Where to put monitors for best acoustics.

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Singles Forever, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Singles Forever

Singles Forever TDPRI Member

I just moved into a new house and I'm putting my recording studio in the basement. I'm trying to decide where to put the mixing console and the speakers. Where I have it at the moment it's in a very narrow space and I'm worried that there will be too much back and forth reflection cause theres nowhere for the sound to go. 20190611_122400.jpg 20190611_122342.jpg

Judging by these pics where would you guys put the monitors? I could leave it there or maybe put it at the transition between the narrow space and the wider space where the fireplace is.

Thanx.

Alamo likes this.
  2. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Hmmm......

If it were me I'd prefer to place the monitors at the wall that your second pic is taken from.
    Unless.....you mix at very low volume which I always do.
    Looks like about 8' or so wide which could create some unwanted wall reflections during mixing if you're using 8" or larger monitors.
    If you mix on near fields maybe not so much of an issue.

Another criteria for placement consideration....is that room a trapezoid by any chance?
    With those hard wood floors I'd expect that to be a very acoustically live room when recording.

Don't know if that helps much....but, here's a bump.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Singles Forever likes this.
  3. BuckSatan

BuckSatan Tele-Meister

I would have the monitors firing lengthwise into the room, so to the right of the fireplace and under the window, I suppose.

Singles Forever and Alamo like this.
  4. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

well if it were me, considering the space, the room, the reflections, I would put them up on your studio desk at ear level, both tilted in towards you. Its not a hi volume situation so it should give you what you need. I've been in smaller PRO studio console rooms where the monitors were just at ear level , up on the console shelf.

Is the purpose of the monitors to fill the room with music or for you to listen back during tracking ? Seems that would be two different purposes. Maybe two sets of monitors ?

Fill the room or listen back .

good luck with the new home !

RodeoTex and Singles Forever like this.
  5. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

That's what I would be worried about too. I'd also have it lenghwise, like @BuckSatan said.

have a look at these videos. the room looks very similar to yours.

6. Singles Forever

The main purpose of the monitors is for me to mix on. So I'll be sitting right in front of them, ear level. Just typical Yamaha 8inch nearfields. Also of note is that I will be taking out the closet doors is in this picture... Maybe that will give me enough space for the sound to go/get trapped? 20190611_130504.jpg

7. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

This is the more relevant video, not desk builing but acoustic treatment. (it's been a while since I watched those vids)

pedro58 and Singles Forever like this.
  8. Singles Forever

So I just measured the narrow part. It's 12 and a quarter feet from one wall to the wall inside the closet. So that will make it about ten in 1/4 feet from the speakers to the wall inside the closet.

The reason why I'm a little bit hesitant to put the studio lengthwise is because it will mess up that cool little portion with the fireplace aesthetically.

Another issue I just realized: if I put the console at the back wall where the fireplace is, the speakers won't be firing into an equal backwall. The right speaker will hit the protruding closet partition but the left speaker will go straight down to the end of the room. At least with the narrow option, I have 10 and 1/2 feet of basically identical reflection.

9. Singles Forever

Yeah lengthwise was definitely the best option acoustically and aesthetically. Thanx for the advice guys. I'll post more pictures when everything is done. I'll likely put up some foam as well.

Attached Files:

Alamo likes this.
  10. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

My first thought was leave the closet doors there, fill it with hanging clothes and open the doors for a nice, non-reflective trap when you're recording.

Singles Forever and pedro58 like this.
  11. pedro58

pedro58 TDPRI Member

I agree with adding something to absorb the reflections. Acoustic panels/foam.

12. Singles Forever

That's what I was kind of going to do. I was going to hang hundreds of cables inside there to absorb the reflections. But I ended up going lengthwise so it's not going to be necessary.

Alamo likes this.
  13. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

May sound too simplistic but, headphones?

14. Singles Forever

haha no mate. I definitely need some decent high volume mixing. Headphones is just for checking details for me :)

Alamo and RodeoTex like this.
  15. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Ad Free Member

I would worry much more about the walls behind the console than the back walls.

Those monitors are rear-ported, right? If you're going to get a clear picture of your low end for mixing, you'll want some sort of bass traps/panels behind them to keep the reflections from booming back at you. It'll also help to decouple the speaker cabs from the shelf. Near-field techniques are all fine and good for highs and mids, but the bass freqs can be a nightmare when it comes to mixes that translate.

16. Singles Forever

So given that the back walls are now about 30 feet away, i shouldnt bother bass trapping them?

17. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Ad Free Member

No, you'll want something back there, especially in the corners, but the front wall (behind the monitors) is the bigger priority. Even at low volumes, it's gonna muddy the low-end waters. ... Truthfully, it's hard to second-guess that back wall because of the unusual dimensions. That niche behind the keyboards looks like trouble, and no telling what that corner cabinet in the rear is gonna do. I'd wait til you've gotten the feel of the new mixing environment before making a judgment on that, but definitely attack that front wall first. It might seem foreboding right now, but hey, it's a good problem to have — a lot of guys (like me two years ago) would kill for a space like that! :D

18. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, how do you reach and read the knobs and meters on the top of your rack?!? :lol:

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 3.16.30 PM.png

19. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, looks like you need a ladder to reach some of that stuff. What all is in there? I see a dbx something. Ensoniq Dp 4 maybe up near the top? That’s all I got.
    Oh, La2a of some sort too.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

20. Singles Forever

Well I'm a pretty tall guy ;-) also I put the stuff that I rarely use at the top. I barely touched that dbx and that Yamaha analog delay, although it sounds amazing, doesn't get used that much. Although I do use it. The warm audio la-2a clone has two knobs so it doesn't matter that it's high. Basically I just stand up and I reach it no problem. The other stuff is since and filters which I have access to while I'm sitting down. There's also a tube Tech CL2A and a vintech Neve clone around the middle to top.

But what I really need now is something to dampen this room. I can't even play my strats and teles because it sounds so awful to me.

Has anyone ever tried using egg crate mattress toppers?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.