1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Where to buy Car and Home Insurance?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Where do you buy your car and home insurance, and are you happy with them?

bcorig and Treynor like this.
  2. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Holic

We just switched our bundle from a company that we've been with for 35 years to Allstate for a savings of $650 per year. Feel kind of bad because we just got a $20k re-roof out of the old company. Wait a minute. Why would I feel sorry for an insurance company?

We'll see how Allstate works out but, of course, the hope is that we'll never need them.

Also dropped cable for Youtube TV. Almost the same programming plus some new ones at exactly 1/2 what we were paying.

nojazzhere, dented and Toto'sDad like this.
  3. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Statefarm

4. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

The Hartford through AARP. Bundling yields a discount and we get all the old people and recreational driving discounts. I guess going grocery shopping and Dr. visits is recreational. We had a roof leak and they gave us $2400; which was $400 over the deductible. Cost us $2100 so it was close. I think they are more happy with me, first claim since my truck wheels were stolen in 2011.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Geico’s served me well for car and renters for a couple decades, including servicing at least 5 claims I can think of offhand. They seem to have competed with Progressive for their market since forever, and the experience is a bit “commodity” feeling, but it’s worked fine for me.

Only really negative experience I’ve had was with Travelers, the other guy’s insurer.

I know a lot of vets talk up USAA but I’ve asked them for a few quotes over the years and they’re never even competitive. Maybe service is much better or more personal, dunno.

6. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

USAA coverage started anout 50 yrs ago,, due to papa's Navy background.
    While not perfect, they routinely wind up less costly than others, in side-by-side apples/apples comps.
    As others suggest, rates improve when mortgage, auto and homeowner coverage are in same company - add umbrella?
    Is it possible to be over-covered?

Attached Files:

7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I'm just going through this. I'm changing after a decade with Allstate. A couple things I can tell you:
    -Insurance rates seem to be low when you change. Then they get them back to where they want you.
    -Allstate has raised my rates excessively over the years on both and I'm changing now to Farmers. No claims in 20 years.
    -My new rates are lower and better coverage. But they were lower when I switched back to Allstate years ago too!
    -None of it seems to make sense. It's like fishing, they just want to set the hook.
    -Different agents, same company, will quote different and make it all complicated.
    -AARP/Hartford was good years ago, they are competitive now. They seem to want you to do the work on everything. Last time I considered them they wanted me to provide details like "how far away is the fire hydrant" etc etc. I dont know, you are in the business, there are maps, you tell me!
    - Many on line highly advertised companies are super expensive! I can only conclude they just prey on people who don't check around. Last time I checked Liberty Mutual or Progressive, they were 1.5 to double the cost!

CONCLUSION: Change often to save money. (which I haven't done)

duzie and nojazzhere like this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe twenty-five years ago I switched from Allstate to a Statefarm agent my mom was using. Not only did I increase my homeowners coverage, but my premium went down significantly. I'm still with Statefarm, although the agent retired years ago, and Statefarm SERVICE has declined considerably, and rates have increased every two or three years.
    I believe every once in a while you stumble across an honest and diligent agent.....but the companies themselves are all borderline crooked.
    It's like the insurance policy "fine print" in a Monty Python skit......."It very clearly states: No claim made by you will be paid by us."

Greggorios and Toto'sDad like this.
  9. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Almost exactly the same here. USAA from Dad's 30yrs in the USN.

I've been quite happy with them...although the homeowner's coverage for mandatory "Wind and Hail" here in SC is a separate division and for some reason they have to xfer you to the guy in the next cube for it...and pay separately. Would be nice to have it all in one payment.

10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Insurance companies, cable providers and storage facilities (among others) all want to get you lured in (with attractive rates) and then count on the fact that people are reluctant to change when the rates start "inching" up. I'm about to cancel a 10X10 storage unit that's gone from about $80 a month to $140 a month.....all in a little over three years. Yeah, they painted the place.....big WHOOP! :(

schmee likes this.
  11. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Try Farm Bureau.

985plowboy and JSMac like this.
  12. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Auto through Metromile. We don't drive as much as we used to and it's cut our auto insurance bill in half. We are no longer homeowners, but after checking all the major companies for renters insurance, found good coverage and a super nice price through Lemonade.

13. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

IMHO They are all crooks.

Obsessed and nojazzhere like this.
  14. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

California Casualty gave us the best value for cars and home insurance. We switch every so often depending on who has the best deal, but with a good reputation.

15. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

We have Liberty Mutual but IMO what’s more important than the insurance company is the agent. An agent who acts as a fiduciary will match insurance to your needs and act on your behalf if you need to make a claim.

16. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

switched from USAA to State Farm 25 years ago. I'm sure it is not the best deal. BUT, every time we have had a claim or issue, no muss no fuss, friendly, never any nonsense. So, we stay.

17. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

If you or a parent were in the military, USAA should be an option. Ask that first, if you call, though. They used to only work with officers, but I think they opened it up a few years ago. Good company in our experience (good rates, service).

Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. Treynor

Treynor Tele-Holic

A few other have mentioned, but USAA is my choice. I'm a US Army retiree who has benefited from their best prices and competitive service. In the 40 years I have been with them, I've checked competitor prices many times, and they always win. If you or a family member have served in the armed services, you are likely eligible.

Deeve and Toto'sDad like this.
  19. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

USAA.

While no insurance company is perfect, USAA is as close as one can get. Have been with them for close to 25 years now for insurance and loans.

Great bang for the buck, great service, no nonsense (sleaziness, shirking of responsibility, etc.)

I have actually compared rates between U.S.A.A. and REALLY CHEAP and REALLY CRAPPY insurance companies. U.S.A.A. blew the rinky-dink companies (that would screw you as a matter of course) out of the water in terms of rates, even while offering top level service and the above mentioned no-nonsense.

As for the guy above who said they started accepting enlisted service members a few years ago, it was actually 25 years ago.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    stormsedge likes this.
  20. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

Just go straight to the source and buy it from Satan.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.