Where to get a template? (tele double cut)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TRobbo, Jun 29, 2016.

1. TRobbo

TRobbo TDPRI Member

Hi guys,

This is my first post on this website so please forgive if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I was just wondering whether anyone knew of a place where I could get a router template for a double cutaway tele? I've got all the materials to start this project (my first!) but just can't find a template anywhere and can't find anywhere where I can get one laser cut.

Thanks in advance for any help :)
    - Tom

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Print out the tdowns regular drawing on the main HD page. Fold it in half. Trace both halves on a piece of 1/4 sheet goods along a centerline. I like 1/4" plywood. Unfold the drawing and stick it down so you have the cavity routs in the right placce. . Cut and sand to the line. There's your template.

HockeyPop98 and TRobbo like this.
  3. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't seen one of those. I do mine by flipping the template I made from the Terry Downs PDF of the Tele. You could probably make the template that way too :rolleyes:

Hi marty... lol

mattgwvt, guitarbuilder and TRobbo like this.
  4. TRobbo

TRobbo TDPRI Member

Cheers guys, I'll give it a go and let you know how I'm getting on :)

5. lynxkcg

lynxkcg TDPRI Member

6. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Tele-Meister

I can do it in my CNC but I'm based in the UK. I'm getting a bunch of acrylic soon to go a full set for a member of another forum of Jag, Mustang and Jazzmaster. PM me if you like!

Dan

7. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Yes, you are in the right place!
    I predict you are going to want to make more than just one Tele. Trust me on that! I recommend you print out the referenced templates (sticky at the top of the forum) and just make a straight up standard master tele template.
    1) That's the easiest way to make the template.
    2) Once made you can easily lay out and rout your double cut (or make a double cut template) by simply flipping your conventional template. The converse is not true - you can't easily use a double cut template to route a normal tele.
    3) When you decide (as you will) to make a normal Tele too, you're already good to go.

And welcome to the Home Depot - you'll like it here!

Rex

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  8. Durk

Durk Tele-Meister

I use a standard tele template. I drill two small hole on the enter line of the template, one where each pickup route will be, and transfer them to the centerline of my blank. I insert 2 finishing nails that fit snug and make sure they are below the template surface. I then trace the bottom and back half of the guitar on the blank. Then flip the blank over and trace the rest. After that cut it close on the band saw then route with the template on as usual except for the front upper portion. Flip the template and route the front upper part. As long as your alignment holes for the nails are correct you will be good to go. Maybe that makes sense.

9. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome TR! Why a double cutaway? The classic single cutaway is quite nice.

10. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

+1 on what durk said... but note, if the template was made directly from an original vintage body, there may be some subtle symmetry irregularities revealed.. this should not be considered an error, but rather a product of the way the periphery of the bodies were sanded back then... a power edge sander can remove 1/16 inch or about 1.5 mm in a single pass...

Ron Kirn

11. Durk

Durk Tele-Meister

I didn't even think of the body not being symmetrical on older models. I believe I bought the last set from you and they work fine for this. I actually just bought some of those famous Ron Kirn strat templates on ebay a few days ago.

12. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

I'm famous? OooOOOooooooo wait till I tell my wife .. she'll haft** SMACK... Ow... damn . . . she was standing behind me.... :eek:

r

Deed_Poll and Durk like this.
  13. The Crash Cowboy

The Crash Cowboy Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.