Where to buy drill and router bits?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by tigger, Apr 27, 2019.

1. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

I would like to get a set of good quality drill and router bits (strat and tele round-overs, 2" spiral flush trim bit, various drill bit sizes, perhaps even 1" neck cutting bit). What is a good single place to buy them from? I imagine stewmac has them but I imagine the collective mark-up would be significant.

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Ebay, shop for the best price and get them home delivered.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  3. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

StewMac well. . . they can be overly pricy... for Drill Bits, Grizzly is excellent, I get Forstners from WoodCraft.. they occasionally have a 16 piece set on sale for about 40.00.
    https://www.woodcraft.com/products/forstner-16-piece-bit-set

For router bits... I find the Yonico bits, available on eBay are excellent... and inexpensive enough that it makes getting them resharpened economic folly. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=281797330391

Also woodcraft will occasionally have this set on sale for 29.99. they're not cobalt, bit pretty good "throw away" bits... https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodriver-100-piece-combo-brad-point-and-twist-drill-bit-box

rk

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I like the Bormax forstner bits from woodcraft. They are European made and 1000 times better than the MIC cheap forstners. They are available at Woodcraft and probably in your neck of the woods too. I have 3 or 4 of the sizes I use the most. No point in a set of them just sitting there unused. Every once in a while I wish I had one that was 1/4" and have to resort to the crappy one.

I prefer the whiteside router bits as my first choice. Freud, and CMT next. After 40 years of bit buying, it boils down to them. I'm not impressed by the Bosch ones from Lowes. Some times you need it today though and have to get what you can get.

I tried a yonico rabbeting bit on my March build and it seems OK, but I'll stick with the Whiteside when I can.

You get what you pay for with router bits and drill bits. A bit that you only use once in a blue moon doesn't have to cost you 30 dollars though. I'd suggest you spend the extra money on quality flush trim, pattern routing bits, straights, and roundovers though. Some of my cheap bit purchases have been duller new than quality bits that have been used up.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/3-4-bormax-forstner-style-bit

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CS7DD2/?tag=tdpri-20

The best drill bits set I ever had was from Hanson in 1980. I still have them. Who knows what the quality is like today.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    tigger and eallen like this.
  5. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

MSC Industrial Supply for all your cutter needs from cheap imports, to decent USA made, to high end imports, they have it all. And, what I mean by "have it all" is that their print catalog is 2+" thick.

tigger and Blue Bill like this.
  6. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Afflicted

some veteran advice above... and I am but a humble freshman so keep that in mind.
    I will second that yonico bits are an amazing value. It is good to have some flush cut pattern bits that you only use for mdf/particle board -assuming you make templates out of that, and save more expensive bits for figured wood only - IMO. Yonico stuff is kind of in a category where they are almost too good for that, but given their price... they are perfect for that and more.

whiteside... if you've got to cut some figured wood I wouldn't use anything but whiteside. even after I've used my whiteside bowl bit on everything... it still cuts through figured wood like no other bit i have. freud/mcs/amana are pretty good but pretty close in price to whiteside. that has been my experience anyway. stew mac is probably on par with amana and I wouldn't be surprise if they were actually made by them.

I have a set of fisch brad point bits that are really nice - $30 on amazon. compared to things I've bought at the hardware store they are much better. biggest difference is that the point is ACTUALLY center... which means balanced in the drill press and the hole is the EXACT size.

have a harbor freight forstner set... not that great when compared to the single fisch forstners I have, but again - when I need to hog out the hf works great... when I need an exact size hole - fisch.

Treadplatedual and tigger like this.
  7. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

Thanks! That's all super useful. I have no means of telling expensive from good. It seems MSC is also in UK which should mean lower shipping. I'd rather not buy all individually on Amazon since shipping isn't free.

8. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

If you go through a woodworking store, like woodcraft, you’ll need to know exactly the tool you are looking for. Stewmac will help you find the right tool based on the job you are doing but you’ll pay more. Drills and routers can be found for cheap on c-list in good condition, but buy your bits new.

9. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

Hey Tigger...

I use a place located in New York called Tools Today, that has every single type of router bit, drill bit and much, much more. If you are planning on buying high quality bits, this is the place to look. They have all of the bits you will need to build guitars.

Even better, for you folks over in Europe, is that if you purchase more than $250. they provide free International shipping. While this seems like a bit number, if you need to get all the bits (router, drill, forester, etc..) it is actually not that expensive.

https://www.toolstoday.com/t-international

And for folks in the USA they offer free shipping when you purchase $49. or more...

Honestly, these guys carry stuff that most luthery supply places just can't...

How about 1/4 inch cut pattern router bits?
    https://www.toolstoday.com/miniatur...outer-bits-with-upper-ball-bearing-guide.html

What about three flute (instead of the standard two)?
    https://www.toolstoday.com/flush-trim-3-flute-plunge-template-router-bits-w-upper-ball-bearing.html

How about Spiral and compression pattern bits?
    https://www.toolstoday.com/solid-ca...lunge-flush-trim-compression-router-bits.html

Seriously, these guys carry them all...

tigger and RogerC like this.
  10. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

Thanks again! I mostly need a few guitar specific bits as the workshop is stocked with general purpose (and metric) router and drill bits. Knowing what brands to buy is also great since I will be using them comparatively little but tearout would cost me more than the bits probably.

John Nicholas likes this.
  11. DavidV

DavidV Tele-Meister

I like the roman carbide forstner bits from Grizzly. For router bits I like freud, huao (one of the more expensive aliexpress brands), yonico, and grizzly in that order.

12. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

tigger and John Nicholas like this.
  13. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

I also own the first one! It's an amazing bit!!

14. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Afflicted

plus another shout-out for Yonico.
    Ive had a couple where the bearing blew up, but they’re cheap enuff it causes no real regret.
    Whiteside and Freud would approach being a good value if you’re gonna get em resharpened after the hour meter gets up high on em. But in my house.... resharpening router bits?... ain’t nobody got time for that.
    Just throw in a fresh Yonico off the bench.

tigger likes this.
  15. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

Thanks yet again! I think I'm going to go the Yonico route seeing a ~4x price difference and not expecting to use it for more than ~2 bodies/year. (I also use a robosander first where applicable..)

16. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

the difference between a Yonico and one of the premium bits, Amana, Freud, Whiteside, etc is the expensive bits are made from a finer grain carbide, thus they take a finer edge and retain it longer...

That's important if you're gonna be shaping a truck load of parts, but for just home use, the Yonico is fine..

While some may feel the finer, sharper edge produces a better product, consider... the router bit never touches your guitar... Never... after the routing comes sanding... that removes a few thou from the surface, thus the router bit's footprints are "blown away" by the sand(ing) storm...

But for the Rolex crowd, the finest cuts come with spiral bits, but at about a hundred + bux a pop, many rethink what I said about the sandpaper... which is the last "tool" to touch your guitar before the finishing process starts..

rk

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    tigger likes this.
  17. chauncy

chauncy Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

18. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Not if your router doesn't accept 1/2" shanks :). Not a bad deal if it does. They don't offer a 1" deep pattern bit though. Not a whole lot of difference between the short one and the long one. A shorter flush trim with a 1/4" shank and a 45 bevel as opposed to that one shown would be more useful from my experience.

I think a better set would be a 1/2 x 1 straight, 1/2 x 1/2 template, 1/2 x 1 template, 1/2 x 1 flush trim, 3/16" x 1 straight, 3/16" roundover, 1/4" roundover 1/2" roundover, and 45 degree bevel. That would cover truss rods, router jig planing, pattern routing, edges, and pickguards for tele, strat, and LP junior.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    tigger likes this.
  19. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

Mlcs is a good place. I like to buy still bits from Bisco tool supply in Florida, they have a wide range of options and great prices.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.