Where to buy Body Blanks

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Flynman, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Flynman

Flynman Tele-Meister

I just finished my Warmoth tele build (pics soon to follow) and would like to make my next body from scratch. Where can I buy good quality blanks at a reasonable price? Looking for 1 piece Alder or Swamp Ash.

Thanks
    Keith

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  2. iansmitchell

iansmitchell Tele-Afflicted

1-piece swamp ash is rare and historically inaccurate.
    Anyway, stew-mac is a sure(albiet overpriced) option.
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_necks,_wood/Electric_guitar:_Bodies/Body_Blanks.html
    It's possible to find good blanks more cheaply on ebay, but I'd personally suggest calling around local wood suppliers. Especially with how the economy is, they're more willing now than ever to do small deals.

I'd also suggest getting some practice first. Poplar is the poor man's alder, sounds the same, weighs the same, similar grain, but looks a bit greener. Hell, yeah might like it enough for the final body. Available at Lowe's, Hope Depot, or your local lumberyard.

3. Flynman

Flynman Tele-Meister

That sounds like a good Idea going for cheaper wood. I have some decent wood working skills and a good collection of tools. Thinking of buying one of Ron Kirn's templates. Have a good router and necessary bits. Only thing I need now is a bench top drill press that won't break the bank!!

Thanks
    Keith

4. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

USACG sells blanks as well - maybe a little steep but there's no question about the quality. Go for it, man!

That build looks great, BTW! How about some details - pickups, etc.?

5. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I hope that I'm not breaking any rules here . If you are interested in something different for the final build , I may be willing to part with one piece of the cherry that I have . 1 piece slab sized . knowaireman@dejazzd.com . Rough cut only . The rest of the work would be up to you .

6. mrmorrison

mrmorrison Tele-Afflicted

I bought mine from a North Ridge Hardwoods in Washington. They were great to work with and had the ONE-PIECE alder blank to me in a few days. I would've gone with USACG, but Tommy didn't have any one-pieces in stock at the time. Ok, I know I'm a snob!

7. iansmitchell

iansmitchell Tele-Afflicted

Yeah. As you may know, pinecasters can be a ton of fun too, and depending on your area, pine should be stocked at the same place as poplar. Pine is lighter and softer than ash, sometimes the grain's similar. It's not identical, but it's certain great for a tele(leo's prototypes were pine). Unlike poplar or alder, it's possible to find pieces worth doing transparent colors on!

As for the drill press, Craigslist and pawnshops.

8. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

9. ramseybella

ramseybella Tele-Afflicted

Finding One Piece Ash is like finding Ammunition at Wal-Mart none to be found, I am building two projects at this time and the one piece Swamp Ash I am using was a poor beat up of all things scaffolding plank my friend had at his cabinet shop.
    After running it with the planer it revealed a beautiful grain pattern and some of the sweetest ringing pieces of blanks to be found and super light as well.
    I was thinking of selling the blackguard after I completed the build but looking now for Swamp Ash of the caliber we have I think it will be buried with me when I go.

This is my first build I should have done within the next month my Stratotele my friend is building another Blackguard out of the same material the grain is to die for.
    [​IMG]

10. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Carvin

11. Flynman

Flynman Tele-Meister

Thanks for the info!! The specs on the tele..It's a Warmoth Alder Hollow body with Maple top, Birdseye maple neck w/Brazilian Rosewood Fretboard. I Put a VanZandt humbucker and a Don Mare S-Tele neck pickup with 4 way switch, 2 volume & 1 tone control. It has a Gotoh bridge and schaller mini locking tuners. I finished it with color-tone waterbased dyes and 18 coates of waterbased laquer.

12. RnB

RnB Tele-Meister

GuitarMill has body blanks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.