1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Where to buy men clothes

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1955, Apr 16, 2015.

1. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

A few years ago the lead singer of a band I was in changed his look for on stage. He wore goofy looking athletic shoes with this spring thing at the heel, draw string pants or shorts or cargo shorts, and a t-shirt or tropical shirt. One night he shows up for a gig with a better shorter hair cut, a little bit of stubble, black sweater, clean jeans and black loafers. Some women took an interest, chatted him up, and he got phone numbers. This never happened before. He was in his late 40s at the time. Lesson learned.

2. VintageMike

VintageMike TDPRI Member

Go buy a few men's magazines like GQ, Men's Health, Men's Fitness, Playboy and look at the articles and ads, find something that catches your eye then go to the mall. Macy's carries nice clothing. Show the pics to a salesperson. They'll take it from there. You might want to take extra cash to buy a couple shirts and pants and maybe a new belt. Don't be a cheapass. I personally dread shopping for clothes. I wait until I go on vacation so I can buy a years worth of souvenier t-shirts.

3. The Bone

The Bone Friend of Leo's

Boxers, not briefs
    Jeans - get a workingman's brand. Wrangler, for example.
    Couple of pairs of Khakis.
    Couple of pairs of nice shorts - Lands End is a good source, so is Old Navy
    Couple of nice silk shirts, like Tommy Bahama
    A button up long-sleeve shirt or two in case of emergency (nice dinner, wedding or funeral)
    A nice jacket in case of emergency (see above)
    Quality footwear.
    Antiperspirant
    Clean Teath
    Clean Hair.
    Clean Bedroom
    Clean Bathroom
    Clean Sheets.

4. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks, guys!

5. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

What I'm getting from your testimony is that your number one step is to get measured. Number two is to go to stores that sell clothing in actual sizes rather than just "S/M/L/XL".

If you have a slim body but a huge neck, they do make slim cut shirts - you can get one of those a size up in the neck and not be baggy. If that's still not enough, you can buy the right neck size and have the alterations department take them in for you. I get a lot of slim cut shirts from Macy's, and they frequently have pretty good discounts running.

As I am a tall person and not overweight, there is nothing on a major department store pants rack that will fit me. For jeans, the farm store has every size of Levis and Wranglers available in one-inch increments at lower prices than any regular store. For dress pants at a relatively reasonable price, I usually end up at Nordstrom Rack, where they have unhemmed pants and an alterations department. With a store card the alterations are mostly free.

6. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's where I get mine too (Kenneth Cole Reaction slim fit) and yes, Macy's has sales going on constantly. Typically I get the shirts for $25-30 each which I feel is fair.

7. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Great help everyone, thanks!

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

It's only fair, when you get all duded up as your NEW self, ready for dis? PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!

9. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

Lands End has great stuff and Sears sells them. Wait for a sale. I like Mens Wearhouse also but NEVER pay the sticker price...they have sales seemingly every day and the discounts are drastic.

I like Shoebuy.com for shoes. Excellent selection, sales all the time and totally no-hassle return if the shoes don't fit...they'll even send you a return label.

10. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave Tele-Meister

Look at what Adam Levine wears. Then, don't wear that.

11. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

My wife buys clothes for me, and then she returns the ones I don't want. She's a shopping pro, and what I have learned from her is......

Kohl's has cool stuff that's not too expensive.

Carsons, Macy's and Nordstrom have really cool stuff, but you will pay more.

Nordstrom quality seems really good. I bought a pair of pants there 15 years ago and they're still almost like new.

Shopping might seem like a chore, but when you wear some new cool stuff you'll probably be glad you did it. It's a good feeling.

12. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I'll post a pic if the above advice helps me find the right one.

If I find the wrong ones in the process, I'll be posting more diatribes, using memes as irritating softeners, blindly swatting with ignorant cynicism, and spewing unsolicited excess verbiage, as usual.

Perhaps this is why the right one eludes me. She must be out there somewhere clogging or honing some other delightful hobby, but just has not seen me in ma tight fittin' jeans yet.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  13. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks for the help everyone!

14. BMor

BMor Tele-Meister

I buy clothes at Calvin Klein, classy and fit.

B. M.

15. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Update:

Thank you all!

I took everybody's advice, went to Macy's, etc., and literally the same day my search was over, I found her. Total time I was officially dating as a single guy: 2 weeks, lol.

16. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Good thread.

I figured if I read all of the posts I learn something I didn't know.

I didn't know about Sheplers or Paul Federick they look promising as a source for shrits.

I'm an clothes online guy.

Shopping for clothes at a store is on the same list for me as doctor visits and calling hours.

Things that are sometimes important to do but only to be done when absolutely necessary!

Haines has a website for direct buy of underwear etc. Besides that, I use Amazon, Cabellas and Lands End.

'55 glad to hear you're mated.

17. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

LOL I'm laughing because my missus has just dragged me kicking & screaming shopping for new clothes, I hate new clothes/shoes etc, I like the lived in slouchy look, being as I'm an old scruff:D I look like a bloody shop dummy :lol:

18. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I don't believe I've seen Lands' End mentioned here. They've improved a lot since the spin off from struggling Sears and are more like the original Lands' End.

I need trim fit, some I know need tents that look like casual or dress, some in between.

The Lands' End no iron cotton dress shirts are among the best I've had and they have sales quite often. Your choice for pants length is in 1/4 inch increments.

One other tip that's especially good if you're big or small but not fat is Patagonia's web outlet. That's more casual and sport but quality stuff where for me a medium fits right in neck and sleeves but doesn't leave room to inflate an inner tube around the belly.

FYI: Lands' End fitted shirts in higher thread count or higher quality fabric are not cheap but not as expensive as others - especially if you watch for sales. Silly as it may sound that better cut and fabric that behaves well really do help make it look like you didn't just roll out of bed.

19. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Afflicted

This is where I have gotten some of my stage clothes in the past. (when I wasn't playing country) Reasonable prices, fast shipping. Look sharp is you're out on the town or to a wedding. http://www.naderfashion.net/

20. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

Met with my Dutch friend at a cosmetic show last week and he was wearing a killer suit. Fitted, while you wait, in Amsterdam. 400 Euros. That's $400 these days. Nice suit. Better price than Hong Kong. He says they feed you coffee and snacks while you select material and get measured and within two hours your tailored suit is ready. Beautiful material. Nice cut. The first trip to Amsterdam, after our second one graduates, I'm getting a suit or two. You would easily pay over a grand for this quality in New York and you would need to wait a week or more for the suit to be ready.

Pakkend Netherlands.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.