Where in the fx chain would you put a tc sub'n'up octave pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Buzzgrowl, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Where in my fx chain would you put a TC Electronic sub'n'up octave pedal? The lineup of my pedals/fx is:

Polytune > Morley BH2 > Boss CS2 > TC Mojomojo > RAT > Phase90 > Ibanez Bi Mode Chorus > TC Alter Ego > Strymon Flynt > Ditto looper.

Grateful for any advice!

Cheers - Buzzgrowl

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The octave needs to be first or second (after a tuner, wah or envelope filter is OK ) or it will not trigger properly. absolutely MUST be before the compressor!!!!

In your case I'd place it before the wah. You can try it directly after, but IMO it should be more accurate if it's first in the "effects" chain. Octave and envelope filter/auto wahs are very sensitive to pick attack and need to always be the first or second effects - in SOME cases a wah can go in front, but not very many. But the wah *should* be the next pedal in the chain.

Buzzgrowl likes this.
  3. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

I agree with Silverface. I have my octaver first in line after guitar. I tried it after my wah pedal, but the tracking was horrible when the wah was activated, lots of glitches and the tone cutting off. Octavers need a guitar signal as pure as possible.

Buzzgrowl likes this.
  4. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Will do that, first after the tuner! many thanks! Will let you know how it went.

Cheers, - Buzzgrowl

5. thechad

thechad Tele-Meister

another thing to consider is the sound you get from the octave pedal before vs. after a distortion pedal. I have mine in the chain before the distortion because then if I turn on both I get a distorted octave sound. If I put the octave pedal after the distortion, it gets a synth type vibe to it. Not what I am after but some people might.
    When I first introduced my octave pedal (ehx pitchfork) I had it right before my distortion pedal and after a few other pedals. It was really noisey so I moved it near the front of the chain (after wah and tuner pedal) and the noise diminished significantly.

Sometimes you might have to pick the lesser evil depending what you want

6. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

20180103_021439_HDR_Film2.jpg My T-Rex Quint octave pedal is placed right after the tuner. It works just fine there.

7. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Follow-up... the TC Sub'n'up (mini) worked fine as the first pedal. Thanks to all of you for the advice!
    Cheers - Buzzgrowl

black_doug likes this.
  8. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

It depends on how it operates. An analog octave pedal needs a clean signal to track properly. A digital octave pedal (HOG, POG, etc) samples the incoming signal. This means that the signal doesn't need to be clean coming into the pedal and gives you more flexibility in the signal chain.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.