Where were you on Sept. 11, 2001?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by garytelecastor, Nov 13, 2018.

1. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

I was in Canary Wharf London (our low budget UK equivalent), people left to go home pretty much within the hour in case of a planned copy-cat attack.

But not before the trading floors switched to take on the rest of USAs days trades (Japan/Russia/Germany were closed) which in my opinion was the real target of 911, i.e. to crash the just-in-time system and bring down capitalism in a single day.

(UK markets saved that day - imo)

Eddie.

tery and P Thought like this.
  2. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Home - just got off work (Philly Fire Dept). I’d rather not go into it, but many many more had worse days. Never forget.

Shuster, Boomhauer and tery like this.
  3. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Great point.

I've always thought (forgive me) that beyond the immediate destruction, the terrorists achieved something else they wanted: the whole world has been running scared ever since. It's like the old golf joke about the two-gotcha handicap.

telemnemonics and tery like this.
  4. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

I was across from the 2 towers in 5WTC, 9th floor. I'm not really up for discussing the day though.

Shuster, raysachs, MisterZ and 2 others like this.
  5. EddieLocrian

I was working for the UK financial regulator at the time and was told the whole point of 911 was to destroy the Markets for 1 day, enough to start a domino effect collapse.

6. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

You were misinformed . The World Trade Centers were selected for more than 1 reason . What is needed to understand this is to return to the first attempt to harm them . Certainly , the anticipated effect on markets et al is a part . The reason that the buildings were approached as they were has to do with mass , velocity and leverage .
    An aircraft that weighs 500,000 lbs, , roughly , impacts a 1,000+ ft tall building at 500-600 MPH at or near the top was intended to topple both towers . The resulting damage from this is almost incalculable . Back to the first attempt . It took place in the basement . Why ? The concept was to sufficiently damage the base of a tower and cause it to topple , hopefully impacting the other tower at best , or impacting other surrounding buildings resulting in maximum damage . This is the real domino effect . With this end result , additional harm certainly would follow . Had those planes hit at or near the base of either tower , the end result would have been far worse than it was .
    It is very easy to see something in a very narrow scope based only on how it will affect you and your world . Either way you see this , it failed . Economies continued and the buildings did not topple .
    I was at multiple places on that day . When the first plane hit , I was at the counter of Brubaker Lumber and someone had a TV set on .

7. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

I was walking into my second period history class and the teacher had just turned on the TV to check the weather or something innocuous like that. He made sure we all took notes as things unfolded between 9 and 9:50. We saw the second plane hit, and I think we saw the first tower fall in that class.

8. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's

Yes, it was a sunny day. On 9/11/01 I was working about 15 miles outside NYC. I clearly recall driving to work and thinking that I'd never seen such a beautiful early Fall morning. There wasn't a cloud in the sky which was the most brilliant cerulean blue you can imagine.

Like most, this day will haunt me forever. 25 years earlier my first "grown up" full time job at age 21 had been on the 85th floor at 1 World Trade Center. I can remember every detail of the WTC, my office, co-workers, etc. I also remember the fire drills. Everything in the WTC was "jumbo" sized, except the emergency stairs. The lobby was 65 feet high. There were over 100 elevators in each tower that accommodated over 50 people each. But the stairwells were just normal stairs, the same size as in any commercial building. I wondered how everyone would fit in them if there ever was an emergency. I shudder every time I recall those images.

My future wife, a teacher, was at work at her school less than a quarter mile from the WTC. She developed breast cancer the year after the towers fell. Fortunately she survived and is in good health today. (We've since registered her with the WTC Health Program as a precaution.)

We were both lucky. So many were not.

RedRiverII likes this.
  9. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

In San Antonio at a conference. I was at a local hotel, turned on the TV just as they were announcing that the first plane had hit. I watched and saw the second one hit. Called my wife and told her. In the breakfast area everyone was watching the TV. When I got to the conference two booths had TV's in them and everyone was around those two booths watching. They shut down the conference that day and everyone had to make arrangements to get home. It was a very long and sad drive home to Houston.

10. EddieLocrian

I understand why the planes hit where they did and it could have been worse, but the overall purpose was? Dropping the A-bomb wasn't about destroying the two cities, it has a much deeper significance.

P Thought likes this.
  11. Martinp

Martinp Tele-Afflicted

I was at work on Long Island, maybe twenty miles away, my wife as well, she could see the smoke and watched the first tower fall from her office window. I could smell it in the air when I was leaving for the night, it lingered for a week or two. The day after we our internet T1s went dark, because Worldcomm's facility (remember worldcomm?) was under water, and it took a day until the battery backup died. It took 18 months for the circuits to come back online, and they wanted to bill us for the downtime. who says there's no drama in IT?

12. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

The overall purpose was , in part , 2 subjects forbidden on this site . It wasn't a singular objective . Financial chaos and toppling of buildings can be openly discussed here , but they don't cover it all . I am limiting my comment to the World Trade Center planes . The target of Flight 93 can only be guessed and the plane that struck the Pentagon had a clear target . Both of those arose from a common purpose that is based on another forbidden subject on this site .
    The Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs were dropped because the Japanese Emperor refused to accept the fact that the weapons existed and , because of that , refused to capitulate . I truly believe that neither bomb would have been used had the Japanese Emperor simply accepted surrender . Japan was defeated . The only question that remained was how many lives on both sides would be forfeit in order to gain a surrender .

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Clear memory of the radio reports coming in at work in an attic I was turning into studio space for a family in Somerville MA.

