Where to stay, where to go in Memphis

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teletail, Sep 13, 2019.

1. teletail

teletail TDPRI Member

My brother and I decided to take a motorcycle trip to Memphis next week. Any suggestions on where to stay, what clubs, music stores, etc. to hit would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Holic

Definitely go to The Rendevous for ribs.

You'll thank me later...

Hiker likes this.
  3. teletail

teletail TDPRI Member

I'm vegetarian, but I'm sure my brother will thank you. :)

drlucky likes this.
  4. Little Ricky

Little Ricky Tele-Holic

Interstate BBQ serves spaghetti with bbq sauce, probably vegetarian, and ice cold High Life's, definitely veg.

teletail likes this.
  5. kubiakl

kubiakl Tele-Meister

I took the Sun Studios tour while I was there and loved it. Everywhere we ate was amazing as well. Mardi Gras Memphis had some great po boys.

teletail likes this.
  6. teletail

teletail TDPRI Member

No animal died in the making of beer!

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm writing this from the suburbs of Memphis, and I just want to mention who stupidly hot and humid it is right now, in the Bluff City. Hotter than normal, with dew points high enough to cause heat stroke/heat exhaustion.

Plan all your activities for between 5:30 AM and 7:00 AM. I hope you have Cool Suits for that ride. I would recommend Maine, instead. Or at very least, do the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Cherohala Skyway, then boogie west via Chattanooga to Scottsboro/Huntsville/Corinth and come in to town from the southeast.

I might be headed for California, myself. Air conditioned car, headed for someplace above 9,000 feet in elevation, en route. Had enough heat for one year.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

There's still time to avoid Memphis! Or find a disguise to wear.

bgmacaw likes this.
  9. teletail

teletail TDPRI Member

bag on head.jpg

BigDaddyLH likes this.
  10. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I was in Louisville all week. Just got home. One night I was going to sit outside with my acoustic and play a little slide. I lasted five mins. It was 90F at 8:30pm. Too much.

OldDude2 and boris bubbanov like this.
  11. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Stax/Volt museum
    -Sun Studios
    -St. Blues Guitar Workshop is down the street from Sun Studios.
    -Beale Street is tourist-y but fun...lotsa good bands all day long.
    -BB King’s has decent-ish food (not bad, not great) but had excellent bands.
    -Soul Food Cafe across the street had some of the best collard greens I’ve eaten in a long time.
    -Civil Rights Museum/Lorraine Motel was interesting, and a little chilling (if you like history)
    -Payne’s BBQ—excellent food, dump of a building, shady neighborhood...but spectacular ribs and mustard cole slaw.
    -The touristy downtown area is a good walking-around city, some cool shops and museums and things to see.
    -Minor league baseball team
    -I think they closed the Gibson Factory there(?)...tour was kinda “Meh”, but that was more our tour guide than the tour itself. He wanted to be anywhere but there.

teletail and Marc Morfei like this.
  12. BigDaddyLH

(Kisses the ground like the old pope.) High of 20°C (68°F) in Kelowna today. That is my personal, hypothetical, perfect temperature. :)

boris bubbanov and TheGoodTexan like this.
  13. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

(In 1979) I was stationed in Millington Tn and made some visits to Overton Square in Memphis at the time. Place was hopping. I'll probably pass through the area again when we make a trip down south. I'm curious what it's like these days.

Telefan65 likes this.
  14. RCinMempho

RCinMempho Friend of Leo's

Martin Music used to have a large PRS inventory and lots of high end amps. I assume they still do.

Blues City Cafe (across the street from B.B. Kings) is an amazing restaurant, but vegetarian dishes I'm not sure about. They actually have the best ribs in town. If you did fish, the catfish there is excellent as well.

Xanadu music has Lowebow's (custom cigar box instruments) and some older stuff like Harmony's, Teisco's, etc. He's not open all the time, but you won't see another place like it anywhere.

I like to shop at Tater Red's on Beale Street for shirts and oddball momentos.

teletail likes this.
  15. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Some good friends of mine were just at Lake Louise last month. Being American and from the South, they decided to jump in. I think they last about 60 seconds.

16. BigDaddyLH

Our testicles evolved to be retractable, right? :lol:

TheGoodTexan and boris bubbanov like this.
  17. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

def do the downtown strip, tour the gibson factory (is it still open, not sure)... but if you do one thing while you are there... def... do... tamales and chili. changed my life (not really, but it was good). had a lot of fun just chilling at the park there by the river, took a ride on a paddleboat. Lots of history in the town for music and general history (also history regarding generals). lots of folks trying to grift you on the streets... more so than downtown la. watch for that.

teletail likes this.
  18. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Other than the alley by the Rendevous, stay out of the alleys in Memphis. Be extremely vigilant, and at night- think of it as a little Chicago, or little New Orleans in terms of crime, and bad boys.

It is definitely worth a visit.

Torren61 and teletail like this.
  19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Watching local TV in the Memphis market, is depressing. Imagine a city with 6 times the surface area of New Orleans and 6 times the population. And 6 times the crime.

While much of the crime is members of the local community preying on others they believe have no "thrust" or ability to draw huge headlines, of course it spills over onto the passers by and the tourists. Sure, tourist robberies, rapes and murders get Top Preference from the local media, but what I don't see is any actual movement in the direction of containing this epidemic.

Sometimes I think if the tourists just started saying "no", the local businessmen and civic leaders would understand this is cruel and intolerable for the long suffering denizens of Shelby County and Memphis - something needs to actually change.

Remember, while Memphis had a very, very bumpy start, eventually it took off like a shot and for many, many decades, just totally dominated the region around it and all the other cities in TN were dwarves, next to it. Now, Nashville has overtaken Memphis and is moving ahead rapidly. I expect Chattanooga and Knoxville to get by within the next 8-10 years.

OldDude2, Hiker and teletail like this.
  20. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.