1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Where do you keep your acoustic?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by CajunJ, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

I keep my Gibson Hummingbird in a case, but it's only a foot or two away. I just think an acoustic instrument is best left in a case for safety and humidity concerns.

telestratosonic and CajunJ like this.
  2. willie

willie TDPRI Member

I keep my Taylor and my classical in stands that sit in opposite corners of my dining room, (have for the past 22 years) which is adjacent to the living room...I play those guitars very often as they are always in my face...my electrics are in the music studio and get played far less....weird.

w

3. Old duck

Old duck Tele-Meister

Nope, that's about $65k, absolutely never use the fireplace!

Treehouse likes this.
  4. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

Maybe you could convert it to a humidifier @Old duck

Old duck likes this.
  5. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I keep one out, on a wall hanger, and the other in a newly acquired gig bag.

6. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

All my guitars are hanging in my family room. House is well insulated with central air and central humidity. I find that if you make the guitars easily accessible you play more.

7. hockey guy

hockey guy Tele-Meister

I have 2 Martin acoustics. I too keep them in their cases with humidity paks.

CajunJ likes this.
  8. COOPSTER

COOPSTER TDPRI Member

My vintage Ibanez Concord 752 Black Beauty stays on its stand year round... the wood has set after 45 years and doesn't budge regardless of humidity levels.
    upload_2020-8-28_15-1-52.png

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    CajunJ likes this.
  9. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Usually in a case, but lately out on a stand as we’ve had our dehumidifier out maintaining 45% humidity. We’ll see how it goes in the winter when it gets super dry, not sure we’ll run our humidifier all the time.

10. RPKennedy

RPKennedy TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Within arms reach of my computer desk, which is where I spend too much time these days.
    Humidifier comes on during the winters.
    E29E786D-72AD-478E-A64B-3C9E077B3669_1_201_a.jpeg

CajunJ likes this.
  11. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

I keep all my acoustic guitars at the store. To me that's where they belong. I have no use for an acoustic, LOL. They usually have a nice humidified room at the guitar stores for acoustics so I leave them there.

I'm an electric guitar player.

stratoman1 likes this.
  12. lousy13

lousy13 Tele-Meister

In a case with humidifier packs and in my guitar room with a room humidifier. It stays around 40-50 percent relative humidity. Colorado is tough on acoustics year round. I have 2 Martins and the HD-35 has a small crack in the top because I hadn't wised up to humidity problems in Colorado when I moved here many years ago.

sad99 likes this.
  13. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

It’s the Sonoran Desert. In the case, with the humidification stuff. Not risking good guitars with the RH as low a 2% and routinely having days in the teens.

14. Auherre756

Auherre756 TDPRI Member

My solid-top acoustics reside in cases with humidifiers and stored upright -- emphasis on the word "stored" -- when go un-played for a couple of weeks.

15. jsalvaggio

jsalvaggio Tele-Meister

In the music store? ;) Don't own an acoustic at the moment.

16. Auherre756

Auherre756 TDPRI Member

Wow, my guitars are cracking just reading this!

17. Eric Wall

Eric Wall TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I've seen every reply and only have this to offer. I have way, way more acoustic guitars than electric. All acoustics are in their cases unless they are being played. I have never, ever seen recommendations to leave them out on a wall or stand in an environment where the humidity can't be controlled or unless they are pure junk or you simply don't care. I live in an area where fortunately, keeping them in cases is all that is needed all year. Electrics/tele's? These are slab wood monsters that should pretty much be able to tolerate huge swings in humidity/temperature almost anywhere in the world. I suppose if the humidity is so high, the metal parts will rust. So then you can replace them

18. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

I do make an exception to the idea that electrics are just a hunk of wood for my thinline Tele. Not sure if that is just me being paranoid, or if I’m doing the right thing. OTOH, at the worst, it is just a bit of wasted effort (and the placebo effect makes me feel better). I’d be the same way for any hollow or semi-hollow body.

19. bigjohnbates

bigjohnbates Tele-Meister

I wonder about this as well. Living on the ocean the relative humidity is quite high and there is literally always some standing water in the environment. I have only had issues with a couple of guitars and then only when they left the environment. One was a LP Custom with finish issues only while the other was an old Kay f-hole acoustic who's neck joint failed. No truss rod either so that didn't help.

20. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

Mine are in their cases and upright. Always humid here in TX. I really never gave it a thought.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.