At first the reports were uncertain of why a plane hit the WTC, or even what sort of plane it was.
    My Mother had worked across the street from the Empire State Building in the '40s when a plane crashed into it, seemed like it could be an accident.
    When the second plane crash was reported the whole world changed, even though we didn't know why or who.

I was a NYC resident when the first attack on the WTC took place, the bomb in the parking garage below.
    After that attack there was serious racism in the city, anyone Greek, Italian, Middle Eastern etc was suspect, and I was even threatened despite being pretty much Aryan, because I had an unusual beard that was similar to what some Arab men had.

Terrorism truly works when a nations citizens suspect one another.
    Maybe not so much out in the country, but a highly mixed race city like NYC takes this stuff very hard. Maybe also the more insular New Yorkers missed out on much of the racism if taxi or limo driven from one doorman building to another, but everyone eventually either feared, or was feared by, their fellow Americans.
    Fear and hate are sometimes hard to tell apart when deep in the middle of such.

It was just mind numbing to see NYC skyscrapers fall.

Yet in other countries people live amongst their burning city ruins, and accept that as day to day life on earth.

P Thought likes this.
  14. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

in my shorts watching good morning america sitting in my living room on the couch

15. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

My purpose in bringing this up was to express my feelings about the millions of people on this planet who have given of themselves in one way or another throughout the last 300 years. The men and women who have been through the fires of war seem to always have the attitude that, even if they did not come through unscathed, they would gladly go again if they could.
    There is a common thread that pulls through the behavior of self-sacrifice and happiness.
    I have to say that, once again, I cried a lot going through this post reading of everyone's personal stories, knowing of the emotional impact that they had on those of us who witnessed it.
    My father saw some of the worst action that there was to be seen in WW2, and was in the Army for 4 years. I always find it hysterical that when I watch the sitcoms from the 60's that are military based, such as McHale's Navy, I Dream of Jeanie, etc., that the worst duty that is used as a threat of punishment is the Aleutian Islands.
    During his life he worked like a mule to provide for his family and never once complained. But the one thing he did drive home to his 4 sons was never to get into a position where your giving is taken by someone who seems has no respect for it.
    That is why I find that personal, undisclosed, giving of oneself always seems to hold the greatest satisfaction.
    These higher aspirations-that we all engage in at one time or another during the day-are that which add the flavor and contentment with life.
    Anyway, I have never been in the military. I have never gone through the ravages of war. But I have dealt with several retired service members and each one seems to always inspire, and focus on their fellow vets.
    Do me a favor and watch this video, especially the first 5 minutes.

16. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I was working in a cubicle in Glastonbury, CT, in an office of about twenty people. Everyone was glued to the TV set in reception. I watched the smoke from the first plane, and the assumption was it was an accident. Far as we knew it was a small plane that hit, not a jetliner. Then the other hit, and I got it, all at once. 'Pearl Harbor' was my first thought. About half the people on our IT team worked in NY and right over the river in Jersey. One told me later he was on the ferry heading in when it happened, and they turned the boat around mid-journey, and docked back in Jersey.

I could hardly believe what I was seeing, as first one tower collapsed, and then the other. Somewhere in those moments, I called my wife. Just to hear her voice. It took a few months before I felt 'normal' again.

17. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Grad school in Boston. I was in class all morning and didn’t hear about the attacks until after both towers were already down. I walked into the office to drop off some licensure forms and they had a TV on in there.

“Huh,” I said. The replays were on a continuous loop that day.

I wasn’t shocked. I knew immediately what had happened. I’d been an airborne infantry officer until just six weeks before that; I was well aware of al-Qaeda and its various activities. Nothing about any of that was classified, either; the media at the time simply chose not to report it, taking its cue from an administration that... Oh well. Why go into it here?

18. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

I was home from work because I had contractors working in the house. I watched the whole thing live on the news, I saw the second plane hit before the newspeople realized it, they thought it was a replay of the first and I'm yelling at the TV! I grew up in NYC and still live in NY, so my second thought was how many people was I going to know that died.....the answer turned out to be 2 as far as I know, one was my wife's cousin. It was hard times in the area, but I was proud of the city coming together, I have tons of cop and firemen friends in the city, it's a miracle none of them were directly involved then. Unfortunately, NYC has gone way down since then, but that's another story.
    My Father was in The Navy in WW2, as were most of my uncles and extended family....times were quite different. And they truly were The Greatest Generation, it sure as hell ain't us Baby Boomers, Gen Xers, Millenials or Generation Z's.

19. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

When comes to 9/11 my heart breaks for so many Innocent people taken for no reason!!
    But on another note, something is just So Wrong about too many things about how those buildings went down!! In particular building 7 collapse!! No effin way the planes caused that!! Lucy, you have some spanning to doo_O

Looked to me to be control demo, Period!!

20. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I was still employed at the first pharmacy that I worked for. I had been to the dentist that morning for a cleaning or filling or something very routine. Here's the weird thing: all my other times at that dentist's office, I remember a local radio station playing that surely would have reported the event. All I remember from that morning is pleasant music.

That morning, I arrived about nine am Central, to find everyone glued to a little black-and-white TV in my boss's office. I had not a clue, and I remember going into shock.

I can't remember if we witnessed the second attack, or if it had just happened when I got to work and we were seeing news footage.

It was unreal. Such a clear day and there was no mistaking what the planes were intended to do.

Where were you when the world stopped turning?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.