Where to find Yamaha Revstar Pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Okieactor, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Okieactor

Okieactor Tele-Holic

Can you buy just the humbuckers that go in the Yamaha Revstar? I played a used one in a local store and was blown away. I now understand the hype. I wound up playing an SG right after, just to make sure it wasn't the amp or something. Great sounding guitar, stood up well in comparison to the SG, much less expensive, better headstock design too.

That said, I'm on hold regarding buying any new guitars for probably a couple years. Plus I still think the revstar is kind of ugly, just the aesthetics, although it seemed very well built.

But anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows where you can get those pickups, I haven't been able to find them online, except for a pair sold years ago on Reverb. Thought I might try to get some for my PRS 245 SE SC, probably wouldn't go in a tele, but who knows.

Any leads?

Yamaha YGD
    Vh5 (I think this is what I played)
    Vh7 (I think these are even a step up)

2. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

The pickups that did sound great in the local store might not sound so nice with your guitar and amplifier but if you contact the same store thay might be able to help you find some with their connections. Another thing to do is register a alert on ebay when and if they is on sale there :)

3. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Buy a used revstar. Pull and replace pickups. Re-sell used revstar.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  4. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

This. You can probably break even that way.

5. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

So what's the deal with those pickups that makes them different? I just went to Yamaha's website, and all that they say is "Humbucking Pickups/Alnico V."

It's not something that could be attributed to the electronics, is it? I see that all of the Revstars, including the ones with P90s, have a "Push-Pull "Dry Switch"."

Okay, so the specs for the VH7 and VH5 look to basically be the same:

VH7 : RSP20CR -
    Alnico V magnet, German silver baseplate and heavy formvar wire for punchy, dynamic, articulate tone and the perfect balance between gain and clarity. [8.4k (neck) /8.8k (bridge) DCR]

VH5 : RS820CR / 720BX / 620 -
    Alnico V magnet, German silver baseplate and heavy formvar wire for bright, powerful, balanced, vintage/modern sound. [8.4k (neck) / 8.8k (bridge) DCR]

...Am I missing something? Same magnet, baseplate, wire, and probably # of turns of wire, because the DCR is the same for both.

Here's details on the Dry Switch:

Dry Switch
    Designed especially for Revstar, the Yamaha proprietary Dry Switch gives you the versatility of a coil split, but with tone that's miles ahead. Using a passive filter circuit painstakingly designed to give the perfect frequency response, the Dry Switch filters out low frequencies to give the punch and clarity of a single-coil pickup without the inevitable hum and hollow tone often associated with split humbucking pickups. The Dry Switch works on both humbuckers and P90s for a totally unique, usable tone.

[​IMG]
    ...So the Dry Switch is passive. Sounds like probably a series capacitor, or maybe a high pass R/C filter, with a resistor parallel to the cap.

If the Revstars with the VP5 P90s sound as impressive as the ones with the VH7s/VH5s, it might be due to the passive circuitry.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  6. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

People swap out good pickups all the time, especially humbuckers. I really love Ibanez Super 58s, but they get replaced all the time. I'd like to believe they're not sitting in a drawer somewhere, so similarly, watch eBay for Revstar pickups.

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Could try writing to Yamaha. Talking to a dealer of Yamaha or watch Ebay/Reverb/Craigslist like others have mentioned.

8. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

9. Mister B

Mister B Tele-Holic

I have a P-90 equipped Revstar and recently had to remove a faulty pickup. There is a sticker on the bottom saying G&B PICKUP CO.LTD. A quick Google search suggests they are a Korean manufacturer supplying lots of factories in the region. Apparently PRS SE guitars use them, I'd guess they also supply the humbuckers used in Revstars.

10. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Check out sites like Ebay, Reverb for used pickups.

11. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Yep. I got a set of them for about $35 on EBay. I put them in my Squier Standard Strat.

12. Okieactor

Okieactor Tele-Holic

All good suggestions.

FWIW the guitar does sound good with the low-cut engaged, but I really just like the normal sound on both neck and bridge. Whether you leave the tone all the way open or not. To me, it sounds better than my SG. Maybe I should just get a used revstar, it is a better neck joint than gibson, and has huge, very smooth frets.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.