Where to go from here?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by grim83, Feb 17, 2020.

1. grim83

grim83 Tele-Holic

I recently made a pretty killer deal and flipped my boss katana 50 and a beater guitar into a peavey 6505mh and a 1x12 v30 cab. The peavey is cool and i dig it but I find i prefer my blackstar ht20 (mk1) for my dirt and would like something more aimed at cleans and light dirt (less metal more classic rock or hotter country and blues sounds) i play a variety of guitars (and styles think jazz to thrash) my main guitars are (strat, tele, lp, and a dinky). I want the amp to be fairly versatile for the non metal leaning sounds and it needs to behave with single coils and humbuckers. I also only play at home so it needs to be able to get light breakup at a reasonable volume.

Im thinking a vox ac10 or 15 would be cool as i havent messed with vox much. The main thing is it needs to be a realistic trade for the the peavey and or cab.

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

2. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

First I will say that I love a Vox AC15 with a tele. However where you said "home play" and "breakup" that might count that one out as it is really loud.

For home play I would look at the AC10, its cheaper and the breakup will come faster.

I am pretty sure you can trade amp for amp with what you have if someone is looking for that unit.

3. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I play an AC15C2, I plugged into an AC10 recently and was astounded at how much better it sounded at lower volumes. Night and day. Warm and juicy (ac10) compared to spiky and hot (ac15). Think I'll hire one for a night to test at a gig

4. grim83

grim83 Tele-Holic

That was my main concern with 15, unfortunately the ac10 is rare as hens teeth in these parts especially used.

5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Grim, ime, the 6505 will do anything in between clean and high gain metal scream. Just because it can do all of that gain doesn’t mean that it has to do all of that gain.....and it will do clean very well.

Frodebro likes this.
  6. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

@grim83
    Doesn't that Peavey have several lower wattage settings? I would think either the 5 watt or 1 watt setting could get into the volume zone so that the amp could achieve that "light breakup" you're lookin' for.:cool:

Although my real answer is whatever amp I want, cranked into its happy zone and then attenuated to the desired sound pressure level, or "volume" if you will! I use one of these attenuators:

http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/simple-attenuators-design-and-testing.98285/

Pics of my first attenuator build are in post #178 of the linked thread. This has become the most liberating piece of gear I've ever owned, in 50+ years as a usually gigging guitarist/sound engineer! I can use any amp up to 50 watts, cranked into my favorite, tonal "sweet spot" and never be too loud, unless of course I wanna be! :p

Just My $.02,
    Gene

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  7. grim83

grim83 Tele-Holic

I have the 6505mh. It does all of it, im just restless and always chasing another high for my gas....
    The mh does 15, 5, and 1w. Its a cool little amp. I just prefer the blackstar for higher gain stuff and feel like i could get a better clean to mild overdrive sound. Or ill trade it and not like what i get and move on to the next swap lol.

Wally likes this.
  8. The Ballzz

FWIW, my current amp swaps between a 13 watt 5E3 Tweed Deluxe and a 20 watt Marshall DSL20CR. Each one is equipped with a Celestion, 1969/Pre-Rola Greenback. They are both glorious in their own rites! This attenuator makes life happy!

Just Sayin'
    Gene

9. The Ballzz

Oh I see, so this whole thread was started as a "GAS TREATMENT" session? :eek: You don't need no stinkin' advice, as you likely have a good amount of your own! :p

You Realize I'm Just Yankin' Yer Chain?:D
    Gene

Wally likes this.
  10. grim83

grim83 Tele-Holic

Honestly im now eyeballing an ltd ec1000 lol. Ive never had active pickups :shrug:. Gas is an eternal disease.

11. Wally

+1 with Gene.....you don’t need advice. You need to continue to fulfill your gas while hopefully gaining enough experience to know what it is you want and how to finally get the tools that will go there. good luck with the search.....

And...overcoming denial is the first step in dealing with obsessions. You may be on the road to recovery.... (;^)

12. grim83

grim83 Tele-Holic

Lol thanks wally. It took me a while to realize i tend to prefer these more "metal" amps for most everything i play. I just keep going back to the idea of a more "vintage" amp type... and they usually dont live up for what i need. My only complaint on my blackstar is the lack of a mild overdrive. I love the nasty gain, and i love the clean but there is no middle ground without using pedals, which i never do. Maybe im just better off swapping for another guitar lol.

bftfender and Wally like this.
  13. Wally

Grim, what is interesting is that like many of the high gain amps, there is something closely. Related to a big tweed in the heart of that circuit. If one understands how to manipulate the various gains, there is a wide world there...and some surprising ways of getting there, ime. The 5150 and the 6505 amps that I have seen are my favorite Peavey...and not just for high gain.

14. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Most metal amps dial back for killer rock..my Peavey Ultra 60 is so big american & then can be devastatingly crushing..i love the note clarity achievable under some pretty heavy gain..not really a brootz player but can go there quick on it and then back to serious chimey clean..ValveKing 2 on Jensens has become my fav recording situation lately..the Chords & note clarity into the Jensens it siting right on top the p bass ..hardly any mix work to do.. Then Have a peavey Blues Classic..thing can be nasty metal Then so rock & blues...

15. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Orange th30 that has a great sounding channel and more gain than I would ever need on the dirty channel.

16. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Funny thing about those amps is that everyone using them for metal. I don't know exactly how the 6505 differs from the 5150, but I used to gig through a 5150 playing alot of low gain stuff on the clean channel, with and without the crunch and bright buttons engaged. It sure didn't sound like a classic plexi, but I bet that a knowledgeable person could get it there.

To the original poster: If you have a suitable cab for cranking that thing up, try the clean channel.

Wally likes this.
  17. grim83

grim83 Tele-Holic

There is nothing wrong with the 6505mh, it is a good sounding amp. I feel like if i had the big iron sibling (i.e. a real 6505 or 5150) i would be completely sold on it. My biggest issue is that it doesnt play as well with my lower gain humbuckers like my lp that has burstbuckers in it. Im just restless and like to swap my gear around during extended bouts of gas. I have also thought about grabbing a smaller 1×8 cab for when i want to be quieter than the v30 really allows for.

In short GAS is real and there is no cure

Wally likes this.
  18. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

I guess I didn't notice the 'mh', and I didn't know that there was an el84 version of that head.

19. Wally

Yeah, the lower power output could be a challenge for cleans.....if one was work8ngnin a group and not micing or running to the board. As for ‘not playing well with lower output humbuckers, I am curious as to what that issue is. Is there too much gain with humbuckers? If so, have you tried a 22AY7 or 5751 in V1?

20. grim83

grim83 Tele-Holic

It is cool for people like me, plus it has presence and resonance controls.
    I think its the "eq curve" of a more pafish humbucker. My jb equipped dinky rips through it but the lp sounds kind of wonky.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.