Where does your dog hide when the fireworks start?

BryMelvin

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Yeah, when I was a kid, my dog escaped and tried to eat a live ground flower. He wasn't having any of it. Ha.
Well where and how I live makes a difference. Usually the sound of gunfire/fireworks has me responding to a problem at my kids' house (100 meters away), poachers on our property, hunters shooting too close to our houses or borderpatrol/cartel problem on our land. So that sound = big problem on most days.

SuprHtr

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Long ago, as evidenced by the AOL screen on the laptop. She never got used to fireworks or thunderstorms.
July 4th as usual.JPG

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
Well where and how I live makes a difference. Usually the sound of gunfire/fireworks has me responding to a problem at my kids' house (100 meters away), poachers on our property, hunters shooting too close to our houses or borderpatrol/cartel problem on our land. So that sound = big problem on most days.
Where I live now, they’re highly regulated. In 2017 a couple of kids decided it was a good idea to toss M80s into a dry canyon, and ended up causing the Eagle Creek fire. Destroyed over 50,000 acres. Multiple homes burned. Bend (south of where I am) even banned them outright because of past fires and current dry conditions. I’m not for outright banning of things, but regulations in these areas are more then appropriate, since apparently we can’t rely on the common sense of some folk.

BryMelvin

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
luckily
Where I live now, they’re highly regulated. In 2017 a couple of kids decided it was a good idea to toss M80s into a dry canyon, and ended up causing the Eagle Creek fire. Destroyed over 50,000 acres. Multiple homes burned. Bend (south of where I am) even banned them outright because of past fires and current dry conditions. I’m not for outright banning of things, but regulations in these areas are more then appropriate, since apparently we can’t rely on the common sense of some folk.
Luck has it that July 4th falls in Monsoon season here. There however is no real regulation although lately even discharging a firearm unnecessarily has been illegal (and campfires) on federal/blm land. I've had two wildfires within sight of our land so far this year caused by migrants. There is no "police" presence here to speak of except Border Patrol.

SuprHtr

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Not for outright banning, but regulations in these areas are more then appropriate, since apparently we can’t rely on the common sense of some folk.
Common sense and fireworks seldom accompany each other. "Hey, y'all' watch this!" People died in a fireworks store in Ohio a while back when some genius thought it would be funny to light a pack of firecrackers inside.

But a good professional display is one of my favorite forms of entertainment. When I lived in Lancaster, OH, I saw incredible shows every year. Videos can't begin to capture the enormity of the finale.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
Common sense and fireworks seldom accompany each other. "Hey, y'all' watch this!" People died in a fireworks store in Ohio a while back when some genius thought it would be funny to light a pack of firecrackers inside.

But a good professional display is one of my favorite forms of entertainment. When I lived in Lancaster, OH, I saw incredible shows every year. Videos can't begin to capture the enormity of the finale.

Hood River puts on a good show. It’s fun watching while sitting on the Gorge. Minus the influx of tourists. Honestly though, I can take it or leave it. Been there done that, etc

Mouth

Tele-Afflicted

Is that the 1996 fire? Where the guy threw a cigarette on a shelf?

"Hall repeatedly was found incompetent to stand trial for aggravated arson and involuntary manslaughter. He had suffered a traumatic brain injury years before the fire."

SuprHtr

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Is that the 1996 fire? Where the guy threw a cigarette on a shelf?

"Hall repeatedly was found incompetent to stand trial for aggravated arson and involuntary manslaughter. He had suffered a traumatic brain injury years before the fire."
The only detail I recall was that the guy was found mentally deficient, so it's probably the same incident.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
My closest neighbor here in the Mountains is a little over a quarter mile away. He's an excellent gunsmith and target shooter contestant. So, we hear small arms fire (and some not very small arms fire) on a regular basis. And so when kids way over across the holler start setting off the fireworks with the big report, my current pup is conditioned to it. And he's a "countrybug" if there ever was. I wouldn't bring him to a celebration, but he doesn't suffer during July 4 like my pup Daisy once did.

Spox

Tele-Meister
Different country but re fireworks, I have family who keep horses and small livestock with the horses in a polytunnel. They have neighbours who are real scumbags who light fires downwind from the polytunnel and aim fireworks at it. They have the neighbour on video trying to run them over with his flatbed and he threatened them with a handgun but appears to be teflon.

Happy 4th, everyone.

Gnometowner

Tele-Meister
Gus has a Thundershirt, I put it on him, gave him a 75lb dog dose of CBD and put him in his crate in my bedroom and turned up the stereo playing the ZZ Top 6pack CD set. He did good. Boomer Lake park is across the street from our house, city of Stillwater does a big show. After the opening salvo, he got quiet.
20220507_194921.jpg

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
This was one of Lily's preferred spots when the fireworks were out to get her. Also one of my Grandmother's(a few years after avatar was taken) favorite spots.
EDIT: Date on the camera is way off. I never got Lily 'til 2010 so pic from about 2015.

Attachments

• Nanny and Lily.jpg
    Nanny and Lily.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 11

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
Elmer Fudd hates wabbits and I hates poachers!

Fredhead59

TDPRI Member
One doesn't get bothered by the noise. She sleeps thru it. One or both of the other two is either next to me and/or on my lap. Same scenario with my wife.