Where to add a resistor to [Series/Split/Parallel] Mustang toggle switch? (Fralin PAF)

kerodean

TDPRI Member
Hey there. I'm trying to add a partial split to my Fralin PAF humbucker so in the split position it will have a 7k resistor giving the split position a liitte more power to match the neck single coil. I have a diagram from fralins site how to split with a push pull here
Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 10.10.53 am.png

and mine has 2 wires (red/green) and so I've got this diagram from my mustang 3 position on/on/on switch which I believe is correct for series/split/parallel although please do correct me if I'm wrong.
Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 9.51.19 am.png

Now I'm fairly sure the resistor goes somewhere in the middle but I'm not sure if its here
Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 1.27.53 pm.png

or here
Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 1.28.08 pm.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm really new to figuring out guitar wiring on my own.

Just for reference, this is the fralin pickup colours
4-Conductor-Lead-750x236.png

Moldy Oldy

Tele-Holic
Before worrying about the resistor we need to get your starting point right because it won’t make any noise on any position the way you have it. I did a quick Google search and was not able to find a diagram using the type of switch you’ve drawn. Seymour Duncan has a diagram for a conventional on-on-on switch though.

kerodean

TDPRI Member
Before worrying about the resistor we need to get your starting point right because it won’t make any noise on any position the way you have it. I did a quick Google search and was not able to find a diagram using the type of switch you’ve drawn. Seymour Duncan has a diagram for a conventional on-on-on switch though.
Hey thanks for the reply. Yes I know i have made it hard for myself using this switch as its a bit uncommon. But as I understand it, its like a DPDT 3 way on / on / on but the two middle lugs are usually soldered together. Heres a site showing a bit more detail about these switches and how they are able to perform the on/on/on function.

Heres a pic from that site showing the engaged lugs.
Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 12.10.40 am.png

Moldy Oldy

Tele-Holic
Ok, that helps but it’s still not quite right. Up position is series, middle is split, but in down position both wires of the white coil (wht & grn) are shorted together and also both wires of the black coil (rd & blk) are shorted together, so no output.

Moldy Oldy

Tele-Holic
I think this will get the switch working in all three positions, but someone check me. But I can’t see a way to add your resistor to only the split position without another switch. Sorry for the messy scribbles.

A0E26C30-97DE-43C9-B20E-FC6670B4FE58.jpeg

kerodean

TDPRI Member
Thats awesome thanks so much. Im actually waiting for the pickup to arrive so I wont get to experiment with wiring until then but I'll give it a go. I've drawn up the switch in the software as per your instructions here.
Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 10.01.27 am.png

I also corrected the output from the humbucker according to fralins site
4-Conductor-Lead-750x236.png

Asmith

Friend of Leo's
Alright I checked out fralins site about series/parallel (https://www.fralinpickups.com/2017/05/18/series-parallel-wiring-humbucker/) and decided to try reversing the switch to split then series parallel and putting a resistor on the 'split'. Also updated the switch graphic View attachment 978493
anyone able to confirm this'll work?
Middle position will have no sound since red and green are not connected.

In the up position you have a normal split coil configuration but the coil connected to red and black isnt connected to the output just ground.

Down works as parallel.

Also what are you trying to achieve with the resistor? Do you want the pickup in series but with the centre tap connected to ground via a 7k resistor?

kerodean

TDPRI Member
Middle position will have no sound since red and green are not connected.

In the up position you have a normal split coil configuration but the coil connected to red and black isnt connected to the output just ground.

Down works as parallel.

Also what are you trying to achieve with the resistor? Do you want the pickup in series but with the centre tap connected to ground via a 7k resistor?
Darn, I thought I was onto something haha. With the resistor I'm trying to achieve a 'less thin' split position sound. Since the humbucker is a lower output humbucker. Its explained a bit more here https://humbuckersoup.com/lindy-fralin-partial-tap-resistor/

kerodean

TDPRI Member
Alright heres another try and this time showing the whole circuit. From what I can see looking at other switches online there isnt a need for a common hot out on the mustang switch

build full wiring copy.jpg

Last edited:

Asmith

Friend of Leo's
Alright heres another try and this time showing the whole circuit. From what I can see looking at other switches online there isnt a need for a common hot out on the mustang switch

View attachment 978523
You are close but the 7k resistor is always connected to the tap and ground so your series position is also a partial split. Remove the resistor and connect the green wire to the vacant lug on the slide switch. That should get you a normal split. Then replace the ground wire on the top left lug with the resistor. I think that should do it.

kerodean

TDPRI Member
You are close but the 7k resistor is always connected to the tap and ground so your series position is also a partial split. Remove the resistor and connect the green wire to the vacant lug on the slide switch. That should get you a normal split. Then replace the ground wire on the top left lug with the resistor. I think that should do it.
Thanks so much! That makes a lot of sense. Is this right?
Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 5.55.57 pm.png