Where is the best value found in Wire ..Solder..sundries..etc

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by chazo64, Oct 25, 2021.

1. chazo64

chazo64 Tele-Meister

I would like to purchace some 22awg 20 awg mil spec pvc coat I have found some sources would you like to share . I purchace some stuff through antique electric just looking for some ideas. Solder I get through amazon. Here in the Chocktaw you have to get everything online . Finaly found good pine but it has been milled into nickle lap so I have to glue up my parts which is fine over 4.5" i like to glue up any how. I get tweed at antique also wow the shipping on the tweed kills .

2. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

clingin_on and chazo64 like this.
  3. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

I can assure you it's no different in the metro areas of FL.

Best we have in Orlando is a surplus store, fun to visit but naturally not a practical source of supplies.

tubesandmore.com is 5 days to FL, free shipping if you spend over $95 or whatever it is.

tubedepot.com out of Memphis is 2-3 days USPS cheap shipping, I use them a lot for small orders

mojotone.com has great selection of tolex and other cabinet supplies, out of NC I believe their free shipping is at $150

Mouser is a quick 2 days from Texas at $7.99 for 2-day shipping service.

And then of course there is Amazon.com

guitar_paul1 and chazo64 like this.
  4. corliss1

corliss1 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

dan40, Drew617, James Knox and 2 others like this.
  5. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

I believe this is Weico wire, you can also get it here:
    https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/wire-weico-22awg-stranded-top-coat-pre-tinned-600v-50-feet

and I got 1000ft spool direct from Weico here (with shipping it's about 12 cents/foot):
    https://www.weicowire.com/ul1015-mtw-machine-tool-wire-csa-tew-600v-105c-pvc-hookup-wire.html

And if you have money to set on fire I just found this new stuff:
    https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/wire-gavitt-cloth-22awg-stranded-top-coat-pre-tinned

James Knox, chazo64 and corliss1 like this.
  6. chazo64

chazo64 Tele-Meister

Man thanks to all this is such a great site filled with great folks always willing to share what they know ,and help out. I hope I can give back in time what I have gained from this site.

GorgeousTones and Peegoo like this.
  7. Peegoo

Peegoo Doctor of Teleocity

The best wire source for guitar circuits is the free stuff.

Old computer cables are perfect for this. Serial-bus/parallel cables are fantastic. IEEE 488s (now generally replaced by USB) are really great because they contain about a thousand 26 AWG wires and four shielded coaxial lines, in all colors of the rainbow.

Okay, I exaggerate a little..there are 24 wires in twisted pairs, and the four shielded wires are great for wiring output jacks and extending pickup leads.

You don't need gigantic electrical cables in a guitar. Consider the size of the signal-carrying wire in a pickup--and it all becomes clear.

Everybody has some old/dusty computer cables in a box. Cut off the terminal connectors and strip off the outer jacket ("Don't cut'cher'self now!").

You'll have enough wire to do 100 guitars. I am not exaggerating.

And you're upcycling, which is good for the planet.

[​IMG]

chazo64 and Drew617 like this.
  8. GorgeousTones

GorgeousTones Tele-Meister

Well for pretty much anything that’s more of a specialized product.. Price will depend on where you’re living and then quantity of a given product. This is especially true of electronics suppliers. Take Mouser for example it’s actually cheaper to buy 50 jfets than 10 (if you’re unfamiliar with mouser I recommend taking a look, the inventory is massive and can be overwhelming but they have everything)..

*For all things soldering Kimco Distribution is the best, both in value and inventory. I buy Kester 63/37 leaded 44 core by the roll (a roll = 1 pound) for about 20$. I do a LOT of soldering and these last me forever.

*22AWG PVC wire is about as commonplace as it gets in terms of wire. I’m not sure what you’re planning to use it for, but there’s VERY high quality silver tinned Aerospace grade hookup wire in 16awg to around 24awg sold by the foot and by the roll at TubeDepot for good prices.

*What I know best is tools and components for smaller sized circuits & electronics. So take this with a grain of salt; As far as head/speaker tolex and wood glues my best bet would be Mojotone, AE Supply, The guy who runs the store affiliated with the diy amp building blogs ie; sewatt. StewMac is a possibility but they’re generally damn expensive so..

**Edit; The amp forum store I mentioned is called hoffmanamps.com I just remembered it. :D That’s a fantastic resource if you’re into DIY tube amplifier building! Good luck..

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  9. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Not sure about the wire and solder, but I get really good sundries at the Twisty Cone up the street.

chazo64 likes this.
  10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Anchor Marine stranded tinned wire is great. Not sure how readily it comes down to 22 ga though.

chazo64 likes this.
  11. GorgeousTones

GorgeousTones Tele-Meister

Ehhh… I’d be careful with the max temp +/- C as well as voltages if you’re planning to use old laptop cable for tube amplifier power supplies, heater wiring, Speaker hookups etc.. If you’re rewiring the electronics cavity in an electric guitar then you can use practically anything.. Same goes for caps and resistors in guitars as well

chazo64 likes this.
  12. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I generally buy wire and all sorts of other guitar accessories and parts from Toneshapers.com. It is a small business and I do what I can to send business their way. The Toneshaper is an innovative product and I would like to see them survive these challenging times.

https://toneshapers.com/catalog/category/view/id/129

Another one is Bitter Root guitars. I generally buy bone nuts from them, but they also sell wire as well as other parts and accessories.

https://www.bitterrootguitars.com/category-s/2345.htm

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    chazo64 likes this.
  13. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm also a cable scrapper. You can often get armfuls of cables at hamfests and flea markets for little or nothing. Usually the cables are marked on the jacket as to the number of conductors and wire sizes.

chazo64 likes this.
  14. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

Tayda. Great for resistors and hookup wire, and pedal parts too if you are into building those.

Their hookup wire is suitable for tube amps, but not mil spec and only rated to 300v as I recall. It's not going to fail at amp voltage and current but if you need 600v mil spec to sleep at night, you'll have to look elsewhere.

chazo64 likes this.
  15. Peegoo

Peegoo Doctor of Teleocity

That's 'zackly why I was careful to include "for guitar circuits," because it's small wire :cool:

chazo64 likes this.
  16. fraser

fraser Tele-Afflicted

thats what i do- i like the wire looms that come attached to a desktop pc's power supply.

i actually used to carry wire cutters on my night time walks,
    And if i found a pc out for the trash id snip the looms off.
    After one summer i had a huge plastic bin full of the wire.
    A lifetime supply.

i use it for effects builds, guitarwork, wherever its needed.

in similar trash robbing i acquired a bunch of larger and smaller gauges, as well as about 12 foot of shielded wire perfect for guitar signal wires.

pelayostyle and chazo64 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.