Where do you keep your acoustic?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by CajunJ, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Case with humidi-pacs in a bedroom with a humidifier during the dry months. I love looking at guitars but don't want the tears or regrets that come when me, someone else or a dog makes a wrong move.

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

All mine are in hard cases, with a couple of exceptions: the home builds sometimes only get a soft case.

I do have stands, and keep the 'current players' out for easy access. I used to rotate frequently, and all guitars would be back in the cases before (their LOL) bedtime. But in the last year or so, I rotate much less often, and play a particular guitar or three for a month or more. They stay on the stands, which I don't really like, because they attract dust. (Go ahead, laugh).

Oh, to the point, my acoustics are no different from the solid and hollow electrics. I'm pretty well humidified in the winter. If I notice things generally feeling dry (I can feel it in hands and face first), then in the (humidified) case they go.

3. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I keep mine in the attic - no case.

kidding! In the case for sure. Standing when in the closet (I keep the door wide open in that closet) or Standing on the side when I’m playing it a lot. Climate controlled room of course. I’m an electric guy most of the time, but I believe in taking special care of my acoustic investment. I’ve been doing it this way for decades, not just years, no issues.

CajunJ likes this.
  4. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

We have a whole house humidifier, I leave my acoustics out.

DrPepper likes this.
  5. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

near me, either in the case when I wont be playing it that day (rarely, I play every morning while I'm waiting on coffee), or in a stand tuned and ready to go... Tuner and capo are in the case unless needed.

6. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Never in a case unless traveling, always on a stand ready to play- mine is a under $1,000 Martin. I find myself picking it up and strumming even for a few minutes this way.

DrPepper likes this.
  7. Doctor Fauxcaster

Doctor Fauxcaster TDPRI Member

In the guitar store- don't own one ;).

Treehouse likes this.
  8. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Holic

Right next to my bed, on the other side of the nightstand. My girlfriend falls asleep, I go OFF.

9. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Out. Nothing in a case ever gets played.

10. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Apparently at the guitar store. In the 30 years I've been playing I've tried multiple times to want an acoustic. It's my belief that every player should have one. However, whenever I do it sits in a case for years until I'm gassing for a new toy, then I sell it to fund that new toy.

That being said its my belief that any acoustic worth keeping is worth keeping in the case, unless it's used daily.

11. Gabeezlebub

Gabeezlebub TDPRI Member

I store my guitars in large gun safes (2) with cheapo $11 humidity gauges that are accurate to 1%. I put a sponge in a coffee cup with pure water (or two if necessary) and they do a great job of humidifying without getting too humid in the winter time. One safe is in a room with a dehumidifier in summer. The other I just put a few dehumidifier boxes in it. They can be had at The Dollar Store for a buck.
    A few acoustics that don’t fit in the safes have custom cut sponges placed in flat plastic pint blueberry containers. I saturate the sponges just until they do not drip. These sponges are a lot bigger than the ones you buy for acoustic guitars and they are cheap and go a long ways. And hold alot more water so they don’t have to be replaced nearly as often. I buy alot of blueberries so the plastic containers are free. They have ventilation holes in them and would hold any water that might leak out of the sponges by accident, but that has never actually happened. Ironically, the containers fit perfectly in a guitar case. These are stored flat so the water does not drip more readily from the sponges. The water must be distilled, demineralized, or if you are cheap as me, water used from the dehumidifier for free (I collect it in one gallon plastic milk bottles which also works great for filling the radiators in my cars).
    This may all sound like a lot of work, but on the contrary, is incredibly easy and effective for dealing with the proper humidification (or dehumidification) and storage of guitars. No mildew or mold problems but if you had any you can just disinfect the sponges periodically with a mild bleach solution.

12. JunebugJones

JunebugJones TDPRI Member

Acoustics are detuned and stored in their cases in a rack stand, off the floor and not touching walls, etc., and in a part of the house where the temperature is most consistent year-round. I live in Portland where humidity is always plentiful, so that's less of an issue for me, anyway. The electrics are out in a rack, where I can grab them, since I play them more.

13. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
    Life is very short and there’s no time. 716815B0-2285-4BB0-A867-A6DB54B4DEEF.jpeg

CajunJ likes this.
  14. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Acoustics live in hard shell cases. I take one of them out daily to be played. There are 6 of them. After the one is played, it is put back in the case till played again a week or so later.

There is usually one or two electrics out and about the room.

I keep them on display and to be played, for a week or two.

Then they are returned to their cases.

I then bring out 1 or 2 more.

I keep a close eye on all of them.

There are a total of 12.

15. rze99

rze99 Doctor of Teleocity

Always out always next to the piano

16. Larry Mal

Larry Mal Tele-Meister

I have a four year old and a six year old.

My acoustics are in cases.

cravenmonket likes this.
  17. vintageampz

vintageampz Tele-Meister

Keep it in the bathroom that has the shower you use every day ..... of go buy a Humidifier, cheapskate.

Whether you have many valuable vintage acoustics or you just have one, spend a little more on keeping the environment for them correct!

1964 Gibson B-20, 1965 Gibson LG-1 (rare), 1953 Gibson L-50, the "twins" 1956 and 57 ES-225N and 225SB, 1968 Gibson ES-175DN .... and others. I keep all my acoustics in one room with a computer controlled Humidifier/Dehumidifier.

Gibson B 20 1964.jpg
    Gibson LG-1 1965 rare.jpg
    L-50_1953_mine $1600.jpg Twins_56-57_ES-225N_SB.jpg

1968 Gibson ES-175DN rare nat $3100.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.