Where to buy PCB ASSEMBLY DSP56725 for Fender Super Champ X2

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by TonySS, Oct 27, 2019.

1. TonySS

TonySS NEW MEMBER!

I have problem, my SCX2 has no sound since my DSP stopped workin. Does anyone knw where I can buy a new DSP card for my Fender Super Champ X2 HD? Part no is 0092163000.

Regards,
    Tony

Pasta Player likes this.
  2. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

"Discontinued. This product can no longer be ordered." Sadly, so many digital items are destine for the landfill.

LudwigvonBirk, Wally and muchxs like this.
  3. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

A few years back I owned a Fender SS Deluxe 90 DSP amp. It was fun while it lasted, but after the DSP side went out, the amp totally quit working. Unable to get anyone able to repair it, this amp too, was dismantled and wound up in landfill. Since then, I will most likely never again buy any amp with digital effects on them or any digital amp.

muchxs likes this.
  4. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

And so it begins.

I'm looking forwards to a ready supply of dead Tonemasters to tube out.

Comes the day the only critters left will be sentient post Apocalyptic cockroaches. It's inevitable said sentient cockroaches will discover your crud encrusted LP records and quickly learn how to play them. I envision cucaracha Woodstock happenin' under your fridge in the ruins of Chez Yours. Imagine! Bugs dancing to your old Beatles and Stones records.

:D :D :D

Randypttt and Bill Moore like this.
  5. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

This is a good reason the tone masters should be a bit cheaper. Clearly a tube amp can last for and be used for MANY decades. We'll have to see how the tone masters hold up but I'd have to assume they will age similar to the older crop of dsp amps.

6. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Anything DSP will have a shelf life, old crop or new crop. They may have common $10 DSP chips, but they are loaded with proprietary firmware, and that's what makes them unique and destine for obsolescence. It's not nay-sayer attitude, just the disposable life we live in.

Again, I point to my late 40's and early 50's Fenders and Gibsons that have no forseeable end of life.

Wally, LeicaBoss and Telecastoff1 like this.
  7. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

The board isn’t available. You either buy another SCX2 and swap the brains out of it, or build an amp from the existing chassis. A head is the cheapest to buy used.

It takes some more holes in the chassis, but you have (3) tubes and a decent OT toward building a Princeton Noverb. The PT *might* work, but it would need to produce enough heater current for another couple of tubes.

If you like the cab and 10” speaker, I believe a Champion 40 chassis slides right in. Other models may, too.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  8. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's

There are two issues. One, those boards aren't easily repairable. The second I've mentioned before, is that Fender doesn't want to pay for warranty work. Anything that is not made in the Western hemisphere is on the "do not repair" list. That means if you bring me a dead Fender item, I can't do any troubleshooting under warranty. I fill out a paper, get reimbursed for a half hour, and you come back in a week to pick up a shiny new amp.

If it's out of warranty, the boards for these are not generally available as they don't make extra parts because they aren't supposed to be serviced. See where this goes?

I have a hard time chalking up any musical instrument to the "throwaway" column, but we're definitely past that point.

9. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

To continue what @corliss1 said, is the amp under warranty? It used to be 5 years. For the last couple, it's been 3 years. If warranteed, you get a new amp.

10. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

And that is what I don't like about modern amps....longevity is not implied. I had a Champ XD for an early amp which I thought sounded really great until one day it just stopped mid-song like it was unplugged. Tech said the board was trashed and he couldn't get a replacement. Just like that, it became junk and I swore I would not go down that road again.

11. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's

12. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

13. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

I haven’t had any issues with my SCX2, but I just bought a mint VHT 12/20 Special. Being hand wired I assume that it is completely serviceable. New 6L6 power tubes and pre amp tubes are on the way as well as a new hemp cone alnico speaker. I am stoked.

Pasta Player likes this.
  14. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

Since you have a chassis, cabinet, speaker, transformers and a bunch of small parts there already, maybe rebuild it with a PR or vibrochamp circuit?

15. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Sometimes the boards show up on Ebay, but the question I'd have is why they were pulled in the first instance. You may have some comeback under the E.U Sale Of Goods directive as an electronic device like that would normally be expected to have a certain working life.
    I'm going to add my voice to the chorus of build an amp into the cabinet/reuse the chassis for something different. Musikding, TubeTown and others have some lovely kits you could adapt to fit. The Musikding Madamp G3 is a simple build resulting in a superb little amplifier for example.

