Where To Find Tweed Amp Baffle Screws?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by jsnwhite619, Mar 9, 2016.

1. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

There's the question. Anybody got a source for authentic looking ones?

Thanks

2. jsnwhite619

Awesome. I guess I didn't know what to search for....or have time to go through 1,000 choices of screws. Thanks!

3. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I spend alot of time at the local Ace hardware looking through screws and washers. Normally I find what I need there.

4. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Afflicted

For Tweed baffle look, you want copper head screws. The old decorative ones with the rosettes (?) Fender sometime used are long gone, but Mojo and others sell them at a premium (if you need more than 4, then a fastener site will supply them for much cheaper).

Having owned a few old Tweeds, I never thought using zinc of stainless looked right.

5. jsnwhite619

I found these, and they look pretty cool with the dark copper. http://www.guitar-parts.com/catalog/fender-style-baffle-screw-tweed-amp
    The screws on Mojotone just don't look special enough to warrant paying $11 shipping for a dozen screws from NC to GA. Mojo was going to be $17.70 for a dozen after shipping, and they just kind of look like tarnished nickel in the picture. These came out to $14 for 10, and I have been looking for a few days. Wood screws come in some great antique finishes, but machine screws don't have a lot of options.

Attached Files:

6. jsnwhite619

I did some experimenting. These are from a 99 cent pack of zinc screws. Soaked them in vinegar all day, let them dry, then steel wool and wd-40. Those are the nuts that came with them in the picture for comparison. Anyway, I think it gives a nice vintage patina. [​IMG]

mozzman likes this.
  7. jsnwhite619

For an update on the copper/bronze screws I posted above, they ended up being too short for my baffle. I used 3/8" for the front cleat, baffle, and 1/4" strip to offset the grill. They poked through just far enough for me to feel them, but not nearly enough for securing a nut. I'm going to see if I can find some 6-32 T-nuts tomorrow and get in the holes without tearing the grill out too much. I think that they will work if I can get them started in the holes.

Here's another shot of the vinegar-soak against the shellac'd tweeed.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.