1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Where to buy Car and Home Insurance?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

One would certainly think that from dealing with them.

nojazzhere and Deeve like this.
  2. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Afflicted

AAA since your in California. Best coverage and best service. Good luck!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My asking was brought about because after over thirty years of dealing with the same insurance company for both car and home, the company was bought out, and a new business model put in place. IE: Charge more, offer less. We quit them and went to another company that seems nice on the surface but research indicates they are a terrible insurance company. Further their billing process is poor to say the least. Last billing cycle I ended up having to pay twice and get a refund processed. Another thing is, I told them right off, I don't want or need anything but my insurance from them. What do the do? They want me to allow them to be involved in my financial planning, estate planning down to the plot they might have for sale just outside the edge of town, and a host of other endeavors. The final straw was when they tried to get me to go through them to get my OIL CHANGED! Not since the evil woman from the investment planning outfit I once got mixed up with have I seen such and intrusion into my affairs.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. Cpb2020

Cpb2020 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I’ve been with StateFarm for 20+ years (home/car/umbrella/one of my term life policies).

I know that I could save a fair bit if I shop around and switch. But I like the guy that I signed up with, even though I’ve only spoken to him a few times and have never had a claim. Silly, I know.

5. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

NOT Hartford. terrible. rip offs. they actually helped a crook commit insurance fraud and raised my rates to cover their loss. long story and if I keep going I will violate forum rules. steer clear of these jokers

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

USAA has treated us very well. I have been with them for years. If you are a vet, check them out.

7. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Pretty much all insurance companies give you teaser rates to get you to sign on. Years two and three of your premium are a better indicator.

Just ask the salesperson if they will guarantee the rate stable for three to five years.
    Should reveal a lot.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

You are both hoping the same thing: that you won't need it.
    Meanwhile, they are getting your money.

9. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

USAA since 1982. Great company...no issues.

10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

We use State Farm. Long story. 14 years with Progressive. No claims, no reported tickets, no accidents. When my son turned 16 our premium increased $2,500. Geico and a couple others wouldn’t even take us. State Farm for about $1,000 more per year. And still no claims, no accidents, no tickets.

Long ago we had Nationwide and one day they sent a termination. I asked why and the agent said we had too many claims. My wife called to ask the agent if we had enough coverage for uninsured motorist and they logged the call as a crash, really. So they said they’d take us back and I said a lot of words that are not appropriate.

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

in Canada we Have Insurance Corp British columbia ICBC , my wife decded to go through a private company ,I stayed with ICBC , 2 days ago I got a rebate cheque from them for 100.00 because insurance rates dropped to people staying home because of the bubonic plague , how nice was that?

Mrs 24 didnot get one, TEH HEH HEH :D:D:D:D:D:lol:

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. mbr

mbr Tele-Meister

I had Farmers car and rental insurance for 30 years. When a neighborhood fire on a Saturday destroyed my cabin and everything I owned, I couldn't get hold of them or the agent until Monday. NO emergency service on weekends. Then they gave me such a runaround with my claim, trying to get me give up and go away, it just made me madder. They caused more stress than the fire.
    They ended up paying in full anyway. I hope I gave them more stress than
    they gave me.
    A couple months later, when my car insurance was due, the agent called to ask why I didn't renew with them. I can't post here what I told him, but it felt gooood.

13. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

State Farm. We have a good agent who takes care of our needs. Another factor is that the body shop manager recommended State Farm to me when I asked after Farmers screwed me every way possible on repairing my immaculate Sable after I got rear ended by the drunk years ago.

14. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Allstate for many years and they have done good by me. Can't complain about the rates. I had been with State Farm for many years before that. Can't remember why I switched, but found out at the time that my rates at State Farm were much higher than my new rates. Probably a good idea to shop around every once in a while.

15. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

USAA if you have any sort of connection to any of the uniformed services, otherwise try Liberty Mutual.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Another USAA customer here. I suppose they're the lesser of the evils.

Deeve likes this.
  17. reactor99

reactor99 Tele-Meister

We're happy with Nationwide, very good service on a home claim.

+1 to shopping around every 5 yrs or so, everyone seems to give good intro rates and then ratchet it up.

I will never have Liberty Mutual - one of their insured drivers hit us, they admitted fault, and they still gave us the runaround for over a year on paying our ER bill

18. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

had a pinhole leak in a pipe that flooded the ceiling in the downstairs bathroom. it got about 20 gallons worth & busted the sheetrock. I called my State Farm guy and he said if we make a claim our rates WILL go up. I asked if he would come look at the damage to see if it was worth it. he said that if he did, it was the same as a claim...... rates would go up even if he came to just look at it

19. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Farm Bureau.

20. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

State Farm full bundle including CEA.
    Expensive but they mostly just ask “how much?” and write the check. No screwing around.
    The two lawyers I’ve had to work with through them were top notch. They really enjoy winning.
    I’m not interested in a discussion of the morals of insurance companies because it’s all solipsistic navel gazing.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.