the time. One day I’m going to swallow a pick, not sure how I’ll handle that but in 28 years I’ve been lucky enough not to yet.

16. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

every string instrument has a pick stuck in the strings, and i keep extra in my pockets and the case for my pedalboard.

17. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

The drain trap of the washing machine? I know I have at least one in there now.

Zepfan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.