1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Where do you keep your acoustic?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by CajunJ, Aug 23, 2020.

1. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Beater Yamaha right next to my recliner .Easy reach, wife complains when I play electric in living room.

CajunJ likes this.
  2. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mine spend their time off in a 6-guitar padded rack that folds into what looks like a short guitar case.

CajunJ likes this.
  3. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

In the case, with a humidifier...

Less likely to get dinged, or dry out. ;)

CajunJ likes this.
  4. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Holic

All kept in very similar looking cases that way the wife doesn't notice any lineup changes:twisted:

Maguchi and CajunJ like this.
  5. zezone

zezone Tele-Meister

Electrics hang, acoustic is in case when not played. Two toddlers make it necessary.

CajunJ likes this.
  6. teleteej

teleteej TDPRI Member

All of mine live in hard cases when they are not being played. Humidifiers are a must in the winter months.

Saltybyte and CajunJ like this.
  7. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

Lucky here, humidity is 40-60% all year round and winters mild enough that heating very rarely needed. It would sadden me a little to leave guitars in cases; I love looking at them.

CajunJ likes this.
  8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

In North Texas, I can't stand the thought of bringing my Martin to 'dry heat' PHX...

CajunJ likes this.
  9. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Holic

Case makes me feel safe.;)

CajunJ likes this.
  10. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a five guitar rack/stand that simple keep in the living room. It holds my bass, and a few guitars that I use the most. I have a couple acoustics leaned in the corners. The only things I keep in cases are guitars that are not in use at all and in storage. They’re down in the basement in their cases. Out of the way.

The upstairs stuff that I use regularly only gets cased when it’s going to a gig. And even then, gig bags only. Yes, even the Gibson and the acoustics.

CajunJ likes this.
  11. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I only have one good acoustic (I have another cheap one 3000 miles away at my daughter's place for when / if we visit). I live in a place where humidity can get really low in the winter and fairly high in the summer. So I got a cabinet for it that I can keep humidified with Humidipaks like you'd use in a case. Keep it right in the 45-55% range depending on ambient conditions - usually right around 50%. It's right next to where i sit to play so it's almost as easy to grab as one hanging on a bare well. When the humidity in the room is in the normal range, I'll sometimes leave it unlatched to make getting the guitar out even quicker and easier, but I generally close it at night or anytime the humidity is wonky. These aren't cheap, but they make life with a nice acoustic really easy.

[​IMG]unnamed-1 by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  12. beachbreak

beachbreak Tele-Meister

Martin D18, 50 years old, bought new, always stored in it's case standing up.

It's in wonderful shape.

CajunJ likes this.
  13. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Conservatively, there are probably 50 threads on this exact topic. Where the same things get said.

Roughly 3 categories:

- Chicken Little: the sky is always falling. You need to spend more time maintaining your guitars than playing them. If they are not kept cased at 47.2% on a calibrated hygrometer AT ALL TIMES they will implode, or something catastrophic will happen if someone glances at them wrong.
    - What, Me Worry?: top crack, schmop crack! People didn't worry about this **** years ago and guitars sounded great. Cracks build character. The wood dries out and then it stabilizes forever. Kids and dogs knocking them over is good for them.
    - Middle ground: I keep them at hand. Whether I keep all or some is a function of home size and herd size. If I have 30 guitars some are cased and some are out. I try to keep the room humidified in winter.

There's a practical answer (for me). Middle ground. We have whole home humidifier for allergy and asthma reasons. Our humidity fluctuates from a floor of 40% in winter to up to maybe 70% in summer. But in a given season, the fluctuation is more like 15% tops and takes several days. Within that range I just don't worry about it. If it went over 70%, I probably wouldn't worry about that either.

Which category you fit in is really a function of your mindset, no?

Maguchi likes this.
  14. CajunJ

CajunJ Tele-Holic

Great responses. My D18 has always been in a case with humidity packs. Guess I’m doing it right. Question - Is standing up better for the guitar?

BillH5256 likes this.
  15. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

I keep my two good acoustics cased and my beater on a rack with electrics. In the violin world, keeping violins out of easy reach is seen as a benefit--the ritual of uncasing the instrument, tightening and rosining the bow, putting on the shoulder rest and tuning up means you don't just pick it up and noodle around but deliberately practice for a sustained period. I do that with my violin and acoustic guitars. I keep an electric at work where I do the opposite: it's always at hand for a minute or two of noodling when my brain needs a break.

CajunJ likes this.
  16. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Living room on a stand, not the case at all since it's plywood.

Hasn't complained yet.

17. Churchjack

Churchjack Tele-Meister

All my guitars are hangin’ on the wall.

18. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Friend of Leo's

In the hardshell case when not being played. Humidifier thingy in the sound hole during the winter when the heat is on, otherwise it's pretty humid here in Michigan.

My Guild D25M is 44 years old, and I've always kept it in its carry case when I'm not playing it, since it was new. It has some battle scars because it has been to literally thousands of gigs, but keeping it in a hard shell case has helped preserve it. By the way, the guitar is on its 3rd hardshell case, they don't make the cases as rugged as the guitars apparently. But to my point: the cases took most of the abuse, not my sweet "Louise."

[​IMG]

envirodat and CajunJ like this.
  19. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

Good acoustic: out on a stand in my main living area from April to November. (No kids or pets in the house). In the case with a humidifier in the dry months.

Laminate acoustic is out all year. It comes out when the good acoustic goes away. It’s in the guitar room in the ‘Off’ season...

Milspec likes this.
  20. beachbreak

beachbreak Tele-Meister

Is standing up better for the guitar?

I'm not sure but I have been doing this since I bought my first acoustic, a Gibson.

Dreadnut - you're "baby" is gorgeous. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.