Pasta Player likes this.
  16. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Never Say Die… jus sayin’

Just as there are ways to “flash” chips on certain computer video cards to implant / replace the necessary firmware to enable these cards to work on computer platforms that they weren’t originally designed for… would it not also be possible to do a similar “flash” of these DSP chips onto a new chip?

Certainly beyond my current skillset at present, but perhaps there’s someone capable of such a task, just waiting to tackle this? In this instance, would it not be a matter of having a working SCX2 chip to clone the firmware from and then reload it onto a new chip? In a sense… something of an aftermarket “replacement chip” much like the “remake” of say… a carburetor?

ALSO, given the existing USB computer link of the SCX2 (and possibly, even the use of Fender’s Fuse™ software) isn’t there already something of a pathway for such a possible “resurrection-clone” of a new DSP chip?

Don’t get me wrong here, I’m not against the conversion of any SCX2 to a full tube amp, but if my SCX2 should ever expire, you bet I’d be investigating a possible “chip resurrection” or clone replacement before any such full-tube conversion - or complete trashing of the amp.

Just because the item / board is discontinued… no reason for me to throw in the proverbial towel and purchase a new amp. I have replaced other amplifier chips before, just not any that were pre-loaded with firmware. (Yet.):twisted:

*Seems that Fender does provide the Firmware (v1.2) for the SCX2 on their website here: https://fuse.fender.com/superchamp/support/

Telecaster88 likes this.
  17. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Good points, but...

What is actually rong with the DSP board? There’s no fix or mitigation until the root cause is known.

Pasta Player likes this.
  18. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I think the issue is you'd have to know how to diagnose those little mini digital chips.

Pasta Player likes this.
  19. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The amount of tools/software/computer stuff you'd need to buy to do it would be cost prohibitive, as would the time of someone knowledgeable enough to do it. Even if you have access to an engineer skilled in this stuff it can be very hard to figure out without documentation from the original designer (Fender) that Fender is highly unlikely to share.

You're talking about loading the firmware into Flash ROM that might be on a logic board. But the problem might have nothing to do with the ROM. Who knows if this board is a System on a Chip where everything is in the one DSP chip. Or it could be a separate DSP, separate CPU, Separate chips for RAM & ROM, some Flash, who knows. Could be any one of those chips. Or it could be a failed trace on the PCB and all the chips are fine. Or it could be a SMD solder joint that needs to be reflowed.

The amount of things that can go wrong is drastically higher than for an analog amp. Usually why the only way the stuff gets repaired ever is a warranty replacement board.

Andy B and Pasta Player like this.
  20. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

All very good points, above.

However… with the executable firmware file provided by Fender (noted above) AND with a certain amount of computers (of various platforms here) and "a little" computer experience… I would be unafraid to give it a go. Breaking it down to very simple terms… that inexpensive chip is merely a “switch” with certain imbedded instructions (via firmware) as to how it performs its’ tasks. But before I’d only suspect & remove / replace the chip (with the glorious product “SMD Chip-Quik”) I would check all of the capacitors (and everything else before assuming that it was the chip itself). Pretty easy to do a visual check first, of all the caps, traces, etc. and then also test all with a DMM for possible culprits.

Certainly I wouldn’t simply “throw the baby out with the bathwater” especially if the problem could be as minor as a failed capacitor. And sure, it could very well be a total catastrophic failure of the entire PCB itself (lightning strike)… but are we not conditioned to quickly just throw it all away and buy new?

Here’s a .pdf on the DSP56725 chip itself: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/DSP56724EC.pdf

I’m certainly no engineer, but often I am amazed at the things that I have *resurrected for very little $$$ …to the point that I would definitely give this a go if my SCX2 ever took a proverbial “nap”. And yes, I’d first look for the more “simple things” before replacing the DSP56725 chip. [*Including (but not limited to) simple re-flowing of poor quality PCB soldering, by baking the boards in an oven.]

To me… simply buying a new amp, television, etc. is “cost prohibitive” when I can possibly “fix” the problem myself… or at least give it a good try. YMMV

Well, maybe it's not a "simple switch"... but more of a clearing-house / junction for specific "tasking".

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    Rowdyman and Telecaster88 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.