Where were you on Sept. 11, 2001?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by garytelecastor, Nov 13, 2018.

1. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

Hi everyone. Haven't been around for a while. Been battling illness. That aside, as some of you know, at this time of year, I usually post some of the battle scars that my father obtained during WW2. Yup, I am that old. :)
    This year I thought I might try something different.
    I watched a very touching film tonight on YouTube called "Give 'til it Hurts". It is a documentary put together by retired and active duty SEAL team members and their experience with the past years. I found it very interesting that they had several members who were wounded in the wars and how they dealt with it. They all seemed to have a same consensus.
    Now I am sure you have heard of these guys and what they go through to join the elite of the elite. My first reaction to learning of the ways in which they far surpass the accepted human levels of human physical output was one of incredible curiosity of just how it was that they were able to go through-after 3 weeks of training in Phase 1 of BUD/S, pushing themselves ever further each day, to spending the last week in what is called Hell Week. Sunday night at 12 midnight to Friday afternoon, living off of 4 hours sleep and running missions and obstacles for the entire time. They run over 200 miles, swim many miles, do PT for hours, have races, and telephone pole contest between boat crews, etc. By the end of the week, they some are hallucinating, and sleeping wide awake. When they are done they are put in a guarded room and allowed to sleep for the entire weekend.
    Without going on their motivation is extraordinary, and I, grew fascinated in what it was that made this .8% that start training to finish.
    It's not ego, it's not concern about being the best. This is what I came up with:

"Becoming a Member of Naval Special Warfare (SEAL TEAM) is not about push-ups, pull-ups, running, diving, gorilla runs, log training, PT, Ocean swims, or anything else that can be classified as physical effort. Motivation is from the heart, and it is a love of family, neighbors, and country that drives these men. Their real strength comes from their heart and mind and love and sacrifice."

On the morning of Sept 11, 2001 I was on my way to a University working on my Psychology Graduate degrees. I was listening to a local radio station and suddenly the DJ stopped what he was talking about and said that the tv monitors were showing that there had been a plane crash at one of the World Trade Center towers. 20 or so minutes later they began to express groans and other heart-rent sounds as the 2nd plane flew in the towers. When I got to school, the campus was silent and there was not a tv screen turned on that didn't have crowds of student's watching the feed. I went through my day and spent some time in classes discussing the events. That night when i got home, I turned on the tiv and saw the true level of devastation that occurred in the US.
    I spent the night watching the news coverage and battling tears for all of the dead, injured, and devastated by the deeds.
    To this day, if they show replays of the scenes from 911 I still break out in tears.

The men and women who were in this video have found a way to deal with their emotional impact of these events and it is one that I feel has great benefit to finding contentment and meaning in life. They have given of themselves even further in helping all members of the military to adjust to physical, emotional, and mental wounds incurred during their time in-country.

I honestly believe that it is the giving and sacrificing of ourselves that provides true purpose in life. Takers and users are never happy.

One last anecdote. About 7 years after getting my degrees, I was at a buffet getting takeout for lunch. A man got into line behind me and he was in military uniform. He had lunch for his fellow soldiers and himself in hand. When I got up to pay for my lunch, I told the girl at the cash register that this gentleman's money was "no good here" and I would be paying for his lunch. Which I did and left. I was getting in my car and the girl was telling him in the store that he had been paid for and he looked astonished. A minute later a woman came to my window and said, "I saw what you did there. Thank you."
    Try this the next time you get a chance then inventory the experience and see how you feel about it.

So, where were you on Sept 11, 2001?

2. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

In a morning meeting at work, with probably 20 people from several agencies, a few of whom were from NYC. Word began to filter in and after the second plane hit, we stopped and found a TV, with the New Yorkers going crazy on their phones trying to reach friends and family. We’re outside of Philly, just a couple hours down the road from NYC, and it was the same perfectly gorgeous day here as it was there. My building (local government building) close at atbout noon or 1 o’clock and riding the few miles come from work on my bike that day was among the most surreal experiences of my life. Riding on this serene beautiful day but keenly aware of the horror that was still taking place just up the road in a city I spent a lot of time in.

Our generation’s Pearl Harbor - no way to ever forget where you were and what you were doing.

LocoTex likes this.
  3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I was at work, and had heard a vague report on the radio about a plane hitting the WTC just before I entered my building (I worked at a hospital at the time). I assumed they meant a Cessna or some other small aircraft.

I mentioned it to a co-worker and she said she heard it was a jumbo jet...we went around the corner to an unused patient room, and turned on the TV to the Today show and saw the second plane hit the second tower (I think that was live, but it might have been footage).

Just at that moment, my pager went off with "911-911-911-911" filling the screen...that was a code between my wife and I, meaning "CALL ME NOW!"

I was doubly freaked out, because she was 8 months pregnant...I thought she might be going into labor!

I grabbed the phone and listened to her; she wasn't in labor, she was just freaked out about the attacks...I remember her saying over and over, "What kind of world are we bringing our baby into?"

I still wonder that, on occasion.

4. Johnkir64

Johnkir64 TDPRI Member

Joyce Kilmer service area on the NJTP. Spent most of the day there. Since they were not letting trucks into NYC.

5. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

i was getting ready for school that morning (university of central oklahoma) and as i was brushing my teeth, turned on the tv a little after the first plane hit.
    i thought it was an accident until i saw the second plane hit the other building. then i knew it was no accident and we were going to war.
    never made it to school that day. i just sat there all day watching the screen in disbelief.

6. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

It was about 11pm here. Just getting ready for bed and perchance flipped to CNN just in time to see the second plane hit.

7. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

I was at work, i remember my employer saying what was going on, i'll never forget it, just like everybody i guess.....

8. RedRiverII

RedRiverII TDPRI Member

Sad to say I was 6 miles away from the Twin Towers. I heard the jets scrambling and the heavy choppers and just knew something wrong was happening. I was in that smoke cloud and didn't realize it was a sunny day until I watched it on TV.

9. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was waiting to get on a plane with a stop over in Newark. My father drove by the towers in a cab minutes before the first plane struck. He ended up being stuck in Newark.

10. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

My wife and I attended an opening in SoHo that featured a video work of ours. That afternoon, I went for a walk and came up to a street and pondered my options. To the left was the WTC, several blocks down, and to the right was simply away from the building. I was thinking about the previous bombing that took place there. I felt the dark, vibrating, and surging power of what had happened there. It was so immediate and strong, that I took a right and escaped it.

After we returned home, on September 8, someone rang the doorbell. It was one of the roofers that was there to finish up a job. I was fairly upbeat, and saying, "Good to see you again!" He just cast his eyes downward and didn't say anything. I got my wife to answer any questions the roofers may have, and she went outside to do that. A few minutes later, my wife, the most normal and sane person I know, someone whose values and completely in sync with mine, came bursting through the front door into the living room, yelling, "It's armageddon!"

In that split second before she elaborated, I was truly pondering whether this might, in fact, be the end days. It seems to odd to write that, and to have actually thought it. Then she mentioned the two towers (gone) and the Pentagon. For the briefest of moments, I actually envisioned devils flying through the air and fires breaking out everywhere. I don't believe in devils, nor angels, or anything else in that realm. But at this moment, it was the only thing that made sense at the time.

But, seriously, man, nothing will shake you up like your wife yelling about armageddon.

LocoTex likes this.
  11. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

I was still asleep, but I use to always start my day with the news, so I saw it as soon as I woke up.
    I purposely avoided anything that could be construed as political, but I have a feeling once people start to wake up this thread is doomed.
    Good luck,

Chunkocaster likes this.
  12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

On 9/11 I was living and working in Prince George, BC.
    I managed an extremely busy pawn shop.
    Because it was so busy, I was unaware of what had happened till later in the afternoon.
    I was in the throes of a divorce, and was told about it by my divorce lawyer.
    Perhaps strangely, I recall telling my lawyer that I thought Osama Bin Laden might have been behind it.
    I had been readng about him in various periodicals.
    I did not return to the US (Texas) until late 2003, so I did not have a real sense of how the events effected my countrymen.
    After being home for awile, I understood much better.

13. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I was lazing on the sofa shirking my obligation to work.
    Watched the same footage for hours on end as they updated slowly as the day progressed.
    I was dating a girl who's brother was a fireman at the time and she was very distressed about what was unfolding.

14. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

I was at the loading dock for my restaurant. It was a 7 am delivery day and I and another employee were putting away stock. A manager came running outside to say a plane had crashed into one of the WTC Towers. Horrible. I knew aircraft had crashed into the Empire State Building building in the 1930’s or 40’s. That time bad weather was the cause and as I looked up and there was a clear blue sky I realized that in NYC that morning I caught the weather report and there was High pressure and clear skies along the north east I 95 corridor. Minutes later she came back out , much more concerned and scared. Another plane hit tower 2
    I spent the next couple nights looking up at the stars to a sky that was the way my grandparents would have seen it. Without any aircraft. Not a blinking light anywhere.

15. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Here at the farm.
    Prepping the fields to plant strawberries.

tery likes this.
  16. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

I was at a corporate hospitality event (playing golf) at Hellidon Lakes GC, Daventry. I'd just finished the morning round and went into the clubhouse and saw a bunch of the guys who'd finished before me standing around the TV.

I went over to see what was happening and assumed I was watching a film (the first jet had hit). I was told that there's been a terrible accident. A minute or two later, the second jet hit the other tower.

At that point, it dawned on everyone that this wasn't an accident. Mobile phone networks went down. The event organisers cancelled the event and we headed home (about 120 miles).

Getting home took ages. Police, ambulance and fire engines were heading towards London (presumably some contingency plan had kicked in).

The world changed and not in a good way.

17. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Just got out of the shower getting ready for work. My wife said a plane had crashed into one of the towers.

I'm thinking some small Cessna or something. We were watching the news report and the second plane went into the second tower.

Then it was like, this is no accident. Then the reports of the Pentagon and Pennsylvania came in.

Went to work, but had the radio on all day.

18. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

On my honeymoon.
    A nice little cabin in the deep woods of Arkansas. It was absolutely beautiful weather that day.

19. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

I was at a religious revival in Albany NY - got home 9/10/2001.

Was working on LI when it all jumped off the next morning. One of the secretaries got a call and told everyone to look at the news on their computer.

The Revival crew had gone from Albany to a motel in northern Jersey right across the river from downtown. They watched the whole thing from the parking lot of their motel.

20. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

My firm had sent me to our San Diego office. The phone rang in my hotel room at a quarter to six, and my then-girlfriend said to put the TV on as a plane had crashed into what looked like my floor in 1 WTC.

I spent the next several hours watching my friends and colleagues die.

That was the worst day of my life.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.