1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Where do you put your phaser?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by TelZilla, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Interesting. I don't think I could be EVH in 10 lifetimes though. :D

awasson and Bluego1 like this.
  2. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Before dirt.

3. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Holic

Why? Is what you play that much better than the tracks by Van Halen, Pink Floyd, Smashing Pumpkins, The Rolling Stones, and many more that have used a phaser pedal?

awasson likes this.
  4. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

In its holster, on my belt, next to my communicator, set on stun!

stevemc, omahaaudio, soul-o and 2 others like this.
  5. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

after most of your dirt, so you push it harder.

6. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

modulation is great. why not use it in 2019?

7. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

Where exactly were the Stones using a Phaser?

Keith himself in his autobiography said that the last time he used as effect pedal was on Beast of Burden, and I believe that was a flanger, if memory serves. He claimed to be not particularly fond of effects in general.

I’m not either.

I’m currently using a Pure Sky overdrive into a 6G2. That’s it.

I have a larger board, but it only contains the aforementioned OD, a modded Rat2, a TC Flashback delay (x3), Holy Grail Reverb, Morley fuzz wah, EQ and tuner. No chorus. No flanger, no phaser.

Call me crazy, but I get off on the sound of amplified guitar. Maybe a little crispy at times, but still the guitar rings true. Some of those other effects sound particularly dated.

AndyPanda likes this.
  8. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I’ve always thought and been recommended to put the Phaser first in the chain before distortion so that’s where I’ve got mine. I don’t use it a lot. It seems some prefer to push it with overdrive.

Does anyone know where David Gilmore has his or Billy Corgan?

I think it would be really useful to be able to have a loop or mix where you could control how much of the signal is dry and how much of the phaser gets mixed in.

9. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Actually I am a Stones fan, I know that answer

That's not the point, mate. What you are doing is called "False dilema Falacy". I can Like or nor to like Phaser but that, doesn't makes my music better or worse...

In the same argumentation, using a phaser doesn't makes any music better than other

Is just a matter of taste, I just don't like it :cool:

stormsedge, stevemc and AndyPanda like this.
  10. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

in the loop... if you going to have it, flaunt it!

11. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

This^^^ is proper phaser discipline.

[​IMG]

Lies&Distortion, stevemc and dlew919 like this.
  12. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

You’re right, apparently. Looks like it was a phaser on Beast of Burden too, as well as Shattered. My favorite and least favorite Stones songs, respectively. Go figure.

13. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Holic

Until someone hears your music it's hard to say whether a phaser, or any other form of modulation, would be a good addition. Keep searching for more songs that use a phaser, there are a lot of them --by a lot to great artists, and you'll get a better idea of what they bring to a guitarist's tone. You can have the last word. I made all the points that I care to make on this topic.

14. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure if it's Mick Taylor or Keith,
    but from It's Only Rock and Roll LP
    it's on "Time Waits For No One", " Fingerprint File" ( a badass song!) and another slow ballad

Years ago, I used a modded MXR Phase 90, and things always sounded best with Phaser first (before OD) but went back ( after a very short honeymoon) to a ( for me) the more natural ' organic' ( get it?) sound of a Boss Chorus set to a Leslie sound ( just a better fit for music I play)
    The Phaser sounded fine, just the wrong sound . The Leslie/Chorus OTOH sounds best after OD ( which is always ON)

15. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

I am a quite basic man, Tele, Bassman and two Tubescreamers, that's all I need

stormsedge likes this.
  16. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

One word: Shadoobie.

Seriously, it's all over the place on Only RnR and, especially, Some Girls. Frankly, Some Girls sounds kinda like they turned it on and forgot to turn it off. And that's such a great record.

I don't get why people argue about this stuff. It's a big old world, let your freak flag fly.

As ever TDPRI speaks with many voices: Use your Paser first, before dirt, after dirt, in the FX loop, etc. I would've been disapointed with anything less.

17. Axegrinder77

The whole argument about whether or not phaser is "good" is ridiculous. Without getting sucked into it, i'll just point out that as an artist, it's not bad to have additional colours or hues if you will. You don't have to go out and buy one. If you do, you don't have to have it on. But, you have the option. Personally, I really like modulation - in moderation and in the right context. If you don't then fine. But criticizing one's use of modulation is like criticizing their note selection... depends on context, and hardly necessary.

Tim T, Alamo, cyclopean and 4 others like this.
  18. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I have been putting it on and taking it off and putting it back on, so "in the trash can" would actually be a sensible option for me too.

I think it's always been:

Compressor -> OD -> Distortion -> Phaser.

But I have a 2-channel amp, I can leave it where it is and have the phaser before or after the distortion based on which channel I'm playing.

I find it's a very finicky sound... if I was just trying to use it jamming/noodling it usually sounds bad. But if I was to to play a famous song that used it then it works.. in other words if you're going to use it you have to write something very carefully that takes good advantage of it.

I like modulation quite a bit. I have a lot of options, some are way easier IMO than others.

Right now I have the following on my board:
    - chorus/vibrato - (DMM)
    - Opto/Bias/Harmonic Trem (Fender Tre-Verb)
    - Phaser (Phase 95)

IMO:
    Chorus through the DMM - pretty easy to get a good sound
    Vibrato through the DMM - much harder
    Opto or Bias Trem - very easy to get a bunch of good sounds at high/low depth or rate
    Harmonic Trem - much harder, easy to make stuff sound thin
    Phaser - Hard unless I'm selecting a low depth + low speed option

I think we're really super spoiled and ADD about FX these days. Some of these I think you really need to play/practice/write with them for an extended period of time to figure them out. Guys playing 30,40,50 years ago with some of these FX as they were invented didn't have so many options so they probably played with the new thing super extensively and figured out on a deep level how to make that Effect work. This has been most clear to me personally with Fuzz/Distortion.. if I keep playing the same pedal a long time I start getting way better at using it. I have a Big Muff.. I have generally thought it wasn't successful at getting some of the sounds I thought I'd get out of it.. but after playing with it a year+ I started to get those sounds.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    cyclopean and Axegrinder77 like this.
  19. Axegrinder77

I have a DMM on my board. Never tried it for "just" chorus! I will. I added a Mooer ensemble chorus which is tiny and gets the job done.

I find with my phaser it works best not trying to be subtle with it. Even though I have it before dirt (sounds better to me), I generally just crank up the speed and use it as an obvious effect and try not to overdo it. Always good to remember that even if the tone isn't the greatest, your audience don't care about tone as much as you do. They want you to say something interesting with your instrument, not bore them with beautiful tone. This is a lesson I've learned from covering john frusciante and the chilis. Sometimes his modulation is downright silly sounding. It usually works though. Then there's Gilmour, who accomplished both interesting AND beautiful sounds using modulations.

awasson likes this.
  20. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Afflicted

i have a boss ph3.if i use it it goes before distortion.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.