1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Where to go for Steak and BBQ in DFW?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Norton72, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

My brother is coming in from WA to meet up with an old schoolmate from AL to go watch the Cowboy Classic (Alabama vs. USC) in Arlington of Sept. 3rd. I'm going up there to meet them, go to the game and spend the weekend with them. I'm not really familiar with the area, but my brother said there was "no way I'm going to leave Dallas without having steak and BBQ." I've read a lot of reviews on area steakhouses -- mostly "top ten in Dallas" type reviews. Most seem to be more upscale restaurants, and I had more of a chophouse type place in mind. I remember going to a place in El Paso in the 70's called Billy Crew's where you went down a line before you were seated, chose your steak and told them how thick you wanted it cut. I thought that was kind of cool, but didn't see anything like that in my search of DFW steakhouses. I searched for places at the Ft. Worth Stockyards and the Cattleman's Steakhouse and Riscky's looked interesting. Riscky's also looked to have a pretty good BBQ menu. I have to say, I feel I should have some reservations about eating at a place called "Riscky's".

Does anyone have any experiences at these places, or do you have other suggestions? My brother is a beer and Maker's Mark drinker, so the wine list is not so important.

Thanks,
    Jude

2. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Believe it or not, the DFW BBQ scene is not as great as you'd expect. Lot's of decent chain BBQ, but the really great stuff seems to mostly be further south in the state. That being said, there are several excellent newcomers: Lockhart's Smokehouse and Pecan Lodge are the consensus favorites and Smoke and Off the Bone are get honorable mentions.

As for steak, for great steak in Dallas, you do end up paying for it. I hope someone chimes in with a place that serves up top quality beef for less!

3. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

I live in the big D. For BBQ, I'd recommend Hard Eight BBQ. There are a few around the DFW Metroplex. A couple of the suburb cities where you can find a Hard Eight are Coppell and The Colony. And for steak... One of the best steaks I've ever eaten was at a place called Nick & Sam's. It's a nicer place. But they serve a sirloin called the baseball sirloin. It's called that because it's as thick as a baseball, and even bigger around... Amazing. Good luck choosing your stops, and enjoy the Metroplex while you're here!

4. emptycup

emptycup TDPRI Member

Norton72 likes this.
  5. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

for BBQ....

http://www.pecanlodge.com/ - absolutely top notch. You'll have to wait to get in. It's crowded. And worth it.

I'm in Fort Worth so I've done both Cattleman's and Riscky's..... Cattlemans has a cool atmostphere but isn't that great of food. Similar thoughts for Riscky's. You could do waaaay worse, but wouldn't have to try too hard to find better.

This place is close to Cattleman's....... check out Lonesome Dove. Cool atmosphere and great food......
    http://lonesomedovefortworth.com/

Some other places to consider:
    Del Frisco's
    Bob's steak and chophouse
    Reata
    Woodshed Smokehouse - My wife's and my favorite date spot. Really fun.

Norton72 likes this.
  6. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

At the places I mentioned at the Stockyards I saw Ribeye plates running ~$50. That's acceptable to me. One of the reviews mentioned a place where they bring the various cuts to your table, explain what they are and how they are prepared. They were directed to the Chateaubriand and were surprised to find it was $144. I don't like those kind of surprises!

7. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the suggestions!

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Never order anything you don't know the price of! Unless it's on an expense account...

Norton72 likes this.
  9. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I guess it's one of those place where they say, if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it. I'm not there yet.

10. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    Texas Monthly Magazine has a list of the best BBQ in the state - and they seem to know what they are talking about.

In Dallas it's Pecan Lodge: http://www.texasmonthly.com/list/the-50-best-bbq-joints-in-the-world/pecan-lodge/
    In Fort Worth its Cousin's Bar-B-Q: http://www.texasmonthly.com/list/the-50-best-bbq-joints-in-the-world/cousins-bar-b-q/

And, a by the pound only place in Dallas that's a transplant from BBQ city extraordinaire Lockheart, TX is the Lockheart Smokehouse: http://www.texasmonthly.com/list/the-50-best-bbq-joints-in-the-world/lockhart-smokehouse/

11. DTPBUSCHPILOT

DTPBUSCHPILOT Tele-Afflicted

If you can make it to McKinney, Texas Hutchins barbecue one of the 50 best bbq places in the world!

12. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

If y'all ever make it down this way, check out Snow's BBQ in Lexington. They're only open from 8AM Saturdays until they run out, which is usually about noon. Best ever. I might have to check out Lockheart Smokehouse... or any number of the above mentioned. Decisions, decisions.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.