Where To Purchase Capacitors?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by ridgeroamer, Mar 27, 2016.

1. ridgeroamer

ridgeroamer TDPRI Member

I am getting ready to change out the filter capacitor in my Bad Cat Cougar 5 and was curious where you guys purchase capacitors and if you have a brand you like.

I'm looking for a 100uf 500v capacitor.

2. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

Some of the advertisers whose banners are at the top of the page.
    If your purchasing is a one off event,
    Then Amplified Parts, Tubesandmore, or Mojotone should have anything you need.

3. andyfromdenver

andyfromdenver Friend of Leo's

is that single ended el84? i imagine 400-450v is fine, but can't say for certain without testing/seeing factory voltages.
    do you need axial or radial?
    what's the V rating on the part you are subbing in for?
    if radial probably easiest to use mouser, if axial, the formentioned.
    justradios is a good option too

4. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

Occasionally, you can find high voltage 'lytics at Allied, Arrow, or other electronics parts suppliers. When you do, they cost a lot less....

-tINY

5. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Many local electronics stores sick NTE caps, which are fine. Normally you'll find the largest ones they'll have will be 20uf/500V, but most will order whatever you need. Prices are comparable with other sources and although I stock F&T's I have used NTE's for years in a pinch and never had a problem. I avoid new Sprague Atoms like the plague - overpriced and some..if you cut one open, which I did because of a rumor I'd heard...there is a small, cheap Chinese cap inside the big blue canister.

johnmowery likes this.
  6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Antiqueelectronics. That's where I go; orange drops can be had for less than the cost of a soda.

BorderRadio likes this.
  7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I do AntiqueElectronics too, mainly because I can pick it up locally. My new go to for stuff they don't have is MojoTone. They have the little orange drops I like.

8. andyfromdenver

andyfromdenver Friend of Leo's

man, that would be very convenient! (the local picking up part). sans the extreme dry heat :)

9. BorderRadio

It grows on ya! And its humid in July and August: myth busted!
    I wish I lived by Darren Rileys or Angela--so many Fender and Gretsch parts, and good prices.

andyfromdenver likes this.
  10. Mr. Lumbergh

Ahhhh yes, home. There are very specific reasons why I left Phoenix.
    I do really miss the summer monsoon season though. Loved watching the thunderstorms roll in, and running after them with my camera gear. Good times.
    What part of the Valley are you in?

11. BorderRadio

You sound like a seasoned Phoenician! Summer storm season is the best, second to the perfect winters everybody else loves. I was living near downtown Tempe but recently relocated to Gilbert.

12. Mr. Lumbergh

Very cool. I grew in the Arcadia District. South of Indian School though, not the schmancy part. Interned for the City of Chandler my last year at ASU, so right next door.

13. BorderRadio

Nice. Yeah we are looking to settle permanently in Arcadia or parts of Scottsdale (maybe even schmancy parts). We were staying near the light rail and town lake, so spent alot of time in both places, besides downtown Phx and Tempe.

14. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

I had always assumed that the story was an urban myth.
    Only used them once about 5 years ago because it came with a kit.
    If someone were to post a YouTube video of someone opening up the big blue can and revealing a little crappy cap could sure do some harm to Sprauge's reputation.

15. Fred Mertz

Fred Mertz Tele-Afflicted

I'm not sure but I believe the Spragues were probably fake/counterfeit. There was/is a problem of old caps being recycled by replacing the internals with cheap electrolytics. Ted Weber had a big problem with his caps 8 or 10 years ago. I think they were Elon caps. This could happen with any brand. Best insurance IMO is to deal with a first tier distributor like Mouser.

16. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Best advice I have is to use radials, they are cheaper than axials, and if you need more than 450, 2 radial 450 in series are cheaper than a single 500v axial.

Many more flavors of radials to choose from and a high ripple, 105C 10,000 hour cap will run you half t he cost of an F&T. http://www.mouser.com/Nichicon/Passive-Components/Capacitors/Aluminum-Electrolytic-Capacitors/Aluminum-Electrolytic-Capacitors-Leaded/_/N-75hqwZscv7?P=1z0wrkiZ1z0wrkgZ1z0wrk9Z1z0wrjxZ1yhfkpyZ1yqujggZ1yx4ardZ1z0zlbmZ1z0vn47&Ns=Capacitance|0&FS=True

mRtINY likes this.
  17. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If you think you may need quite a few in the somewhat near future, check out Kendrick Amps. They sell bags of 10 or more at very reasonable prices (if buying by the bag) and have most of the common Fender sizes and values.

18. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

I've seen pictures of Radial caps stuffed inside axial "covers" as well. This isn't a particular problem if done well.

The radial caps are a lot easier to manufacture.

-tINY

19. Fred Mertz

Fred Mertz Tele-Afflicted

It's a huge problem if your paying for new capacitors and what you pay for is not what you receive.

20. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

Well, if it operates properly and fits, I don't see the issue on <$5 electrolytic caps.

If you paid over $10 for a 20-40uF, 500v 'lytic cap, you have other problems, I guess....

The ones I saw were of new caps - it's just that they used radial caps inside a sleeve with the axial leads on it. They looked like they were at least as durable as the axial leaded ones made on obsolete tooling.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.