1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Where to go in Mexico?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by charlie chitlin, Feb 28, 2021.

1. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The thread about unspoiled places got me thinking about Mexico.
    Such an awesome place, but there's trouble...right?
    The last time I went, ALL the cops in Tijuana province were on leave and they were testing there guns to see how many matched drug murders...so far they were up to about 300.
    We were on our way to Rosarito, and my Mexican amiga said, "Roll up your window and lock your door."
    "Veronica...we're doing 70."
    "Just do it."
    A friend of mine was put in jail there for being in a car accident.
    It seems that causing an accident is a crime. The cops came and said, "A crime has occurred here. We're going to put both parties in jail until we figure out who is responsible."
    On an almost quaint level, my same amiga tells me she was driving and there were some orange cones across the road with a space in the middle big enough to drive through, so she did.
    Pretty soon...a few cops...20 bucks and she was on her way.
    It seems like the country is half narcos and half cleptocracy.
    Where is the cool place to go in Mexico?
    And I don't mean tourist places.

2. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

Been a long time since I was stationed in San Diego, but we always went to Ensenada instead of TJ to avoid all the crazy stuff. I don't know if that has changed though....it has been about 30 years.

sotob and E5RSY like this.
  3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

My daughter was partying in Cabo several years ago. They were arrested for being "drunk in public" just as they exited Senor Frog's. They weren't really doing anything out of hand for a party town and Senor Frog's! They were released when they paid $100 each to the officers. But it was like 1-2 hours later.

Not too touristy:
    Years ago I took the Copper Canyon train ride. That was cool. You can overnight at the top at Creel.
    https://theculturetrip.com/north-am...ore-riding-the-copper-canyon-railroad-mexico/
    San Miguel de Allende is a nice little place and an artists enclave. Not a party town.
    Oaxaca is cool.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I've been Watching westerns, well I've always watched Westerns, and was just thinking it might be nice to visit a low drama area in Mexico, away from the border but safe. Eh, maybe we'll stick with the Gulf.

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I was watching this great movie just last night

6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Disclaimer, I'm not an all-inclusive kind of traveler. I like Barra de Navidad a lot. It's really easy to get there from Puerto Vallarta. It's a lot less "Senor Frog" and more of a community. It's the Stinson Beach of Jalisco. Pretty mellow place with great food and not too overdone.

Do you want to get away, really get away? One of my favorite places on the planet (not including my beer fridge) is Barra Grange, Bahia, Brazil. It's closer to Salvador than Sao Paolo. But if you're a gigantic city guy Sao Paolo is full of great adventures. Salvador is a wonderful melting pot with some of the best food flavors you'll come across due to the blend of West African and Asian influences.
    Do some digging. The web is full of great travel resources. Like I said, I am a "ask the bell hop guy" not an "ask the concierge" guy when I travel.

trev333 likes this.
  7. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

Uhh anywhere you won't get hacked up into pieces? Pretty violent down there currently. My mexican brother in law doesn't even want to go back down. I visited his village near Puebla and it was one of my favorite places in the entire country. I'm sick of Mexico city and Tijuana and a lot tourist trap places.

That Cal Webway and Milspec like this.
  8. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

There are places in Baja that are heavily populated with American and Canadian expats... Outside Todos Santos for example.

It has always been lucrative for tourism and also not very strategically beneficial for the cartels so their activity there has been low... But I hear that recently that is starting to change.

9. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

i've only been to CDMX and it was great. but it's more like taking a vacation to a euro city than it is like some touristy beach or border stuff. bars and ruins. DIY music venues and art galleries and all that. a lot of punk and metal stuff. it's a really cool city, have a few friends that either lived there for a while or permanently relocated. essentially the NYC of latin america. next time i go i'll probably try to visit puebla as well. i think americans aren't hip enough to non-resort mexico. CDMX is definitely a lot cooler than a lot of cities in the US.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  10. reactor99

reactor99 Tele-Meister

11. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

Go to Belize! Waaay cooler stuff to see.

Bortyeast and bgmacaw like this.
  12. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Mexico? Now?? Nope!!

dented and MickM like this.
  13. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I was just there the other day! ;)

14. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

If you’d asked me 45 years ago I’d have had some great suggestions. Now, not so much - which makes me very sad.

A beautiful people and country. There are now government built tourist areas on the coast that are kept safe for the tourists. Best to stick to those given current situations. Or go to one of the still-lovely cities like Guadalajara or Monterey. Out exploring on your own as a gringo is tough nowadays. Again, that breaks my heart.

Milspec and rickthescot like this.
  15. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Sadly (very sadly), it's no longer the Mexico of my childhood (Texas) or military years (So. Cal.). If I were there now I'd want to visit the airport and fly back home.

Milspec likes this.
  16. Stillhouse

Stillhouse TDPRI Member

North, as quickly as possible.

17. Bortyeast

Bortyeast Tele-Holic

The east coast is really nice. Anywhere from Cancun down to Mahahual.

18. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted

One of my favorite places iin Mexico is Yelapa...about an hour east of PV by boat....no roads. I've taken all my wives there...not at the same time of course.....there is some cruise ship traffic (excursions, not the entire boat) but its not bad, and there's the gringo "guide" whose job is to hit on the tourist women.

I also like Mazatlán...years ago my wife and I went on a cruise where it was one of the stops...my wife and I had each spent some time there in the late 70s....so we spent the tour comparing the various places wed hung out....the rest of our group were convinced they were going to be kidnapped at any moment while we were pointing out bars and taco vendors....I understand that things have heated up and the tourist/cruise ship traffic is almost gone...

If you want all the good things you get in Mexico, without the undercurrent of feeling like you're living in an episode of Narcos-Mexico, Costa Rica is the place....the pacific coast is the mellow side..."out of the way" is often about 100 yards off the highway....

dcos likes this.
  19. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

went to TJ for a day in mid 80s with a GF when we visited some of her relatives. No problems, bought some real cheap tequila(thank you Johnny Winter) and a couple of chintzy switchblades and walked back to the US side parking before dark. Now you couldn't pay me enough to travel to Mexico without a native of the area to navigate issues involving the police/military, language ,etc.
    When I'm in a foreign place I will always behave like a guest and acquiesce to the behavior expected of me. My first job paid 90 cents hr. so I realize that the locals aren't raking in union wages and over tip accordingly.
    Sorry I can't recommend a particular city or town but I have a very reliable guy from coastal Peru. If you decide to go further south pm me.

20. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

Some of the best places I’ve traveled were “red zone” USA govt high risk terrorist areas. Riding on top of a jeep though the jungles of south east Asia - right into militant Islamic controlled villages...good times. Great people. I didn’t even have a pocket knife. Didn’t need one. Give respect- get respect. I wouldn’t hesitate to be the only white boy in “dangerous” Mexico. If I die, I die. But I’m gonna live first.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.