Where Does the Tele Get It's Twang?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by adam79, Aug 15, 2019.

1. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted

I think it's the headstock shape

2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Twangsylvania

There’s a twang mine there that Fender bought years ago.

From what I understand, it’s immense and there’s a couple thousand year supply of twang there.

Little known fact, it’s in the same area where Gibson mines glue. Obviously for their glued-in necks but also for their neck pickup tone.

Glue-y . Warren Hanes has run that mine for years...

3. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Actually, no, we don't need to agree on twang, nor are we likely to.

Evabody must conduct their own search and rescue mission for twang.

I don't wish to sound like anyone in particular; I sound like me. I play the telecaster, not the other way round.

If you wish to design and construct a twang-meter, well that's on you.

Now get off my lawn. Might be some snake out there and I don't like watching folks get snake-bit.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

A TWANG-O-METER!.......now that's something I'd like to see! ;)

Alamo, Chunkocaster and teletimetx like this.
  5. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

Tonewood. If I told you I'd have to kill you. :)

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. doc w

doc w Tele-Afflicted

Well, I couldn't agree more, except to add that I am on a noble quest for real twang, authentic twang, genyoouwine twang, whereas it seems you will settle for any half-baked imitation.

You will happy to know (or perhaps not) that the Twang-O-Meter is now in the stage of patent verification. All early models (soon to come out of the shop) will be labelled "PAF" and eventually these ones will be very expensive. It is very likely that the twang you have now will register extremely low in TU (twang units). But forge ahead anyway. Ya never know, you could get lucky!

7. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

far be it from me to stand in the way of any one's noble quest.

I can only report that say, take some well-qualified telecaster players, let's say brent mason or albert lee or Redd the V., playing the same song, let's say Haggard's Working Man Blues, all totally twang-tastic, at least IMHO, but between the three, the twang might not be completely identical, or even say, maybe six, seven years later, they play the same song and again, totally twang-tastic, but not necessarily identical sounding twang. Either from one another or from the same player, but some years later.

do I claim that I could identify who was who while blindfolded? No way, but nonetheless the sonics are different.

Make the same comparison for other genres rich in twang. Probably same thing.

Change some strings, change the twang. Many people claim to hear the difference. For the sake of the discussion, I'll claim neutrality.

Much in the same way, that say, you might someday plug yerself into a BFDR and play some great twanginess, and then, on the same day, same song, plug instead into a SFDR, and there's some wonderful twanginess goin' on, yet again, not identical.

huh.

Of course, this is all just my opinion. Could be wrong.

Maybe your twang-o-meter can sort that all out for us and we'll be enlightened. Or endarkened, perhaps, relative to your discovery of true twang. I guess my take is that if you need a meter to tell you what twang is, your noble quest might just take a little longer.

I may indeed settle for half-baked imitations. If that is indeed your opinion, I can only wonder at how you might have formulated it.

I see it's raining outside my window and it looks like I might get wet walking home from work.

JL_LI likes this.
  8. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Once again, I’ll be the odd man out. Twang lives on a sliding scale. Bridge pickup with a celluloid pick and my Telecaster has it in spades. Roll off the tone and play the neck pickup finger style and the tone is jazzy to folksy. Both pickups and the tone can be twangy or not. But twang isn’t the sole province of single coils. I have it from my SG bridge pickup with a flat pick. A little warmer than my Tele but twangy nonetheless. My Strat can twang with pure nickel strings and that makes no sense at all except that the warmer strings get rid of the ice pick and let the twang shine through. I can’t get twang from my Gretsch with its mud switch so I do other things with it. So if twang isn’t the sole province of Telecasters or single coil pickups, where does it come from? I’m thinking it’s something found and developed through musicianship. That sliding scale is influenced by the musician and the gear but not everyone who picks up a Telecaster has it. Just my opinion. I’ve enjoyed reading the perspectives of other posters.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Telecaster88 likes this.
  9. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Mainly the bridge pickup, IME/IMO. They were relatively hot pickups compared to Strat pickups, so they have more meat to 'em...but still not as meaty as a P90, being that the Fender pickup was less sensitive to the strings. So they sit at a nice tonal middle ground between Strat and P90 bridge pickup tones. More meaty midrange and low end than a Strat, but not so meaty that the treble response starts getting smoothed over, like with many P90s. The other thing, which is probably even more important IMO, is the musical styles of the time that adopted, and became associated with, the Tele. Most guitars have little trouble creating twang IME...but the Tele is the one that has the reputation for it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    2 Headed Goat likes this.
  10. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Fresh strings.

Clifton C and ndcaster like this.
  11. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Why assume that it is one thing? In my analysis, the fast, loud attack, quick dropoff, and lingering sustain that constitute "twang" are influenced by everything mentioned, including the bolted neck. All those factors add up. And all of them need not be present because no single one, alone, is critical.

12. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I think the scientifically accepted unit for twang should be based on Johnny Cash's One Piece At A Time

Can we at least all agree on that?

13. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's

How about some music theory, does that help?

14. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Meister

It's all in the fingers.

EsquireOK likes this.
  15. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted

I haven’t made one of those, but I am currently working on a maple cap body with pearly gates clones. Look up Teles with humbuckers on youtube. Sounds just like a tele but with a humbucker, same twang. I’m curious about that tele twang also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Nope, your all wrong! Wal-Mart...

17. doc w

doc w Tele-Afflicted

I thought it would be interesting to hear what "twang" meant to a variety of people, since the term is used to describe a range of sounds. That's all. There is no quintessential twang.

I also think you need to work on your sense of humour.

18. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Twang is located under the top right pickguard screw hole. Don't overtighten or you'll kill it.

19. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Bakersfield. Duh.

Fiesta Red and Mouth like this.
  20. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Also Fender did an American Tele with TOM and stoptail, two HB and I think hog neck and body with maple cap.

I can’t recall the name but someone will. Track down some vids and decide if they produce your definition of “twang”.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.