1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Where do you put your phaser?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by TelZilla, Nov 3, 2019.

1. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Seems to be the way it is with Phaser/Flanger effects for me too. I can use mine to do fairly convincing covers where that sound is key but for original stuff it needs to fit. I’ve got one original where my Phase 90 fits quite nicely. It’s a really funky rhythm and with a really slow speed it works really nicely.

I’ve got to see how mine sounds between overdrive/distortion and the amp. I’ve always had mine before the dirt pedals.

2. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I think maybe this has been a rare use cause if you set up the DMM to be a straight chorus or vibrato you can't turn on a delay sound mid song.. cause setting it up as a true chorus/vibrator involves turning the delay to minimum.

But it seems like EHX always advertised it as capable of this. It's easy to do, it just has it's own sound, it's not the same as a dedicated chorus because the minimum delay time on a DMM is not as short as what an actual chorus/flanger/whatever pedal is set at.

It works.. just I can see it being a pain if you were in a band and you were going back and forth between wanting to use delay and wanting to use it as a chorus with minimal delay, etc.. you'd be having to bend over and reset it it between song. So I'd imagine you'd end up with a second delay or a dedicated chorus.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  3. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Ya I vaguely recall trying it out when I first got the pedal. I love that pedal so much (that it justifies hogging space on my board), but that's one thing I didn't figure out.

Using it as a "delay" pedal, with a bit of chorus and the blend low (around 9 oclock), I always think to myself that I should step on it for *every* solo or ambient part. It's just a perfect pedal in many ways. Only delay pedal I've heard that imo gives it a run is the big pink maxon.

beninma likes this.
  4. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Beat me to it.

5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

on stun.

Oh wait, 50 responses already saying the same. Like "Date my Blonde.." posts.

39martind18 likes this.
  6. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My little computer speakers do not do this justice. Needs a set of Radio Shack Mach II speaker’s and a pair of 50 watt mono blocks to get that 1979 vibe.

7. BorderRadio

This is how to set your phaser.

awasson likes this.
  8. sswoverl

sswoverl TDPRI Member

I've tried it everywhere, but my current setup for the Phase 90 is before dirt. It follow a tuner and a LPB that I only engage with single coil guitars.

9. Pajama

Pajama Tele-Meister

Sometimes after compression and before dirt and sometimes after dirt. I have used it both ways and like to switch it up.

10. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

After the compressor and before any overdrive. All of which are before my volume pedal. One of the criticisms of the PH3 is that there is a volume drop when it is engaged. By putting it before the volume pedal it allows me to give the volume pedal a little more gas as it were when I turn the PH3 on.

awasson likes this.
  11. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

Kudos to all who make phasers sound good.
    Mine sounds best placed on the shelf with all the other pedals I need to move along.

12. j5jarod777

j5jarod777 Tele-Meister

Phase 95 user
    Script 45 setting, run before overdrives

13. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

On my belt next to my communicator, so the Klingons can't get the drop on me while I ask Scotty to beam me up if things get hairy.

14. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

I like it at the end of the chain. Can tell it's on. Clean to mild od in. I don't like them with lots of reverb if any. You can get sounds with them before dirt and delays too. You can. I ain't gonna

Edit: ok, I tried before dirt. Then I remembered - I moved my tremelo to the end and like it there. But it also has a phaser-sounding mode. That sounds better before dirt. My 'real phaser' too. :)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  15. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

Where does Billy put his? Tasty.

BorderRadio likes this.
  16. BorderRadio

Dunno about Billy, probably in his ADA/Mesa rack, but James put his Small Stone right on his guitar :)

A910F1C6-C682-4639-89CD-89421C22F2EA.jpeg

awasson likes this.
  17. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

after everything but delay, tuner, and final boost.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.