Where is everyone? Has anyone else noticed the slowness

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
But very little.
I noticed a drop off of posting that seems to have coincided with the “upgrade”. I’ve been tied up with things I’ve got to do/need to do/don’t want to do but like to check in when I can. I may have nothing to say, even if I add a comment
i noticed that as well..i find it a little more difficult to navigate not much though..and some stuff appears to be missing although i don't recall specifically what except it was easier to find people before?

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
the new site "navigates" differently. I used to start at the bottom of the list and work my way up because the bottom of the list drops off first. there would be at least 3 or 4 threads of interest. the current thread list was always right there to choose from at any page of whatever thread you were on. it was more compact and more convenient

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
Oh Gawd - is this forum becoming like "Seinfeld," a forum about NOTHING?

Gotta admit, I'm pretty fed up with discussions of tonewoods, nitro vs. poly, various styles of picks, string gages, and where tone comes from.
We all know it resides inside your stompboxes. Right there next to the corroding 9 Volt.

How about a thread on straps? "Show us your favorites," or some such? It's a quasi-lame topic, but could elicit pix and like rectums and opinions, everybody has a favorite ...

WHAT HAVE WE BECOME? And where's my firkin' coffee??? 😧
haha..at least there are a few laughs now and again..so i wonder whats on tv?

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
Cold, snow, power outages, go figure something using up my spare time 🤔
Down here it's heat, sun, water shortages and bush fire season, so that's using up a lot of my time and energy. And I still have to work (although these days almost entirely from the little shed at the bottom of the garden)

I don't find the new layout too bad, TBH. But yeah, I'm also finding it harder to find interesting threads these days.

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Maybe a little. Football may be the issue.
When the Weber discussion board changed significantly years ago it literally died. But this change ain't much. Don't think it's that.
Football is a whopping 2 days a week at this point. And if anything, teams being eliminated should have many people looking for something besides football to fill their time.
I highly doubt that has much to do with it at all.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Football is a whopping 2 days a week at this point. I highly doubt that has much to do with it at all.
Yet this weekend things were very slow here. If posts are not made, people have nothing to comment on. It all adds up. Just a guess.

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi again.

I think this whole thing is interesting, as it *possibly* points to a couple of things.

One being how small things can tip you up. Sometimes a small and seemingly insignificant change can have a big flow on impact for users, operators, customers, etc. One that might not be predictable and / or hard to see beforehand or even recognise when it’s happening.* At first I was thinking, ‘a couple of extra clicks, how first world is that?’ but then I realised it could be more that that, some deeper inconvenience that really throws a spanner in, a subtle one, but a spanner nonetheless.

Another is how success can appear rock solid, but actually be on a knife edge. I’m thinking of successful businesses here, like say, a restaurant, that ‘expand’ by moving locations, and then wither. No one realised, it was not the restaurant (or whatever), but rather, it was actually the location that was the key factor. Kinda similar / related to the above, but I’m focusing here on how apparent success might be misleading.

Pax/
Dean
* or, it is on occasion obvious to a few very insightful individuals and used to advantage - like that guy who, ages ago, realised people where shy about waiters knowing they were ordering a second hamburger and fries, so got rid of the wait staff and stuck in counters at McDonalds, resulting in a massive increase in sales

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I still struggle with the 'upgrade'. The new posts listing is different, yeah. And I miss the little site navigator that you could pop up anywhere by clicking an icon thingie in the upper right (don't look, it's gone now).

But mostly I struggle with the colors and lack of contrast. I've never seen a good UI that didn't have a plain white text edit area. Here we got Antigua, which is pretty close to the newly pukified TDPRI yellow. In what universe is that a good idea?

Then to top it off, remove the borders around the edit toolbox, and the post-in-progress blends even more with the rest of the page.

There have been at least half a dozen times THIS WEEK that I've crafted a post, and then left the page before submitting it. I'll be in the middle of an edit, get sidetracked, and when I look back, it appears that it's already been posted. Cool. Close the browser. Oops.

That might cause some slow traffic, if a bunch of folks aren't actually posting when they think they are.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
The only thing musical going on in my life right now is trying to learn to play my new guitarrón, and I have brought that topic up a few times already. Haven’t mentally “reset” enough from the holidays for the guitar and bass inspiration to kick back in yet, seems like.

But I have a guitarrón and a Hal Leonard book, so...

scrapyardblue

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I could be wrong but it seems to have made it the same platform as The Gear Page. This place looks more like TGP than ever now, other than the color.
It's called progress and you will like it or you will be visited. I'm trying to like it as I don't want to be the guy that watches Wait Until Dark at 3am or whatever that poster said.

Hey, why can't I do Italics?

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Hi again.

I think this whole thing is interesting, as it *possibly* points to a couple of things.

One being how small things can tip you up. Sometimes a small and seemingly insignificant change can have a big flow on impact for users, operators, customers, etc. One that might not be predictable and / or hard to see beforehand or even recognise when it’s happening.* At first I was thinking, ‘a couple of extra clicks, how first world is that?’ but then I realised it could be more that that, some deeper inconvenience that really throws a spanner in, a subtle one, but a spanner nonetheless.

Another is how success can appear rock solid, but actually be on a knife edge. I’m thinking of successful businesses here, like say, a restaurant, that ‘expand’ by moving locations, and then wither. No one realised, it was not the restaurant (or whatever), but rather, it was actually the location that was the key factor. Kinda similar / related to the above, but I’m focusing here on how apparent success might be misleading.

Pax/
Dean
* or, it is on occasion obvious to a few very insightful individuals and used to advantage - like that guy who, ages ago, realised people where shy about waiters knowing they were ordering a second hamburger and fries, so got rid of the wait staff and stuck in counters at McDonalds, resulting in a massive increase in sales
Remember New Coke?

Mouth

Tele-Afflicted
They just can't figure out how to post on the new software.

They think they're posting and are wondering why nobody is responding to them.