Where to find used acoustics? Searching for a specific Taylor.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Slow Graffiti, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Slow Graffiti

Slow Graffiti TDPRI Member

Hi friends,

I am looking for a certain run of Taylor guitars, used or new. Specifically I am searching for a non-cutaway Taylor 526 or 528 produced around 2016, maybe later. Earlier models produced in 2013-2014 are more uniformly brown, lacking the edgeburst and reddish tint of the later models I am after. I would even settle for a 520 or 524, but do not want the slotted headstock introduced on later 520s. There are tons of newer cutaway 524s around; the rest are sparse.

Where do you look?

I already scan Reverb, eBay, Guitar Center, Sweetwater, Elderly, and The Music Zoo. Where else? Do you know of any other Classified spots? Maybe more acoustic-centric forums or hubs?

2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

The Acoustic Guitar Forum originally was the Taylor forum but Bob made them pull the name. I haven't gone there in years but it is certainly the most Taylor specific discussion group. I think they have a buy and sell subforum

Slow Graffiti likes this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Guitar Center lists all their stores used stock on the website with generally a lousy pic that might tell you what you need to know. You can also call that location and ask specific questions to get a hands on description.
    If you find the guitar you want at a GC store far from you, you can buy it at your local store and pay a $20 shipping fee to have it sent to your home or to your local GC. The two archtops I've bought this way were very well packed in huge boxes and arrived undamaged.
    If the guitar arrives damaged or not to your satisfaction you get a no hassle refund on the spot.

4. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

I would recommend the unofficial Martin Guitar Forum (UMGF) buy and sell. I've bought more than 25 guitars off that site in the last 10 years and never had an issue. The usual cation applies but I've only found good people and honest deals.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Slow Graffiti and kingofdogs1950 like this.
  5. Slow Graffiti

Slow Graffiti TDPRI Member

Thank you. I have joined the Acoustic Guitar and Unofficial Martin forums. The Acoustic Guitar folks do seem to be obsessed with their Taylors. Hoping I can pry one of them away.

I already check the used listings of Guitar Center and Sweetwater a couple of times a day.

Where else?

6. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

One other possibility might be to have Taylor build you a custom. I just got the latest W&S yesterday, lots of new eye candy.

Slow Graffiti likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.