Where to submit country songs?

Discussion in 'The Writers' Block' started by tonyguitargoat, Sep 27, 2020.

1. tonyguitargoat

tonyguitargoat Tele-Meister

My old bandmate has been writing lots of country songs lately and sending them to me as simple vocal/guitar demos. I have the gear (and the time) to build a full track around him to make a reasonable finished track. We're not trying to make records - we have no plans to release them - but just good enough to submit the songs. Most artists and publishers say on their websites NOT to send unsolicited songs. Isn't that how they make their living? Publishers particularly could easily listen to a few seconds before chuckling them in the bin, couldn't they, in case there's a gem somewhere in there.
    You'd think that artists themselves, unless they're so prolific as writers they don't need to, would welcome the chance to choose the best from hundreds of songs submitted to them.
    Any ideas who might be interested in at least listening?

2. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

I think big publishers only rely on a team of professional writers who write songs which are going to be appeal to a lot of people. If you want to at least your songs to be heard, i would try underground way smaller labels.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  3. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Meister

Why not self-publish? I know many small artists, virtually unknown outside of their locale, who have music on itunes, spotify, etc.

telestratosonic likes this.
  4. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

A friend of mine is a Nashville pro songwriter. He's had dozens of his songs recorded by top country artists, had one of his songs nominated for a Grammy, etc. I've learned from him that the way to get your songs heard is to live where the music gets made (Nashville or Austin), knock on publishers doors, play open mics, and most importantly make in-person connections with everyone you possibly can in the business, and be prepared to spend years doing that and working a day job before you're successful.

When my friend was contacted by Dierks Bentley's producer to use a song of his that later became a number one country hit, it was because the producer had heard my friend play that song at an open mic about 20 years before. Patience, persistence and luck. Submitting unsolicited songs in hopes of getting them placed with a recording artist is as likely to be successful as your chances of winning the lottery, actually probably not that good.

5. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hi, I just posted a new thread related to yours. Thanks for posting this.
    Jim

6. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

More artists write their own tunes than did fifty years ago. And most producers have long-standing relationships with tried-and-true writers.

I've been told over and over that the only way to break in is to perform them myself.

So I do. So far, the world has not stood up and saluted. Or even lifted a leg.

telestratosonic likes this.
  7. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Friend of Leo's

I recently wrote a good country song, but I won't be moving to Nashville any time soon. I'm playing hard-to-get.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.